Postcard Records

Woebot

Did anyone else pick up the latest issue of uncut? Maybe I'm showing my age, but thats a damn fine magazine, Anyway theyd had a big very cool thing on Postcard. Shamefully I really missed out on all this stuff, even though for some time I lived on West Princes Street, wherein Alan Horne originally operated (out of his sock draw).

I did once have the Orange Juice Lp with the Dolphins on the cover, which I never really enjoyed and flogged, though which I think I'd like more now. When i was in Mono I got Steven Pastel and the other guy there to reccommend me a Josef K LP and walked away with "The Only Fun in Town" That was a pleasingly resonant moment too (vis a vis Optimo) Jeez this is a blog entry innit!

Strikes me those Postcard records had a lot to answer for, that they're correctly invoked by a lot of musicians. For example The Pastels, Teenage Fanclub (holds breath), Franz Ferdinand even the Optimo crew. And with Reynolds' new book being named after an Orange Juice song, looks like this stuff is going to rocket into the limelight again.

jenks

thread death
yeah, loved the postcard stuff in uncut and blissblogger's scritti piece was well worth the read. i do like uncut but feel that it is at its best when it moves away from 'rock's rich tapestry' - for example - yet another article on the making of tommy or such like. i think word magazine is starting to really find a place in the market, finally defining what it is and who it wants to read it. like the fact it has some interest in books that aren't chuck fight club's latest.
p.s. what is the latest on edwin collins?

3underscore

I’d take a bet it was more Keith into the postcard side of things, what with his Edinburgh history. Postcard is a much more praised label than I can understand – as much as I do like Josef K and Aztec (especially JK), I have never been a big fan of Orange Juice, or really of the Go Betweens.

I think more of the debt to Edinburgh runs to the Fire Engines than any other band (who were fantastic, and on Fast), and Josef K were a bit of a misnomer to the “twee” that postcard is often renown.

Rachel Verinder

Were it not for Paul Lester you wouldn't have had either of these pieces in Uncut.

They don't have me in Uncut anymore either.

I am not sure whether this is a happy or sad ending.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
> I think more of the debt to Edinburgh runs to the Fire Engines than any other band (who were fantastic, and on Fast)

Good band. Didn't they have something to do with Crispy Ambhulance? Didn't the sinjger go on to do that fantastic bit of linga-longa-proto-techno "You've Got the Power (to generate fear)"?

> Orange Juice
You can't hide your love forever. Good band but only really for Rip It Up and Start Again.

Edwyn's solo stuff is good (and he made a lot of money out of it). He had a brain tumour earlier this year.

> The Pastels
Shit. Really, really shit. All that jangling nonsense is just pukeworthy.

> the Go Betweens
SO shit

> Teenage Fanclub (holds breath)
Alright I suppose. Not for me.

Nah, they're shit :)

> Josef K
Never got into 'em. I always thought, "But there's Clock DVA!"

> Aztec Camera
Fantastic.

High land, hard rain is one of the most perfect albums ever recorded.

So, like, what happened? Bet he got fucked over by the record company.

> Franz Ferdinand
beginning to quite like 'em.

> Scritti
still really, really like. CHOONS.

> Uncut
It's alright. I only read it -- my sister's copy -- for the clash stuff, which was good. Made me really angry that there wasn't enough black music in it but then I decided not to re-fight 1986' battles in my mind. Yeah, it's about half as good as Q was in its scratch'n'sniff prog-fan early-nineties glory.

Word is like having a dog throw up on your face.

Rachel Verinder

I'm a bit pissed off that Roddy Frame won't reissue his Postcard stuff on CD because he considers them rare treasures too valuable to be wasted on pleb record buyers or whatever it was he said in that Uncut piece. Very democratic - let everyone buy second-hand copies for a tenner apiece!

blissblogger

edwyn

mr lester tells me Edwyn is off the critical list but a long way from recovered. still that is tentative good news.

i've got almost the exact opposite take on postcard than meme:

orange juice/early stuff and you can't hide yr love-- endless brilliance

orange juice/rip it up lp -- singles great, the rest blah

josef k/endless brilliance

aztec camera/sweet verging on cloying on the postcard singles, thereafter one of the most boring bands of the last few decades

go between/enchanting if emaciated at least until 86.

edwyn's solo career -- we all adore 'a girl like you' but cmon this guy's biggest eighties single was called 'don't shilly shally'!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Rachel Verinder said:
I'm a bit pissed off that Roddy Frame won't reissue his Postcard stuff on CD

I read somewhere few days ago that Matador want to reissue all the Postacard singles in next months or something... thinking about it I was probably dreaming...

will buy Uncut tomorrow also for the Blissblogger piece, but i never loved the magazine, even some great writer (that for various reasons now don't write in Uncut anymore) rarely did really shine in it.

Last edited:

blissblogger

good news about EC

momus posted this today on ILM:

Grace notes more progress on Edwyn's site:
"Dear All This is the most relaxed I've felt
about giving you news since this all began.
I think we can say that Edwyn is now virtually out of immediate danger.
We are organising his next move, to intensive neuro rehabilitation,
which should happen in the next few weeks at the latest.
This is a tough challenge, but you know he's beaten the odds already
and I fully expect him to go on in his customary stubborn manner.
He is aware of the wonderful support he has received and I'm printing
all the messages out so he can read them when he is able in the near future.
If you wish, you can send cards to him at:
West Heath Studios,
West Heath Yard,
174 Mill Lane,
London, NW6 1TB.

Meanwhile, his doctors are delighted and a bit confounded at his progress. He's Edwyn.
Love to you all Grace"

Woebot

these arent as difficult to get hold of as i thought they might be (and poor old soul forthcoming)

and not at all dear either. the price of a grime 12"

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
orange juice/early stuff and you can't hide yr love-- endless brilliance

I just thoiught -- FELICITY!

orange juice/rip it up lp -- singles great, the rest blah
Yeah, Rip It Up's what it's all about you don't need the rest...

"And my favourite song's entitled... boooooooorrreeeddddooooommmmm..."

josef k/endless brilliance
Thing is, I can't remember a single tune.

I just keep getting "Shot by both sides" in my head, and I was never convinced by that.

aztec camera/sweet verging on cloying on the postcard singles, thereafter one of the most boring bands of the last few decades
Ah, but High Land Hard Rain... I remember it being flawless at the time. Loved the shell suits. And the fringe.

edwyn's solo career -- we all adore 'a girl like you' but cmon this guy's biggest eighties single was called 'don't shilly shally'

By "solo career" I meant A Girl Like You -- I ignore the rest other than financially. He's one of the few artists to maintain a career, score a few moderate hits, while doing the business side himself and literally becoming a millionaire in the process. Good work.

NP: Melvyn Bragg / In Our Time on Angels...