malcom mclaren rip

jenks

thread death
Remember there was a time when he was a power in the land of pop/rock. When every issue of Sounds wondered what 'Talcy Malcy' was up to next - Guerilla tape warfare, dodgy paedo fantasies with Bow Wow Wow, NYC skipping, opera, everything was up for grabs and surely that was a good thing.

He turned into a really interesting radio voice - ghosts of London past that only a spieler like him could carry off.

60 odd doesn't seem like much but he did get to fall in love with Lauren Hutton!

stephenk

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<3...well, this song at least

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
http://www.malcolmmclaren.com/

Poor choice of words on the holding page methinks.

That's kindof genius.

This is my favourite of his, one of many he had a hand in I consider seminal and changed my life.. One of my favourite tracks ever.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mistersloane

Actually I'm gonna go off here, I owe McLaren such a huge debt - he introduced me to scratching and thus making music; he introduced me to outrage (nudity! vis BowWowWow); he was responsible for nicking the band and thus Adam and the Ants were reborn (Kings of the Wild Frontier - my first cassette!); he introduced me to opera; he introduced me to South African music; he didn't introduce me to punk (that was courtesy of my sister Louise and 999) but he introduced me to the idea that music could be sexy courtesy of 'Friggin in the Riggin'...let alone his connections with stuff I done in my later life. I fucking really owe him one, and I'm raising a glass now.

mistersloane

Oh and he's responsible for introducing me to art via Keith Haring. Fucking hell, the most important influence on my life just died and I never even sent him an email.

zhao

there are no accidents
Oh and he's responsible for

World Music 2.0

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

massrock

Actually I'm gonna go off here, I owe McLaren such a huge debt - he introduced me to scratching and thus making music; he introduced me to outrage (nudity! vis BowWowWow); he was responsible for nicking the band and thus Adam and the Ants were reborn (Kings of the Wild Frontier - my first cassette!); he introduced me to opera; he introduced me to South African music; he didn't introduce me to punk (that was courtesy of my sister Louise and 999) but he introduced me to the idea that music could be sexy courtesy of 'Friggin in the Riggin'...let alone his connections with stuff I done in my later life. I fucking really owe him one, and I'm raising a glass now.
Same things, almost exactly. Including KOTWF cassette which I wore out.

Though I think I Saw Her Standing There was sexy music for me before 'Friggin' in the Riggin'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
RIP
In many ways a difficult man to like, IMO, but I also reckon the world will be quite a lot less interesting without him in it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's kindof genius.

This is my favourite of his, one of many he had a hand in I consider seminal and changed my life.. One of my favourite tracks ever.

really liking the housey synth wave bits from 1:00 onwards...nice mixture

massrock

That'll be Anne Dudley most likely, maybe Thomas Dolby. Sounds a lot like some of the AON stuff.

I guess he kind of invented the Art Of Noise as well. They were a hugely important group for me.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah I think I read somewhere that AON emerged out of discussions during studio "downtime" for Duck Rock...

and yes, they were ace, Art of Noise. I was in their fan club, ha ha.