help me with my uganda ragga videos and the uploading thereof

john eden

male pale and stale
OK so around 2005 I was in Uganda and had a great time.

I got some guys in a little hole in the wall shop to burn some ugandan reggae vids to a cd for me but I can't get it to work. They did it on a PC and I have a mac.

None of the files I click on will open up for me.

I would happily stick em on youtube if I could get them to work.

Here is the directory of files on the CD:

Picture-2.png

massrock

Looks like it's probably a VCD (video CD) disk John.

You should be able to open that with VLC player, but maybe you've tried that. ;)
(don't click on any of those files, just try opening the disc from within the player)

Also many DVD players will just play those. Not sure about converting but if you search for 'convert VCD' you'll most likely find lots of utilities that will turn it into something else.

john eden

male pale and stale
nah the disc just goes round but nothing happens.

I'll try it on my dvd player and see if that does anything...

nomos

Administrator
john, maybe you've done this already but i searched 'mpegav os x' and this looked helpful...

Quote from: tysoh on 07 Dec 07, 1947H

You may use following applications to view VCD in Leopard Mac OS 10.5.1:

-- QuickTime player 7.3 with MPEG-2 Playback component (SGD 35 from Apple online store, refer to www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2 for details).
-- Elgato's EyeTV 2.5.1 application (you can purchase it as standalone application without TV tuner hardware from online store www.elgato.com for USD 79.95).
-- Public domain software VLC 0.8.6d (download for free from www.videolan.org).

The procedure has been posted by other subscriber:

-- Insert VCD and wait for it to be mounted and appear in desktop.
-- Nagvigate to MPEGAV folder on the VCD.
-- Right click on the file xxxx.DAT and choice to open it with any of the above mentioned applications.
-- Since VCD uses MPEG-1 encoding format whereas video DVD uses much better MPEG-2 format, don't be alarmed by course resolution.

You may want to consider converting video file in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format into H.264 MPEG-4 format as these are no longer default formats for video on Mac and other Apple products.

http://www.macusersg.org/forums/index.php?topic=43499.0

There's got to be a way

massrock

VCDs have menus and things like DVDs do but the .dat files are the actual vids.

If you can drag those to the hard drive they should be usable by themselves. Maybe rename them .mpg so programs know what they are.

john eden

male pale and stale
the dvd player showed the menu but could get no further. will try out some of the other bits suggested here...

john eden

male pale and stale
VCDs have menus and things like DVDs do but the .dat files are the actual vids.

If you can drag those to the hard drive they should be usable by themselves. Maybe rename them .mpg so programs know what they are.

aha!

progress - sorry you had to say this twice, massrock, I'm just a bit sceptical of simply changing file names over, but it seems to work!
Stay tuned.....

john eden

male pale and stale
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

john eden

male pale and stale
Yes I think my career as an ethnomusicologist is off to a great start here! :D

More to come including some bloggage/ unnecessary commentary.