Birmingham bassline/UKB

bobbin

What
does anybody know much about the birmingham bassline scene then?

i know i like dj pantha!

i would heartily recommend you download some mixes from his myspace blog. (though you'll have to copy and paste cos myspace is so waste.) i'm only up to 23 (!) but 24 and 25 are downloading...
http://www.myspace.com/dybigp

he's got an interesting palette of sounds i reckon. some of it sounds familiar in other respects, but some of it has broken up beats rather than that slightly militant stomp, which apparently some people are trying to call 'UKB'. apparantly emvee has some tracks like this as well, but he doesn't seem to be putting them about much yet.

sounds a bit like bassline mixed with breakbeat garage (as in zinc etc) i guess. don't really know any other producers unfortunately, maybe someone here does?

bobbin

What
oh, ok, the way i interpreted what i heard is that is was more garagey meaning 2 steppy because of the beats mainly, didn't realise it was supposed to be more song based.

to be honest it's a while since i heard any bassline that thrilled me apart from birmingham stuff for some reason.

continuum

smugpolice
I get the feeling the UKB thing is a re-branding thing to try and get attention back to the scene but I may be missing the point. The producers / scene don't think they got the attention they deserved when Heartbroken went to number 1 in the charts and it has remained firmly underground with a few compilation mixes doing well being the exception. Its got a big following but London fucking hates it! < this is what needs to change to move the scene forward but Londoners being Londoners you know this won't happen easily!

bobbin

What
i'm sure you're right to some extent!

i put on quite a lot of the djs in london a while ago but the inspiration to do it kind of dwindled, until recently. the response was always pretty good though.

bobbin

What
i had heard that but didn't know what it was so thanks! it is wicked, although not a million miles away from the 2-step of 10 years ago i guess... bass boy is pretty much always good.