for all the oneohtrix point never fans!

stephenk

nice thanks
he's definitely someone for whom there's a lot of past signifiers to be found but nobody can be bothered to say anything more than "klaus schulze"
so these are really welcome

Woebot

i have that leon "nommos" and (ach) it's not a pretty thing. i'd *love* to love it.....but....

gonna check this one and the Paul Nelson though

people talk about oneohtrix's "analogue synth collection" but actually a lot of it sounds like early digital synths....maybe i'm wrong.

i like this guy oneohtrix's style, and it's often guilelessly lovely, but sometimes i question the substance of this gutter ambient stuff.

skull kid

i think his main setup is a juno 60 and msq100 sequencer, mixed down to a daw. apparently he also uses an electribe so maybe that's where you're hearing the digital sounds

so psyched to hear the new album

grizzleb

Will need to check out more - regarding substance, I find there's very little ambient music with much real depth for my money. Jan Jelinek, Alva Noto, and a few others but that's it. Anyone know any ambient cunts that aren't just a synth pad and a bit of reverb?

Dusty

Tone deaf
I'm going to have to go back through my ambient stuff now, see what i have that I've forgotten about. I feel a new thread coming on.

I have plenty of Namlook but that certainly is just a synth pad with a bit of reverb.

skull kid

"Anyone know any ambient cunts that aren't just a synth pad and a bit of reverb?"

nope. none. you'd probably be best off sticking with whatever boring variant on dubstep is currently flavour of the month

grizzleb

"Anyone know any ambient cunts that aren't just a synth pad and a bit of reverb?"

nope. none. you'd probably be best off sticking with whatever boring variant on dubstep is currently flavour of the month
Cheers for that. I actually pointed out a couple of people who are doing interesting stuff with ambient that isn't as lazy as what I just outlined. The latest 'flavour of the month' - hahaha. Yeah, like all music shouldn't strive to be actually creative rather than relying on worn out tropes and techniques?

grizzleb

I'm going to have to go back through my ambient stuff now, see what i have that I've forgotten about. I feel a new thread coming on.

I have plenty of Namlook but that certainly is just a synth pad with a bit of reverb.
Yeah there's defo some room for an ambient thread. There's loads of stuff I've got that I've forgotten about too.

skull kid

the whole "just a dude playing playing a synth through a reverb pedal" thing is just such a shallow way of thinking about ambient, and music in general. like, next you're gonna tell me that "acid tracks" is just a drum machine and a bit of 303. and that world of echo is just some dude singing into a delay pedal. and let me guess -- your five year old could paint a picasso, right?

Dusty

Tone deaf
the whole "just a dude playing playing a synth through a reverb pedal" thing is just such a shallow way of thinking about ambient

I don't think he was being serious?

mms

sometimes
i have that leon "nommos" and (ach) it's not a pretty thing. i'd *love* to love it.....but....

gonna check this one and the Paul Nelson though

people talk about oneohtrix's "analogue synth collection" but actually a lot of it sounds like early digital synths....maybe i'm wrong.

i like this guy oneohtrix's style, and it's often guilelessly lovely, but sometimes i question the substance of this gutter ambient stuff.

he plays junos mainly - 60's he puts them thru pedals echoplex etc, digital fx too.

Last edited:

stephenk

i always thought this as well; i'm no synth expert but i have a very budget 1990s groovebox and that crisp tone on a lot of his tracks isn't so far removed from it.

+ agree on the second point as well, as often as i play his more arpeggiated stuff there is this depressing emptiness to it. it's glossy but really skeletal and makes me uneasy where a lot of ambient is about comforting blankets.
i love when he's more subdued, "grief and repetition" and "behind the bank"...as well as his "lady in red" loop, which should go in that "late night city aesthetic" thread:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

polystyle

yes, hopefully joking because someone somewhere will begin using 'ambient cunts' and we'll be hearing it ad n. ;)