PDA

View Full Version : Demdike Stare

matt b
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
So, I d/l their Fact mix and would now like to hear more.

What would people recommend as a first purchase?

unknown soulja
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I would really recommend Symbiosis which was a collection of their first EPs, amazingly diverse but coherent. You can get it off Boomkat in digital or CD. I particularly like Haxan Dub and Janissary.

vimothy
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I like it all!

Not much help though, sorry.

matt b
08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Cheers you two.

Seems that their vinyl output is sold out everywhere, so will have to dig around a bit before giving in to CD option. Serves me right for not reading the Boomkat newsletter anymore.

boo
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
forest of evil is tasty too but the new stuff is even better.

here's a mix Sean Canty (half of demdike) did for our podcast series last year. it's wicked.

Haxan mix for Faktion http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4puij

matt b
15-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Haxan mix for Faktion http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4puij

That's really good- listened to it 3 times today, so thanks.

Managed to pick up the 2nd ep in Jumbo last week, which could do without the generic dub-techno first track (and I like a bit of dub techno and am aware of MLZ et al, but a bit obvious no?).

boo
16-06-2010, 12:00 AM
kl, glad u like it.

like i said, the new stuff is way better. they're on some astral trajectory now.

slim jenkins
17-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I like 'em a lot.

http://includemeout2.blogspot.com/2010/05/demdike-stare.html

If their new stuff is even better, I can't wait to hear that particular trajectory.

Bang Diddley
22-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Finally got the Tryptych CD set a few days ago. I didn't expect it to be like this, but it is brilliant. Really looking forward to listening to it all back to back on some headphones soon.

nomos
22-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm a fan. I'd probably start with Liberation Through Hearing - weird vibes through and through with a nice amount of weight. The 'Dawn' side of Forest of Evil is a favourite too. Symbiosis is largely great but I find it just a bit spottier. Haxan, the dub techno tune, seems unnecessary for example (though I quite like Haxan Dub). Jannisary feels a tad late-90s Ninja Tune. The other tracks more than make up for that though. imo.

There's also a related act called Daughters of the Industrial Revolution. Not essential but the packaging is very nice, from pictures I've seen

Bang Diddley
22-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Exactly Nomos, it's ambient/drone with some heavy basslines and percussion. I think I might of lost interest if it was too ambient, had too many eastern vocal samples or too much dub techno. As much as I like Shakleton and Basic Channel). There's a lot of mood and tempo changes to keep it interesting. Some further recommendations would be welcome as this sort of thing is a bit new to me.

Bang Diddley
22-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I like 'em a lot.

http://includemeout2.blogspot.com/2010/05/demdike-stare.html

If their new stuff is even better, I can't wait to hear that particular trajectory.

From Slims blog.

'The album refers to genres without aping them' I think that's what they do so well. I can hear all sorts of influences of my listening without them in the forefront of the soundscape and at the same time bringing in their own vibe.

skull kid
23-02-2011, 12:43 AM
there's more and more of this kinda stuff about now -- industrial/goth/darkwave influences over a contemporary bass template. demdike, raime, chasing voices, ekoplekz, recent mordant music, antonym, mick harris and other recent non-techno releases on downwards

techno is also baring these influences lately -- sandwell district/downwards crew (who were always into this stuff), the mighty (and sorely under-appreciated) perc trax, the newly invigorated blueprint records, oliver ho's latest stuff as raudive and his new wires imprint (note that all of these guys are coming out of the uk)

as much as i love the demdike and raime stuff, i do find their approach a tad pretentious. like they're trying a little too hard to appear dark and mysterious and portentous and it comes across a bit humourless and impersonal? mordant and associated acts is the best of the bunch cos (much like coil and nurse with wound before them) they balance the darkness with that british, slightly surreal sense of humour and irreverence

unknown soulja
23-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Did anyone on hear go to the live show in brighton (think Raime were / was supporting as well).

Would be interested to know what sort of a vibe it was. Were people dancing or shoe gazing?

paolo
23-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I slept on Demdike Stare but I splashed out on 'Tryptych' the other week and I'm really liking it. Wish I had it on vinyl cos that's the sort of geek I am

Feeling Raime's music as well, would love to see this sort of thing live

slim jenkins
23-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Did anyone on hear go to the live show in brighton (think Raime were / was supporting as well).

Would be interested to know what sort of a vibe it was. Were people dancing or shoe gazing?

From what I've seen of them live I can't imagine much dancing going on...unless they sold out and added big beats to all their 'ambient' material...:eek:

matt b
23-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Tryptych is very good, much better than the pre-2010 stuff, but there's still something missing from their output that I can't quite put my finger on. This is highlighted for me by their podcasts/mixes of self-produced stuff mixed in with influences etc being more interesting than their own output alone.

nomos
23-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I've had a similar reaction. To my ears, they fill a space bordered (largely) by Mordant, Ghost Box and Shackleton - which suits me, though it does feel a bit inevitable, like music-conceptual infill without quite the magical charge of the others.

Leo
25-02-2011, 05:37 PM
http://blissout.blogspot.com/2011/02/no-but-seriously-way-demdike-tick-all.html

our friend simon r. has a take on them...

unknown soulja
25-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Funny to hear so many people comparing them to Shackleton; i totally understand why and on paper they are a very close match but i think their outputs feel really different.

nomos
25-02-2011, 06:54 PM
haha, great minds...

they fill a space bordered (largely) by Mordant, Ghost Box and Shackleton - which suits me, though it does feel a bit inevitable, like music-conceptual infill without quite the magical charge of the others.

the way Demdike tick all the boxes ... is so thorough, it verges on conscientious... I mean, if they didn't intentionally set out to occupy the thin strip of land between Belbury Poly and Shackleton then ... it's kinda freaky how they've ended up exactly in that small spot.

on the shackleton thing - it's in the mood they're working at more than the sound ... ecstasies on the verge of the thing that shall not be called 'dark'. e.g. the vibe shared by shack's 'new dawn' and demdike's 'forest of evil (dawn).'

pattycakes
26-02-2011, 04:09 AM
http://blissout.blogspot.com/2011/02/no-but-seriously-way-demdike-tick-all.html

our friend simon r. has a take on them...

oh snap...

IdleRich
03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
The imagery reminds me of the Jigoku things although they donīt make their own music (as far as I know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAWd3iGI15k

I guess Finders Keepers is the common link.