shangaan stuff

bobbin

What
honest jon's have surprised and delighted me with this: http://www.honestjons.com/shop.php?pid=36711

i thought it was going to remain just an amazing thing on youtube which i'd never be able to listen to in a better format. nor probably know much about. this is the only journalism on it i've found: http://www.thefader.com/2010/02/24/...yles-shangaan-electro-south-africa-road-epic/

do these tunes really really push anyone else's buttons? i've honestly decided it's some of the best music ever. i'm surprised there isn't already a post.

i'm not the kind of person who patronisingly thinks music is more wonderful because it doesn't come from a developed western nation, either.

ps is honest jon's giving anyone else fearsome cognitive dissonance with its recent activities? sorry but there's just something so repulsive and earthy/worthy/boring about the name and everything.

edit: this isn't intended to be a dig at listening to music from around the world or anything like that. it's just that if i hadn't heard any of the tracks i probably wouldn't be filled with desire after reading the blurb. and wrong as it may be i'd be more inclined to take the recommendation from someone who wasn't into it. i'm sure the idea and packaging of so-called world music is an old debate. and i'm sure honest jon's would deny that it's their deal, but to be honest i think the release is packaged like that a bit. almost like you're expected to find it cute, pretty horrible.

Last edited:

bobbin

What
Shades of RDJ in this tune.

or eg the transmat relics compilation on 45! i think the weirdly melancholy marimbas are a lot to do with it.

it feels like jungle too, there's the tempo obviously but it's more the same way the tunes are so absorbing as texture. you catch yourself daydreaming. i suppose it's analogous to how visually focussing on the small details of something is can be really transporting, make you feel miles away. (i'll admit i'm particularly thinking about hallucinogenic drugs here, ha!)

nochexxx

harco pronting
can't stop listening to the Honest Jons comp. to my mind the marimbas functionality is similar to the percussive TR series congas in Juke. not so much Footwurk'in but more like Bumwurk eh? haha

muser

I havn't really heard any that I like very much. I think its the keyboards, can't help it but drums and pitch-bent brass and harmonica presets on keyboards turn me off. I really like some of the singing though, and rythmically its great, the dances (especially the ones in clown costumes for the kids) are pretty surreal looking from a western perspective.

Feels like I should like it for some reason..

bobbin

What
the prosthetic bellies and arses are quite odd. it's not like the men are in drag but there are obvious feminine connotations. possibly just a laugh to amuse the kids i guess.

zhao

there are no accidents
some of the best music ever.

i don't think this kind of complete fusion of rhythm and melody into one, as if they were never torn apart in the first place, has not yet happened in modern dance music. excuse the cliches but i think this is the future.

marimbas yes... also has a lot to do with various mbira traditions. infectious and irresistible.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
the prosthetic bellies and arses are quite odd. it's not like the men are in drag but there are obvious feminine connotations. possibly just a laugh to amuse the kids i guess.

pretty sure that's just something one band does, the tshetsha boys, and not a practice wide spread in the scene (though the idea of afro-krump does appeal).

Last edited:

bobbin

What
i don't think this kind of complete fusion of rhythm and melody into one, as if they were never torn apart in the first place, has not yet happened in modern dance music. excuse the cliches but i think this is the future.

well you know, i feel like letting you have that one ;) not sure if it's the future but on the other hand i guess i wouldn't place it behind anything else in that race if it exists. and i dunno if fusing rhythm and melody hasn't already happened at least a bit but i agree that is a cool thing about it.

pretty sure that's just something one band does, the tshetsha boys, and not a practice wide spread in the scene (though the idea of afro-krump does appeal).

yeah they're the only people i've noticed doing it. (although i'm no expert)

at the risk of sounding pompously ethnographic i wonder if they took inspiration from some much more trad imagery relating to fertility.

it just made me think of iconography which celebrates that, probably from various places, in my vague ignorant way. bulging bellies.

zhao

there are no accidents
you rock william! i will likely be in SA soon and im going to do a bit of digging myself... dont be surprised if you get an email from me sometime in the near future! cheers!

Woebot

hey guys,

i licensed all tracks to honest jon's for the comp in partnership with nozinja in soweto. psyched y'all are feeling the music. lots more to come, including nozinja remixing other artists and field recordings and some shangaan electro gospel. a bit more info on the search for this music here: http://www.thefader.com/2010/02/24/...yles-shangaan-electro-south-africa-road-epic/

Wills - william.glasspiegel@gmail.com

keep up the brilliant work william.

zhao

there are no accidents
i've been playing this stuff out on both bigger festival stages and medium sized clubs, and the reception has been really great. people who know smile real big, people who don't are a bit flabbergasted for 2 minutes and then proceed to dance their heads off. :D

hopper

anyone go see this at Barbican on saturday? had to work through the day and the night so begrudgingly missed it. The new releases on honest jons are great