erykah badu

gumdrops

thought i would make a thread for her as theres a new album. funny how her critical rating has gone up so much in the last few years.

http://www.erykahbadu.com/

the new video on the site is well worth watching
though not at work where others can see
i cant remember the last video where someone did something like this
for some reason i keep thinking of madonnas sex book/erotica video

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh good GOD! At last - brilliant news.

I personally wasn't too interested in her before Part 1 - now I realise that she is utterly fantastic. Future soul.

gumdrops

she was always brilliant, shes just gotten 'weirder' in the last few years which seems to have endeared a lot of people who wouldnt normally have been into her.

it's much closer to the first two.

cant wait.

gumdrops

mamas gun is her best album imo. though totally diff to nu amerykah. i think if you liked the last one though youd like a song like on and on, though the newer stuff seems less considered than before.

crackerjack

ah - didn't realise it'd leaked. It's not so much that I didn't like the others, just that I kinda ignored them.

dunno about leaks (tho yeah, probably), i went to a playback couple of weeks back. NA1 was definitely much more out there than her others, which are more obviously neo-soul (tho still brilliant).

basically if you like this song, and, say, Honey off the last album, you shouldn't be disappointed with this album

but don't listen to me - should be out today!

polystyle

Thanks for the vid Gumdrops;
Her tracks improved since the days when The Roots backed her in the various video clips shown on VH1 Soul etc, she's more and more an empowering persona for the ladies,
and she's got geist.
More power to Erykah.
My wife loved seeing this as she' packs for flight to Paris , window seat naturally ...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The tracks on her website are AMAZING :D

Edit: apparently the one that plays on the front page is 'Incense'. Sexiest song of the decade so far.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Our girl's in the Sun

had no idea that was Deeley Plaza

PHP:
ERYKAH BADU has sparked controversy after stripping off at the spot JFK was assassinated.
The American singer revisited the scene of President Kennedy's death to film new video Window Seat.

Erykah said the vid was "shot guerrilla style" with no crew and in just one take on March 17.

Passers-by shouted abuse as she strolled along the Dallas sidewalk topless where JFK was shot in 1963.

Erykah Tweeted: "i was petrified while shooting this video... but liberation began to set in. i conquered many fears in that few moments.

"they (passers-by) were yelling, 'THIS IS A PUBLIC PLACE : YOU OUGHTA BE ASHAMED : PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON : DAMN GIRL! etc."

Erykah revealed she was "too busy lookin for cops" to be embarrassed by her nudity.

Despite protests, no one actually filed a complaint against Erykah and a Dallas Police spokeswoman confirmed she will not face indecent exposure charges.

Erykah said she used the video to make a statement against Groupthink, a belief system where true opinion is suppressed if it opposes the majority belief.

The vid follows Erykah as she walks toward Elm Street - where JFK's assassin fired his rifle.

As she reaches the spot where he was first struck by a bullet, a gunshot is heard and she falls to the ground

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/2913625/Erykah-Badu-strips-at-location-of-JFK-assassination-for-new-video.html#ixzz0jfnwg8tx

ugh, sorry about that ugly text

grizzleb

I have a much similar story to baboon, I always avoided her as basically another boring soulish cunt. Man oh man. When I heard her last album i was like 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaat'. That was only the start of this year too. Looking forward to this.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm not a massive fan, but I love this too pieces:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

A time/place thing as much as a sound thing: it was perfect for my walkman while cycling between Vendee beaches like a gypsy one summer.

CrowleyHead

I have a much similar story to baboon, I always avoided her as basically another boring soulish cunt. Man oh man. When I heard her last album i was like 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaat'. That was only the start of this year too. Looking forward to this.

Likewise, only I heard her last album... What was it... a year and a half ago? Roughly the same time I was battering the shit out of "Los Angeles"... Ahhh, memories.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
this is all sending me back into the arms of MadliB:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

gumdrops

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/01/erykah-badu-new-amerykah-part-two

big review in the guardian. good to see her get such a big writeup but its so predictable how 'weirdness' gets valued so much higher than everything else. typical viewpoint of 'black music must always be forward thinking/socially conscious and this is its only real value of import'. its also just wrong to think it was all just retro for retros sake. badu was to old soul what someone like the arctic monkeys/strokes etc etc (i cant think of a better example) were to old rock, a modern update (if occasionally a bit sample reliant).

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I love the fact in that review that he doesn't know that 'Turn Me Away' is a note-perfect cover of the Sylvia Striplin holy grail of rare groove.

crackerjack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/01/erykah-badu-new-amerykah-part-two

big review in the guardian. good to see her get such a big writeup but its so predictable how 'weirdness' gets valued so much higher than everything else. typical viewpoint of 'black music must always be forward thinking/socially conscious and this is its only real value of import'. its also just wrong to think it was all just retro for retros sake. badu was to old soul what someone like the arctic monkeys/strokes etc etc (i cant think of a better example) were to old rock, a modern update (if occasionally a bit sample reliant).

That just reeked of casting around for an angle. I saw that show (the Manchester one) and although I can't say I enjoyed the ballet dancing, the idea that she was clambering up on her high horse iis just bullshit. Petridis should (does) know better.

I love the fact in that review that he doesn't know that 'Turn Me Away' is a note-perfect cover of the Sylvia Striplin holy grail of rare groove.

Or maybe he doesn't. :eek: