PDA

View Full Version : The Dawn Chorus

Woebot
02-06-2010, 03:16 AM
this crazy thing!

(fu*** me up though - wee blighter of a blackbird stands on top of our house - outside our window and sings his wee heart out - wakes me up all the time)

Bang Diddley
02-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I've got the same thing. Big tree in the backyard and a blackbird sits on the highest point of the tree and sings his song. Like you say sometimes its great and sometimes its well annoying at 4.30 in the morning. I much prefer the evening songs, sitting in the garden with a cold beer. There loads of birds, I should really try to identify them.

There's also a couple of wood pigeons who are always chilling together. Bless.

luka
02-06-2010, 07:43 AM
you should learn to identify them, in a london garden you can easily learn the names of all the birds that visit. only took me a few weeks to learn all the common visitors to sydney gardens. should always make an effort to engage with that stuff i reckon....

Lichen
02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdsong.shtml

Bang Diddley
02-06-2010, 07:54 AM
you should learn to identify them, in a london garden you can easily learn the names of all the birds that visit. only took me a few weeks to learn all the common visitors to sydney gardens. should always make an effort to engage with that stuff i reckon....

You're right, its really relaxing to spend half an hour just listening in and I guess knowing which song is whose will add to the experience. Ta for link Lichen.

jenks
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
We just bought a tent and part of the dry run was putting it up in the back garden so the kids could get used to it - i have slept out there for the past four nights with them and this morning's dawn chorus was monumental - about 4.05 it kicked off and was really impressive and I only live in Essex, not some rural idyll - reckon there were mainly blackbirds, a few thrushes and something I just could not identify. Certainly beat the two crows who decided to have a soundclash at 5 yesterday morning!

droid
02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Antone ever looked at WAVs of Birdsong recordings? Unnaturally perfect and identical almost everytime.

polystyle desu
02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Similar situation here , some birds that strike up in the evening,
some others that sing in the morning.
Robins, Blue jays, morning doves and more.
Always like to hear it , even if as simple ambient energy.

Much better then the 'recycle day' cans in big bags being thrown to curb at 6 AM, or the deep sigh of air brakes on the unidentified truck idling on the loop road at 7 AM.

The crow mob chasing the hawks around get me to the windows almost every time...

Dunninger
02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I've spent some time recording birds over the last few months. Nothing fancy or serious, basically just getting up really early and going for a walk with a recorder, it's fun. By doing this I noticed how very noisy our surroundings are. I live in a small town and when I go out in the fields or woods on a sunday morning at 4:30 I certainly don't see any other human beings around, but listening to to the world through a mic and headphones reveals that there's a nearly permanent faraway grey drone of cars, train or planes somewhere.

Woebot
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I've spent some time recording birds over the last few months.

respekt

polystyle desu
02-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah, sounds like a good time Dunninger