Luke Haines

jenks

thread death
Don't know whether this belongs in music or books...

Been reading Bad Vibes by Haines. A genuinely funny account of the mass hypnosis that was Britpop. Haines comes out of the whole affair as a principled bastard who seems to sabotage his career at every turn. He nails all the usual suspects with an unerring precision but none more so than himself.

I went back and listened to the Auteurs stuff again - it's not bad - certainly travels better than the first Suede album (and certainly better than Elastica's). I never got on with Black Box Recorder but warmed to his recent solo album.

Anyone else give a monkey's about him?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Love him, gonna listen to Showgirl right now. I'd argue for them as the best indie band of the 90s. Liked Baader Meinhof a lot too.

Black Box Recorder are the funniest band in the world!

Haven't read the book yet - must remember to get it at Fopp if possible.

Edit: Now I'm a Cowboy was the one for me. Absurdly underrated chamber pop.

Last edited:

JWoulf

Love him, Hero he is. Lyrics are always so intelligent and bitter it doesnt really matter what you listen to, but for a newcomer id recommend steve albini produced murder park, or baader meinhof. That said, i love everything he touches.

wascal

Wild Horses
Enjoyable read, he really doesn't hold back from having digs at pretty much everyone he encountered in the 90s :D The bits about Blur and the Boo Radleys made me chuckle.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
Haines is great and I thought Bad Vibes was a fantastic read. Never did quite work out who the unnamed rock band were on the Iceland trip. Any suggestions?

His 2000 solo album The Oliver Twist Manifesto is fantastic - sounds like he's seething whilst not sounding bothered, a pretty effective combination. The Auteurs' stuff has dated very well too.