Demdike Stare

matt b

Indexing all opinion
So, I d/l their Fact mix and would now like to hear more.

What would people recommend as a first purchase?

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
I would really recommend Symbiosis which was a collection of their first EPs, amazingly diverse but coherent. You can get it off Boomkat in digital or CD. I particularly like Haxan Dub and Janissary.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Cheers you two.

Seems that their vinyl output is sold out everywhere, so will have to dig around a bit before giving in to CD option. Serves me right for not reading the Boomkat newsletter anymore.

boo

kl, glad u like it.

like i said, the new stuff is way better. they're on some astral trajectory now.

Client Eastwood

Finally got the Tryptych CD set a few days ago. I didn't expect it to be like this, but it is brilliant. Really looking forward to listening to it all back to back on some headphones soon.

nomos

Administrator
I'm a fan. I'd probably start with Liberation Through Hearing - weird vibes through and through with a nice amount of weight. The 'Dawn' side of Forest of Evil is a favourite too. Symbiosis is largely great but I find it just a bit spottier. Haxan, the dub techno tune, seems unnecessary for example (though I quite like Haxan Dub). Jannisary feels a tad late-90s Ninja Tune. The other tracks more than make up for that though. imo.

There's also a related act called Daughters of the Industrial Revolution. Not essential but the packaging is very nice, from pictures I've seen

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Exactly Nomos, it's ambient/drone with some heavy basslines and percussion. I think I might of lost interest if it was too ambient, had too many eastern vocal samples or too much dub techno. As much as I like Shakleton and Basic Channel). There's a lot of mood and tempo changes to keep it interesting. Some further recommendations would be welcome as this sort of thing is a bit new to me.

Client Eastwood

skull kid

there's more and more of this kinda stuff about now -- industrial/goth/darkwave influences over a contemporary bass template. demdike, raime, chasing voices, ekoplekz, recent mordant music, antonym, mick harris and other recent non-techno releases on downwards

techno is also baring these influences lately -- sandwell district/downwards crew (who were always into this stuff), the mighty (and sorely under-appreciated) perc trax, the newly invigorated blueprint records, oliver ho's latest stuff as raudive and his new wires imprint (note that all of these guys are coming out of the uk)

as much as i love the demdike and raime stuff, i do find their approach a tad pretentious. like they're trying a little too hard to appear dark and mysterious and portentous and it comes across a bit humourless and impersonal? mordant and associated acts is the best of the bunch cos (much like coil and nurse with wound before them) they balance the darkness with that british, slightly surreal sense of humour and irreverence

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Did anyone on hear go to the live show in brighton (think Raime were / was supporting as well).

Would be interested to know what sort of a vibe it was. Were people dancing or shoe gazing?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I slept on Demdike Stare but I splashed out on 'Tryptych' the other week and I'm really liking it. Wish I had it on vinyl cos that's the sort of geek I am

Feeling Raime's music as well, would love to see this sort of thing live

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Did anyone on hear go to the live show in brighton (think Raime were / was supporting as well).

Would be interested to know what sort of a vibe it was. Were people dancing or shoe gazing?

From what I've seen of them live I can't imagine much dancing going on...unless they sold out and added big beats to all their 'ambient' material...:eek:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Tryptych is very good, much better than the pre-2010 stuff, but there's still something missing from their output that I can't quite put my finger on. This is highlighted for me by their podcasts/mixes of self-produced stuff mixed in with influences etc being more interesting than their own output alone.

nomos

Administrator
I've had a similar reaction. To my ears, they fill a space bordered (largely) by Mordant, Ghost Box and Shackleton - which suits me, though it does feel a bit inevitable, like music-conceptual infill without quite the magical charge of the others.

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Funny to hear so many people comparing them to Shackleton; i totally understand why and on paper they are a very close match but i think their outputs feel really different.