Noise Factory

shaolinsoul

Anyone have more information on this guy? Does he even still do music?? Im talking about the legendary hardcore producer from Ibiza and 3rd party records.

Just wondering anyways, had a dig on some old hardcore late last night and for me his tunes were always the ones that stood out the most. Sounds like sped up hip hop breaks ,80's funk and reggae dub mixed down with a severe case of attention deficit disorder.

And you know just for good measure.."ladies choice" still kills the dance every time I play it.

Last edited:

Woebot

Anyone have more information on this guy? Does he even still do music?? Im talking about the legendary hardcore producer from Ibiza and 3rd party records.

Just wondering anyways, had a dig on some old hardcore late last night and for me his tunes were always the ones that stood out the most. Sounds like sped up hip hop breaks ,80's funk and reggae dub mixed down with a severe case of attention deficit disorder.

And you know just for good measure.."ladies choice" still kills the dance every time I play it.

hi there - me also a big fan.

i met james at the kemet studio in 1993 - kemet had decided to make a kind of multi-media base in hackney in this warehouse. my friend and i went to interview them on the back of their screwface record which we liked. i was the photographer. there was lots of talk about the broadwater farm riots - which obv i cant reproduce here.

i have most of these:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Noise+Factory

there's a healthy dose of stuff on noise factory in energy flash simon reynolds' book.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
The anthem.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

shaolinsoul

hi there - me also a big fan.

i met james at the kemet studio in 1993 - kemet had decided to make a kind of multi-media base in hackney in this warehouse. my friend and i went to interview them on the back of their screwface record which we liked. i was the photographer. there was lots of talk about the broadwater farm riots - which obv i cant reproduce here.

i have most of these:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Noise+Factory

there's a healthy dose of stuff on noise factory in energy flash simon reynolds' book.

aaah yes Kemet crew.....it all makes perfect sense now, how could I forget. Thanks for the heads up on energy flash, been meaning to pick that up for time.

Those were the quality labels back then for me, straight buy on sight material.
I think Ibiza were running 6 or 7 different sub labels stuff like Jungle Splash and Limited E, DJ Hype was playing a lot of stuff from this label also.

any ideas if they are re-releasing some old stuff??
The units those guys used to shift back then on a weekly basis were phenomenal.

Last edited:

Woebot

don't know why this has a metalheadz logo on it

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Woebot

shaolinsoul

don't know why this has a metalheadz logo on it

aah that one was ruff, seckle!

Geez I was in primary school when I heard that one!!

I remember looking at my friend who gave me the Kenny Ken tape with this on it and told him, "listen I cant take this tape....its covered in KFC grease, It wouldnt even play properly!" Suffice to say the tape worked perfectly after a thorough clean down.

on that reminiscent note...might I add this one. This is the one I always loved and my favorite from Noise Factory, check the blatant disregard for Mary J Blige vocals in the ride dont know the intro sample.
yes I fail at embed.

Last edited:

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
"My Mind" is really good

At least for the first half of its run, then it loses the plot a bit. Those samples are crazy!

Somehow most Noise Factory tracks sound so amateurish (in an endearing way) even though the production is actually pretty good when you really pay attention to it. Must be all those unlikely samples.

shaolinsoul

"My Mind" is really good

At least for the first half of its run, then it loses the plot a bit. Those samples are crazy!

Somehow most Noise Factory tracks sound so amateurish (in an endearing way) even though the production is actually pretty good when you really pay attention to it. Must be all those unlikely samples.

Yep, most of his music was mostly entirely sampled based as was the case with most Hardcore around the 93 mark, I dont what gear these guys were using but I bet top dollar it was some old Emu Sampler with like 5 seconds of sampling time. As a matter of fact Noise Factory were in my opinion always had the cleanest mixdowns with the subbiest of subs. I think what your referring to is the lack of structural song composition, I didnt start hearing the "intro>buildup>drop>breakdown>outro" thing until Rufige Kru and even early Photek circa 1994 hit the scene. But even then I was yout so I thought all good music was like this.

Last edited: