greatest vinyl bargain

Blackdown

nexKeysound
about 5 years ago i found Goldie's Terminator EP on Synthetic Hardcore for 75p in an Essex charity shop. What's yours?

The winner is the one with the greatest value now/price paid ratio. £30/£0.75 puts the opening benchmark at 40 :)

Last edited:
D

droid

That was a good find!

Picked up an original pressing of the first ever reggae tune: Larry Marshalls' 'Nanny Goat' in JA for about 10p.

john eden

male pale and stale
I've sold most of my records which are worth serious money except the reggae ones...

I got Horsepower - Gorgon Sound for 50p around 2002.

The allegedly ltd to 93 copies Current 93 album "Christ and The Pale Queens" with a staff discount at the Rough Trade Warehouse when I briefly worked there.

So I think that would be about £10 / £300 according to discogs. Which is a ratio of 30.

But I ain't got them any more, sold 'em both for printing stuff about astronauts and bass culture, innit.

crackerjack

Maybe not the most amazing in terms of pounds spent to resale value, but for sheer quality Heart Of The Congos/Go Feet pressing in an HMV sale for £1.99 still makes me smile 25 years later.

and for money spent to money received, I still can't figure out why someone on eBay gave me £65 for a 90s reissue of an Impact 7" by Peter Broggs I've forgotten the name of.

Last edited:

muser

I got given a record by Rico Rodriguez that was released on two-tone which seems to be valued at around £100 because of its rarity, whether people will pay that much for it I don't know. I guess the early DMZ's aswell need to get round to selling them, aswell as the fat freddys drop remix which ive not seen for sale anyhwere but im geussing by the ridiculous prices of the other DMZ stuff could get a fair wack for. Not bargain buys tho.

Last edited:

crackerjack

I got given a record by Rico Rodriguez that was released on two-tone which seems to be valued at around £100 because of its rarity, whether people will pay that much for it I don't know. I.

Reggae-related vinyl is just about the only thing that still sells really well on eBay. I got (I think) £110 for an old w/label dub album of his in pretty average nick a few years back.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I paid 75p for Alco's Threads Of Life which some dude wants £1,236.99 for on a collector's site. I wrote a thing on my blog about it. If any of you lot want to buy it I'll knock a tenner off the above sum because we're all mates on Dissensus. :p

Seriously though, it is FOR SALE, if anyone's passing through...

outraygeous

UPDATE

I haven't made any great purchases really but my garage collection has appreciated

IE

Confetti doubles £12 - ebay price £60 - http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=181861&ev=mb
Enchanted Rhythms Double pack £12 - ebay price £60 - http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=146451&ev=rb

Benga Skank goes for a bit I think, got the Blue version - http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=15304&ev=mb

Mates got a dubplate of Creeper Devils mix, that could fetch a bit perhaps?

Silly money really

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

about 5 years ago i found Goldie's Terminator EP on Synthetic Hardcore for 75p in an Essex charity shop. What's yours?

I just paid £9 for a copy of that last week! Still not a bad price...

My best find was a mint white label copy of Groove Chronicles' Stone cold for £2.99 in a local Oxfam. Fuck knows what it was doing there, I don't think garage ever really took off in Newcastle. I sold it a week later on ebay to some radio station for £30 cos I was skint at the time and I assumed it would see a vinyl reissue at some point. Regret that now...

Oh, got a copy of Abstrac & Lady P's 'Love in dub' on Confetti records for 50p in a shop in Carlisle, I suppose that might be worth a few bob now. Hanging on to that one though!

hopper

Bought Coki - Officer for £7 at a Newcastle record store recently, not quite sure they knew what they were selling

I found two copies of Ice Rink at a local shop a few months ago for 9€ each

crazy considering i dont think they ever stocked any other grime records, it must have been for years on that crate

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Gospelfolk - Prodigal. £2.50 in a glasgow record shop, book price £200, popsike price £90-150.

Smaller ratio but still mental: Mandy Morton and Spriguns - Magic Lady (signed copy). £20 in Oxfam. Unsigned copies go for £2-400, fuck knows what the sigs would add.

Webstarr

original white label of "l luv U" (even says its wiley on it!), got in a bundle of tunes and worked out at about £2

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
I'll interprete greatest as a combination of most valuable according to the interwebs & on my wantlist for ages.
About a year ago in a New Zealand sales bin...
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (3xLP) - for 10$NZ.. which is about 4 quid.
Then this up in a sales bin in a Middlesborough shop a few years ago.
http://www.discogs.com/Wishmountain-Wishmountain/release/524704
Lucky dip as it has no paper labels & no info sheet. I think I paid 8 quid for it so the ratio is not that great.

In terms of a recent decent ratio:
http://www.discogs.com/Dysfunkshunal-Familee-New-Ruff-Flava/release/1315431
2NZ$, so about 1/50 if you take the cheapest discogs offer...

hmm... I love sales bins.
c.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
oh oh oh. also, bought second copies of DMZ 05 & 06 as I just couldn't leave them in the sales bin store for 5NZ$ each & my original copies are over in europe.
was grinning stupidly for quite a bit afterwards.
c.

notoriousJ.I.M

Universal Indicator Red picked up for 50p at a record fair goes for about £30 on discogs

The first Gescom E.P. on Skam bought about 5 years ago for a pound and goes for about £20 or more

Jiri.Ceiver - Osiac picked up for £2 goes for about £20 on average

Tectonic 001 DJ Pinch & P Dutty - War Dub / Alien Tongue I paid £1 for a copy at MVE and it goes for £20 plus

nochexxx

harco pronting
Pete UM trumps all! :cool:

i picked up Kenny Dixon's Emotional Content 12" for a quid and sold it the next week for £40.

and also bought the first pressing of Ron Hardy's 'Sensation' for a fiver, which in the past has sold for $$$. this year Rush Hour have since reissiued it, so i'm guessing this devalues the orginal somewhat.