EU trade sanctions against Israel?

D

droid

Fairly mild, but harsh by EU standards. No doubt prompted by Gaza, passports and the recent ethnic cleansing scare in the west bank:

Sanctions are a very broad term because they can range from simply refusing to have relationships with Israel at all at European level or indeed cutting off trade links to relatively milder steps, such as calling into question the trade agreement we have which gives Israel duty free access to the European markets. This would be a huge blow to them, although it wouldn't prevent them from exporting to the Europe market. They would not have the financial advantages of selling their goods on the EU market free of duty.

Until now the EU has been reluctant to even hint that such a thing would be possible. I think, given the situation at the moment, it is necessary for the European Union to go beyond statements saying the siege of Gaza is unacceptable and that the settlements are illegal. They need to make it clear to Israel that if they continue beyond a certain point that Europe will have to take some action to indicate its dissatisfaction. That obviously could come under the heading of sanctions.

http://www.touteleurope.fr/fr/de/na...e-with-israel-in-future.html?cHash=9c03a5889c

Last edited by a moderator:
D

droid

LOL, Well even reading it would have helped. I heard an interview on the radio and just C+Pd the first link on autopilot. Fixed now.

grizzleb

It's crazy that there is no tax on Israeli imports and exports from and into the EU - that's one of the main reasons that countries would want to join the EU, but without any of the associated baggage. I didn't know about that until I read this.
Good that there's some sanctions being taken. Stuff like Israel stealing British passports, and all manner of assorted dodgy shit (like the oppression of the palestinian people for starters) makes you wonder why so many people view Israel as a bastion of liberalism in the region.

Last edited: