Tremé

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
7478_30_03_09_10_05_24.jpg

Anyone caught this yet? I just watched episode 1 and it was pretty damn good. If you don't know, it's David Simon and a lot of his Wire / Homicide regulars making a new drama about post-Katrina New Orleans (the Tremé district in particular), and with the focus on the music / jazz scene rather than crime'n'cops.

Wasn't without its flaws - the British TV journalist was too much of a caricature; the annoying DJ is TOO annoying. But it looks great, sounds perfect, has some amazing cameos (Kermit Ruffins for one..) and is shaping up well.

Despite being a bit obsessed with the place, I've never been so I can't account for its "authenticity" but I know they put the research in and it certainly seemed legit.

Anyone?

polystyle

yeah I liked it !
and had started talking about it on "The Wire" thread ,
it deserves it's own thread- as does NO in general

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
if nothing else, this will go down as the TV series with the best music ever, certainly that I can think of. Pretty much all killer no filler - if I haven't got a track (and I do have shitloads of Crescent City stuff), I'll probably want it.

polystyle

Third Ep on tonight ...
have been enjoying, the white muso guy character is a bit tiring already -
but he must be there for a reason !

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
i think it needs to up its game a bit - I know it's slowburn but Ep 2 was pretty much a re-run of Ep1 - 50% polemic and 50% "hey, it's XXX" cameos. Which are fine - I could happily watch an hour of shots of the city with Professor Longhair over the top, to be honest - but it needs some drama soon, really.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i think it needs to up its game a bit - I know it's slowburn but Ep 2 was pretty much a re-run of Ep1 - 50% polemic and 50% "hey, it's XXX" cameos. Which are fine - I could happily watch an hour of shots of the city with Professor Longhair over the top, to be honest - but it needs some drama soon, really.

eventually i’d like to see drama but I do love it slow and parts existential. the shots of Bunk joining the parade on Ep1 was headed in the right direction imo - less edits combined with gentle unfolding scenes is what I hope to see more of. It’s what’s lacking in 99% of cinema and telly, whatever happed to good old fashion pedestrian pace? relieved to find David Simon is in more ways than one is sticking to his guns.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
oh, i agree it's a refreshing change from quick cut TV etc. But after just 2eps it's already risking seeming formulaic. The cameos seem to follow a very similar format each time, for example. Doesn't need car chases, but some tension or drama or deeper characterisation

nochexxx

harco pronting
finished ep 3 and still engrossed. Khandi Alexander is paying MASS dividends!
Anyone else think Ziggy should have played the ‘annoying musician’ guy?

polystyle

Episode 3 felt pretty great, the endings of 1 and 3 both well worth seeing.
A little bite in the end of this last one- 'Katrina tour' guide drives his minivan filled with camera toting gawkers past the Indian's who are just revving up their chants for the first time since the big K.
Rolls down window and peers out .

Don't get out the bus muthaf****

Also , if anyone's gotten hungry for NO food ... he he - advice from the NY 'Times no less.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/dining/28note.html?8dpc

Last edited by a moderator: