Music is bad

connect_icut

Music is bad. The trouble with music is that it ruins music.

Music is inherently weird and abstract - art and entertainment made out of a bunch of weird sounds produced by these bizarre contraptions! Its magical.

But it's such a ubiquitous part of our culture - more and more so with the proliferation of portable listening devices - that it's inherent strangeness has disappeared. We're used to it.

We should all agree to stop composing, programming, performing, recording, mixing, listening to and discussing music. For the sake of music.

On the other hand, music is bad. So Fuck it.

CrowleyHead

Everytime somebody tells me that something is "MUSIC" with, you know, that emphasis thing? Like "This! NOW THIS! IS MUUUUUUUUUUSIC!" I'm like, "Aw hell, I know where this is going."

connect_icut

...Which might be why some of the stuff you end up liking the best is the stuff that initially makes you ask "is this music?"

The trouble is, sound needs at least a modicum of structural organization and cultural context to work as music. But as soon as you apply these things to music, the process of normalization begins and a little while later, you've got some idiot yelling in your ear: "Now this is music" or - in other words - "I have learned to identify the cultural trappings that make this music whereas the stuff you listen to is just noise. You cunt."

What were we talking about, again?

grizzleb

...Which might be why some of the stuff you end up liking the best is the stuff that initially makes you ask "is this music?"

The trouble is, sound needs at least a modicum of structural organization and cultural context to work as music. But as soon as you apply these things to music, the process of normalization begins and a little while later, you've got some idiot yelling in your ear: "Now this is music" or - in other words - "I have learned to identify the cultural trappings that make this music whereas the stuff you listen to is just noise. You cunt."

What were we talking about, again?

Haha. Yes!

connect_icut

That's the trouble with the way we use music, though - we turn it into talk radio; a stream of dubious "facts" preached to the converted. I'd advise against believing everything you hear on the radio or ever being certain that you really understand the music you love.

grizzleb

I in particular can't stand those 'musowankers'. What, they like music? Cunts.
Yeah, far from discussing music, they should just get hedonistically lost in a crappy, drug-obsessed scene where their shitty half baked 2562 rip-offs get praised despite a dearth of artistic merit or effort.

haha.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, far from discussing music, they should just get hedonistically lost in a crappy, drug-obsessed scene where their shitty half baked 2562 rip-offs get praised despite a dearth of artistic merit or effort.

haha.

They discuss music? I didn't realise it had got that bad. It should be banned. NOW.

Coming up here, giving it all that "That piece of music was quite good, it had a certain emotional resonance for me that reminded me of a children's TV programme I used to watch, sometimes"? Who the fuck do they think they are?

Last edited:

bob effect

somnambulist
facepalm_picard_riker.jpg