Scouse House

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
In tandem with the Is anyone in Grime/NUKG/Garage actually making any money?, I’ve been listening to some of the scouse house over at Juno. (Aside: what a superb on-line shop/resource this is. I can’t get over the amount of stuff you can hear at any given moment. Just wonderful.)

So, is Liverpool the latest bastion of ‘ardkore now? Because this stuff sounds exactly like happy hardcore. Is the scene as insular as the term scouse house would lead one to believe? If so, are these guys making money? The releases listed all look very pretty; not your typical “white label with ball-point tracklist”.

Someone give us a rundown.

wild greens

Etc

15 year old lads on mitsis blagging their way into the 051

The sunrise got very dark and mad by the end of the scene

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some of the worst music ever made tbh. what the fuck is this garbage? the worst tendancies of happy hardcore zoomed into infinity.

a complete betrayal of all that london and A Guy Called Gerald stands for urban/black modernism is out and white feudalism with pesky epic emotions is in.

wild greens

bump, forgot how a tune is called but sounds vaguely like this:

and I mean the single note fingering on the lead synth that has a bouncy pitch envelope

You may want stuff like

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Ultrabeat/Resonance Q were working night shift in the Marriott when they made those tunes. Eventually became Camelphat etc

there's about 5 gazillion happy hardcore/scouse house covers of this.
Decent enough the original tbh, a bit of a bop, as the kids say. crossover freestyle. Bit of 80s miami cocaine hypertension modernism around the 3m51s mark.

Beverley Craven is another one those boys love.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
seems like gabba wasn't a big thing in scouseland @wild greens

fucking mental tune, my mate in yorkshire used to hammer this shit on his internet radio in our teens.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
loads of fucking great techno djs in liverpool though, john heckel, Mark Forshaw, Binny, Andy Nicholson etc.

Really great mix from the head front panel maestro, this is what its about.

wild greens

seems like gabba wasn't a big thing in scouseland @wild greens

Yes & no. Scouse House was kids music really I would say. You had 3 or 4 big room clubs that played it - 051, Paradox, Pleasure Rooms (that took over from Paradox really), Sunrise after hours. These were like the gateway clubs that let in older looking teens alongside loads of scals in their early 20s. By the end 051 got shut down after a few dealers got shot- same as the State- but Sunrise stayed open (it was upstairs), and that ended up very fast and mad. My weird drug days.

The heavy industrial techno end of Liverpool went to Voodoo, T-Funkshun, Bugged Out to a lesser extent, Club 303 was meant to be good but i only went there completely banjaxed once and dont remember it.

Gabber/hardcore etc you had a few things like Hyperspeed but to be honest they weren't really my scene, it was all a bit gatecrasher kids

Theres a good film Shooters from 2000ish- I've lashed it in here before- which shows the Pleasure Rooms and the type of kids who went to these scouse house raves. One of them, it was great for starting out but but by the time you were 18/19 you had to be moving on as there were no good birds in these raves and tbh the gun violence was getting mental 02/03

wild greens

I remember seeing British Murder Boys in 2003 at the Masque Venue and that scene was huge then but to be honest my head had been turned by London music then so i wasn't as arsed about any of it then

loads of fucking great techno djs in liverpool though, john heckel, Mark Forshaw, Binny, Andy Nicholson etc.

Really great mix from the head front panel maestro, this is what its about.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The scene i miss most from these days was the more glamorous clubs to be honest, Society/Garlands/Circus/Barcelona Bar etc etc

Anyway if there is a scouse house resurgence all the records are still in my dads i think

ive never missed clubbing. how bizarre. i just miss a certain kind of speaker punishment with my head inside a sub. what is there to miss in clubs really.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think by and large people who love clubbing as social event are the most boring and basic people in the world. you can just smell the lack of inquisitiveness and the total conformity of pointlessly dilitata small talk from a mile off.