Adapter adaptor

STN

sou'wester
I have been given a clock, which runs off the mains electricity supply. The problem is that it has a US plug (one of the two-pronged ones) and living in the UK I need a three-pronged plug (I think the voltages are different too). Is it safe to just run it through an adaptor permanently? Or will it explode. If the latter, does anyone have any other ideas, like where I could get the clock converted from US to UK?

sufi

lala
no idea sorry, apart from i blew up uk devices in the states before :slanted: thought this might be a thread about spelling actually

STN

sou'wester
The title was sort of an in-joke with myself about that captain beefheart song. Thanks for the blowing-up info though, that is important.

hint

party record with a siren
Check the voltage rating on the back - some electrical items can automatically switch between voltages, some will have a physical switch (either external or internal) that you'll need to set for 240v operation, some can't be switched at all. Some need an internal fuse change etc etc... you get the idea.

Anyway - it should be pretty clear from the info on the back / bottom what type of voltage the clock is designed to run on. If it only mentions 110v, you'll need a step-down transformer to avoid blowing it up.