Hitting the ground running for finding decent London events.

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Hi all,

Looks like I'll be in London from about 1st-9th of June. I used to live there in 2000-2002 and it was easy to find decent events - you just walked into a decent vinyl shop and started looking for flyers.

I was back again in 2008 and noticed that there were hardly any flyers, certainly not the big chaotic mess of glossy paper that you'd find in most shops 6 years previous.

While the environment probably appreciates the change, it does make it a bit harder to find a one-stop-shop for planning nights out. The internet is great, but it's all over the place, I find - removed from street level. Maybe I've just checked the wrong places.

Without resorting to extreme solutions like (God forbid) buying a copy of Time Out, how do you recommend I track down decent events? Mainly I'm thinking garage, dubstep, funky-type stuff.

[Note I'm not looking for specific events to go to, just general, uh, strategies]

thanks!
Matthew

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
dubstepforum events page is really good - I asked a similar question a couple of months ago, so can vouch for it!

As to funky nights - when you find out, let me know!

samdiamond

I'd have a walk round the soho record shops and pick up as many flyers as you can. Maybe if you're on Twitter (though this might sound a bit silly) start following labels/djs/promoters that you like, they usually post event info on the reg

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
I'll give the Dubstepforum a look.

Samdiamond: These days are flyers really representative of what's going on? I'll be in record shops regardless, so I'll be looking anyways, but would the really small-scale events bother with flyers? Those hidden gems are often the most interesting.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
It's interesting that some of the squat parties seem to have gone back to flyers, kind of like they're retreating from the internet. No bad thing I think.

samdiamond

well yeah, depends what you're looking for i suppose. pretty much all the 'big' nights at 'proper' venues have flyers and some of the squat stuff does, all in record shops. most of the small stuff is just word of mouth/a facebook events page or occasionally homemade flyers