Comedy

rivetrenuck

Hey all, Noticed there isnt much discussions about comedy or recommendations, so I thought ill start one right now.

Some of these of course have been mentioned in other threads.

TV -

Arrested Development - as mentioned in one previous thread intensely good character and almost every sentence in the show just cracks me up

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - a massive season of these. commentary on really bad old science fiction, some may not like this, but i loved almost every single episode!

Duckman - Really funny animated series of a Duck who is a failed Private dick with an odd family (two headed son) :p

and some of the really obvious British stuff, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python and recently discovered
Stewart Lee, really like his Fist of Fun series http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/oldshows.htm

Movies -
Not many movies that i know off, of course there are loads, but not many that i find funny. Recently viewed The Mask that was good,

Stand up -
George Carlin especially his older stuff, Chris Rock, Bill Hicks.

well that should be enough to get this on the move. please add on

Thanks

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Really Stewart Lee should also be recomended as a stand-up comedian. Primarily as one, I'd say. In my opinion, he is one of the most creative, intuitive, and hardest working comedians in the World right now. He's been at it for an eternity and never lost his faith or spark for the craft. That's a lot to be said in itself, as far as stand-up comedy is concerned.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Daniel Kitson is the fucking great. He's perceptive and thoughtful, but basically fucking hilarious.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
i spent a fantastic night at a festival doing music obsessive with Stewart Lee. We agree the bit in Tortoise's Gamera when the analogue synth came in was the greatest moment in music ever.

That aside, he's also the finest standup in the UK.

For the US - Doug Stanhope. He will subtly lead you where he wants without the tiresome polemic and crass simplifications of Bill fucking Hicks.

luka

theres already a comedy thread and no one anyone has mentioned on this one is remotely funny.

swears

preppy-kei
When I was about 11, me and my mate sent a collage we'd done into the Fist of Fun Gall-ery. We made it out of some first aid advice cards and old pop magazines, it showed Chesney Hawkes lying on the floor bleeding after an accident, whilst another man also with his face attended to his wounds. Stuart Lee sent us a postcard back saying it made him lol and he's stuck it to the office pinboard, but unfortunately Fist of Fun wasn't coming back for another series. Still over the moon, tho.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
For the US - Doug Stanhope. He will subtly lead you where he wants without the tiresome polemic and crass simplifications of Bill fucking Hicks.

I don't like Doug Stanhope pretty much for the reason that his entire routine is tiresome polemic and crass simplifications. I find him stupid and unoriginal in an increasingly stupid and unoriginal genre of stand-up.

For the US, I'd recommend Louis CK and Chris Rock basically.

rivetrenuck

My apologies if there is another comedy thread, i did do a search and nothing much came up. i have seen the youtube thread, but i was looking for more films and stand up and possibly tv shows.

I have to find videos of stewart lees stand up. missed his last performance.

Also forget to mention : Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and how could i forget to mention all the cartoons on Adult Swim

Robot Chicken, Harvey Birdman (this is my favourite!), Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies, have not checked out the other shows yet.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I feel like I should perhaps point out that Doug Stanhope isn't as bad as I say he is. His style is a little played out - the rest was, I realize, a bit of an unfair exaggeration.

rivetrenuck

When I was about 11, me and my mate sent a collage we'd done into the Fist of Fun Gall-ery. We made it out of some first aid advice cards and old pop magazines, it showed Chesney Hawkes lying on the floor bleeding after an accident, whilst another man also with his face attended to his wounds. Stuart Lee sent us a postcard back saying it made him lol and he's stuck it to the office pinboard, but unfortunately Fist of Fun wasn't coming back for another series. Still over the moon, tho.

Thats cool, I am gonna rewatch this series, i need more lifestyle tips!

continuum

smugpolice
First I've seen of this guy Jim Jefferies but wow. Best I've heard for a while. Gonna watch the rest of this particular performance later.

craner

Beast of Burden
Strangely enough, when I started that other comedy thread I was on the verge of slitting my wrists. I think Cheers saved my life. At the very worst moment of my life, I turned to Sam Malone.

I have a physical aversion to stand-up comedy, particularly in its current, standard, British incarnation. I hate the tone, the style, the format. I love sitcoms, though.