luddite asks: charging iphone and macbook pro

Leo

this has probably been asked before but i can't find anything here, so...

what's best practice for charging a 3Gs iphone? i've heard opposing recommendations. the tech guy at the at&t store said to always let it go down to practically zero before charging, don't "top it up" if it's just at, like, 50%, and never leave it plugged into the charger overnight. yet i've heard other people say the new lithium batteries don't have those restrictions/requirements.

and similar question for a new macbook pro? i use mine all day at my desk, so usually leave it plugged in all the time...should i instead let it run down each day and plug in when almost drained? and do you really need to drain it out all the way once in a while to preserve battery life? and should it be unplugged when in sleep mode or off?

thanks.

Leo

Cant speak specifically about iphones and macbooks. I think it depends on the battery type. I used to look at this http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
but nowadays I just do a full charge/full discharge then use without a care and assume that the batteries don't have a charge cycle 'memory'.

wow, that's detailed, thanks...although some of it is from 2003-2004. and some of it seems to contradict what's on the apple site for lithium batteries. hmm...