PDA

View Full Version : Editing Together .avis

Brother Randy Hickey
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Ello - wanted to pick the brains of any movie-editing savvy posters. Please note: i'm NOT technical, don't have reams of software or processing power...

Problem 1:

Short summary: making a compilation movie to run as a backdrop at nights I run.

So I've labouriously ripped appropriate scenes from dozens of different movies using VirtualDub. That bit was fairly painless.

However, I've tried various "easy" means to combine all these clips - Windows MovieMaker, Nero Vision etc - which just don't work. They either can't cope with the file size or .. well, I dunno.

I then tried to drop some files back into Virtual Dub and combine them that way, but it turns out when I ripped the clips originally, I paid no heed to the sample rate (didn't know I needed to for a fairly basic project) so Virtual Dub won't let me append one on the other.

Any suggestions on what application I might be able to "source" which would let me edit these files together really basically (i mean, some transitions / wipes options would be cool but it's not a dealbreaker).

Brother Randy Hickey
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
If I drop an .avi into Virtual Dub - say a 700mb rip of a 2 hour movie - and then crop out and resave a clip of about 30 seconds, how on earth is that clip about ending up about 200mb despite being a fraction of the length of the original file? What's being expanding, and how do I stop it? (do i even WANT to stop it?)

Brother Randy Hickey
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
actually, don't worry - it seems that my problem was using shonky amateur apps. I've just "acquired" Adobe Premiere and while it's gonna take time to learn it all, it clearly does the job...

mistersloane
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I can probably do it for you in a couple of hours if you wanna drop the stuff round, I'm in Rotherhithe