Vinyl ID - early 1980s(?) UK Bass Culture Black MC Digi-dub/Hip Hop

Eppo

Hi, I've been a lurking reader for a while but never felt the need to post until now. I don't know anyone knowledgeable to ask about this ID and it's driving me crazy! I had this album on vinyl but didn't get round to listening to it properly and, to cut a long story short, i don't have it now. i can't remember many details but, anyway, here is what i can remember:

- 1980s (i think) - (EDITED- perhaps not *early* 80s sorry! - just read sleng teng was released 1985)
- 12" album
- Black UK MC
- Dub/Digi-Dub/Hip Hop (kinda like an early Roots Manuva or Tricky)
- not a straight dub or reggae artist
- B+W cover with the MC on it, possibly some bass bins in the background
- low quality production, not a major label

For some reason i keep thinking of the title 'London's Burning' but maybe the Clash are clouding my judgment on that!!

It's not the following artists: (it's loads more obscure)
Steel Pulse
Hi-Fi Rockers
Tippa Irie
London Possee
Papa Levi

This is driving me nuts! It's a very rare album. I've scoured several blogs, discogs and google image search using phrases like 'uk dub 12"'. I've searched about a 1000 web pages with no luck so i thought finally i'd ask here. sorry i don't have many more details but i think i have seen it discussed here so i thought i'd try my chances.

Thanks very much to anyone who has any suggestions!

Last edited:

Eppo

Also it's not Burning Spear if that seemed like an obvious suggestion! it's not Asher Senator either :confused:

Eppo

no, but that was a great suggestion :). i just looked up Daddy Freddy and i'll have to find some more of his stuff. the record i'm trying to find was a lot more urban and very British, not something that could be mistaken for coming from a Jamaican artist for example Tenor Saw or Top Cat. i remember listening to it and thinking it was some proto-UK Bass like a precursor to Massive Attack- dubby undertones but with a UK city vibe.

i put it in storage about 6 years ago and never gave it a proper listen coz at the time i was more focusing on vinyl for playing out rather than pure listening pleasure. i went and lived abroad and told my mum she could flog a box of vinyl that i left behind. well, she went into the storage and just picked a box at random! so i lost loads of good stuff like Miles Davis and Burning Spear for about a pound each. oh well!

i spent about 5 hours yesterday trawling blogs, google images and discographies of similar record labels. it's not anyone on the Saxon Sound live record ( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7mukBNmUs...AAARw/z78-Abxsc0s/s320/Greensleeves+Presents+ ) although i did buy that vinyl at the same time and i still have it. it wasn't really a reggae artist and i don't think the artist was featured on any other compilations such as the recent 'England's Story' or 'Great British MCs'. it may just be too obscure to find. i thought maybe someone on Dissensus may just click and have an answer. it's the kind of thing someone may just have in their collection, especially Woofah magazine reading types who have amassed a collection of UK Bass oddities on vinyl over the years.

anyway, more suggestions welcome. apologies for my vagueness!

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Newtrament?

First UK Hip Hop record, really. Not very dubby, to my ears but the cover matches and the title is close:

mms

sometimes
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sounds like this - arguably the first uk hip hop record

Eppo

NEWTRAMENT!! that's the one! thanks sooo much. really that was driving me nuts and the fact that i knew so little about it but once had the actual vinyl made me even crazier. my description was completely crap but i knew that this would be the only place where i would likely get even close to a clue. okay, i was pretty wrong about the dubby element but you nailed it. Demon Boyz was fairly close as well and i just came across them earlier while i was searching. thanks for all your suggestions guys.

it's weird, when i first got the record and heard it i knew there was something important about it. it just seemed ahead of its time even though i didn't know anything about it. anybody know much about it or the artist? EDIT: i just found the wikipedia entry.

cheers guys! while we're at it, any other seminal works i should know?

Last edited:

Eppo

i just read the Wikipedia entry and the whole scene around the record sounds really interesting. him and his crew, 'KREW' ('Kings Rule Every Where'), were involved in the electronic and b-boy scenes and did squat parties. they also had links with Wild Bunch and loads of others including Afrika Bambaataa. it sounds like this was at the crossroads between the UK importing Hip Hop and making it our own as part of the 'Nuum.

it's also one of the most exclamationed Wikipedia entries i've ever read!! it's worth reading!! just for that(!!!) it was obviously written by a fan or someone who was very excited by the scene at that time. it's worth a read!!!!!!!!!!!!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Glad to be of help. Funny, I can remember that record from when it came out (showing my age). I didn't ever see the vinyl but someone I knew had a tape with all the various mixes on which was where I first heard it. Strange, him going out on his own and doing something like that. Someone's got to be a pioneer though. Reminds me of the first guys doing graf on London tubes (Robbo!) Some parts of that wiki entry read like hyperbole though.

Forgotten MCs from the early years of UK Hip Hop might make an interesting thread. Off the top of my head:

Cookie Crew (Used to have a live session of their's at the Wag, taped off Westwood, which was great)
Junior G (I met him in Camden, a few years later, and he was in a weird industrial band called Hoodlum Priest)
MC Buzz B (Manc flavour - great rapper if I remember)
MC Mello
Gunshot (not that forgotten I suppose but I think I could still listen to them)

Any more?

I'm amazed at how this stuff is still buried in the brain cells.

luka

its aged much better than probably even the artists thought it would... you got all the dance/hiphop crossover stuff too SUAD, silver bullet etc....

mms

sometimes
ahh yeah snap dannyl
soz i did'nt see that i just rushed in
yeah early hip hop in the uk was great when it was just frantic and aggressive , even blades first few singles were good. It all kinda went into hardcore rather than going into what uk hip hop is overall now though.
i knew the guys from this mess
they lived in bognor
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: