craner
22-06-2010, 12:50 PM
How can I do this?

polystyle desu
22-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Good question Craner;
depending on one's basic health - one can get out and move that body,
take regular walks and se what happens.
Take up an easy form of Tai Chi- the people you see moving slowly early morning in the park,
gets the blood and the "chi' moving.
'Finding' Tai Chi some years ago was a revelation;
after doing the simple moves a few times and 'getting into it' a bit,
one can definitely feel the energy move in your body, some 'life' in there
something you may be missing I am guessing ?

See if you get anything from trying this kind of thing,
then meditating - tho' not strictly about 'energy level'-
is another part of the body -mind' package and something to go onto along with weekly simple Tai Chi type movements and exercise .
Once you feel or see some benefit, you can get hooked on doing it !

Go easy Mr. C

padraig (u.s.)
22-06-2010, 01:15 PM
diet, physical exercise, enough sleep & at regular times, stop smoking (if you do), stop drinking/taking drugs (if you do any of those) or at least cut down, same goes for coffee. of those in terms of increasing physical energy I would say the most important is diet - which I guess you could extend out to include alcohol etc - which is crucial. I'll refrain from making specific dietary suggestions unless you're interested.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but having more energy is one of those things where there's kinda no shortcuts.

Mr. Tea
22-06-2010, 01:50 PM
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it's surprisingly easy not to get enough sleep. And some people seem to need more than others to function well during the day.

As far as food goes, bananas are generally reckoned to be a very good energy source. Make sure you're getting enough vitamins, especially B vitamins, because you need these to metabolise whatever calories you're eating.

DannyL
22-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Sound advice from all above. I second the Tai Chi recommendation - I do some other internal arts but same difference really. Getting up and moving about on the regular, every 30 minutes or so, if you're in a sedentary office job, works wonders I think.

You're a kind of feedbaack system and doing stuff creates the energy/buzz to do more - that's providing you're not burning out and running on empty. I'd say being excited about new projects and new experiences is also part of this, so if you have the time and inclination, join a class or take a trip somewhere. Anything to kickstart the stimulation.

polystyle desu
22-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Body & brain , Padraig gets it right -
first get the body together through better diet, good sleep, less poison(s) and stress relief -
then the brain will follow.

Moderation, some balance and as Darryl points out- begin a system of feedback that can give some
light at end of tunnel / goal(s) / results once you see or feel a result that you like !

Probably better to be hooked on something positive then not so positive habits ...

craner
22-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you, all.

I did try Tai Chi once, but I couldn't get to grips with it. I was in a class with some British Tai Chi champion (this is, like, 15 years ago) and I was so bad, he'd spend the a lot of the session staring at me in disgust. One evening I went to a local fair instead of class and that was it really; never went back.

I do exercise: I swim, surf occasionally, walk and cycle most places. I went to a doctor recently and -- despite 7 years of constant abuse -- I am physically intact (apart from having a slightly high red blood cell count, 'though I don't know what this means; it certainly doesn't mean I should be tired all of the time).

I go to bed between 12-1am and get up about 8.30-9am -- that probably isn't ideal.

I've stopped smoking (almost, mostly) and drinking (regularly, or every night) and I don't take any drugs; I don't drink much coffee but I drink a lot more water than before and in a consistent fashion. This ought to help, right? What should I eat and when?

I start the day bright and perky but I'm failing by lunchtime, and then I'm tired after lunch too and it makes it hard to think, to concentrate: perpetual low-level fatigue, with no hangover or thyroid to blame it on.

craner
22-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd say being excited about new projects and new experiences is also part of this, so if you have the time and inclination, join a class or take a trip somewhere. Anything to kickstart the stimulation.

Actually, this is probably the essential problem.

Mr. Tea
22-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I could be talking out of my arse here but if you've quite recently cut down on booze and fags in a big way, it might just be that your metabolism is taking a while to adjust. A mild but lengthy withdrawal process, in other words. Where's nomad when you need her?

craner
22-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Really? Shouldn't it give you more energy?

Mr. Tea
22-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm sure it will eventually, but you might feel shitty while your body gets used to it. Nicotine and alcohol are both physically addictive, after all.

polystyle desu
22-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm sure it will eventually, but you might feel shitty while your body gets used to it. Nicotine and alcohol are both physically addictive, after all.

Think you are onto something there Mr. Tea ...
it can take a while to see the results of cutting back or cutting off.

mixed_biscuits
22-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Go to bed earlier (before 12), after an hour's rest from stimulation (tv, pc etc).

Eat porridge in the morn'.

grizzleb
22-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Wank twice a day for at least 40 minutes at a time.

craner
22-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Tantric wanking?

grizzleb
22-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Works wonders I tell you. You and your hand almost become the same person.

Mr. Tea
22-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Best leave out the strangulation until you've at least earned your Grade 6, though.

padraig (u.s.)
23-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I've stopped smoking (almost, mostly) and drinking (regularly, or every night) and I don't take any drugs; I don't drink much coffee but I drink a lot more water than before and in a consistent fashion. This ought to help, right? What should I eat and when?

all that stuff is indeed good & ought to help.

as far as diet, there's a few things. lots of fruits & vegetables, leafy greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc - tons & tons of iron, which is good for combating fatigues) especially. in general I try to get most of my carbs from fruits & vegetables rather than from bread, rice (esp. white), potatoes, pasta, etc tho I do eat quite a bit of oatmeal. low-fat protein sources like chicken (not fried, mind), turkey, fish, egg whites, but no red meat. nuts & seeds, also nut butters (if peanut butter, the real stuff rather than Jif or whatever). no or v. little refined sugar - no sweets, no soda, and so on. refined sugar is like f**king poison. be on the lookout on labels for words like sucrose, maltose, corn syrup, which all just mean sugar. this is also the reason for avoiding refined carbs from bread, pasta, etc (esp that made from white flour) which quickly break down into simple sugars in your body. also be on the lookout for sugar in foods where you wouldn't expect it.

as to when, multiple small meals are always preferrable to one big meal - keeps the body's blood sugar steady - this is why, for example, if you eat a bunch of refined sugar you'll get a burst of energy & then crash. I try to make sure every small meal is relatively balanced.

of course, every person is slightly different. for example, I run, do fairly serious weight training multiple times a week & train muay thai almost every day, so I eat quite a lot, including quite a bit of protein. other people's needs will be different, based on age, weight, metabolism, level of activity & so on. it depends on what your goals are as well. I mean, I'm really strict about it - I drink a beer once in a while & I occasionally drink coffee, but that's about it, & I never eat sweets. not everyone will want to take it that seriously, & that's absolutely fine. still, I think all of the above is general advice that anyone can utilize - you just have to gear it to your own needs.

sorry, I don't mean to go on & on but as you may be able to tell this is a subject about which I'm fairly passionate & I tend to nerd out about it the way some dudes nerd out about obscure dancehall 12"s or particle physics or whatever. hope some of it helps.

padraig (u.s.)
23-06-2010, 04:14 AM
also, to go on a bit more, v. quick on the topic of exercise, I recommend to you - actually to everyone - weight training. specifically Olympic lifting (deadlift, clean, clean + jerk, snatch, etc). for so, so, so many reasons. can be used as cross-training waerobic stuff like/running, cycling, etc; actually Olympic lifting can be aerobic in & of itself, a la Crossfit, but that's a bit of a different ballgame. anyway.

one disclaimer: v. important to make sure you learn technique & do it properly - don't want to feel like I set anyone up to get injured

luka
23-06-2010, 06:32 AM
you already know the answer. no booze, no fags, no caffine, no late nights, do the things you love and cut out the self-flagellation. dont do tai chi you'll look ridiculous. its for old people as any chinese person will tell you. also be vegetarian.

Lichen
23-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Tantric wanking?

Tried it.
Bored stiff.

luka
23-06-2010, 07:29 AM
why do you want to do that anyway? i often have too much energy and its annoying. people always want whatever it is they dont have. what you going to do with all this energy when you get it?

alex
23-06-2010, 08:56 AM
The majority of what I would add has been covered, but I thought I would weigh in with what has helped me recently! I find that plenty of fruit throughout the day, coupled with plenty of water should make you feel better. Also walking/cycling rather than public transport/car, basically some good exercise will help massively. I have been taking cod liver oil for the past 4/5 months, which has increased my energy, and general feeling of well being tenfold! Rather than the capsules though I prefer to mix a teaspoonís worth (or thereabouts) with double the amount of milk, shake thoroughly until mixed then down the hole (your stomach will absorb it better than the capsules this way, before eating is the best time). Hope that helps!

Woebot
23-06-2010, 09:12 AM
it might just be that your metabolism is taking a while to adjust. A mild but lengthy withdrawal process, in other words.

'fraid this sounds correct. it might take a while oliver. take exercise (get a bike) and if i were you i'd ditch the coffee.

just reading the lennon biography and apparently a macrobiotic diet (never tried it myself) gives you a rush of energy in the early stage? maybe try it for a week - like a detox kind of thing.

next patient please.

DannyL
23-06-2010, 09:17 AM
also, to go on a bit more, v. quick on the topic of exercise, I recommend to you - actually to everyone - weight training. specifically Olympic lifting (deadlift, clean, clean + jerk, snatch, etc). for so, so, so many reasons. can be used as cross-training waerobic stuff like/running, cycling, etc; actually Olympic lifting can be aerobic in & of itself, a la Crossfit, but that's a bit of a different ballgame. anyway.

one disclaimer: v. important to make sure you learn technique & do it properly - don't want to feel like I set anyone up to get injured

I really really want to start weight training again. I absolutely loved it. It's the combination of physical exercise and being able to nerd out as Padraig said.

DannyL
23-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Some links to my fave health and nutrition blogs, in part an aide memoire to myself:

http://www.beastskills.com/

http://www.stumptuous.com/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://www.crossfit.com/ (not really a fave, I think the Coach is a bit of a mentalist, but an essential read if you end up engaging with this stuff).

luka
23-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I am a show-off I learned. I wasnít always a show-off when I was younger, I was very shy actually, which is the opposite of the way I am now. And I learned I liked the attention I get from this. Iím motivated by, now it might be Ö I thought about this a lot Ö I was shy and sickly a lot as a kid, I wasnít popular with women, or even felt very uncomfortable with them. And I think somehow, because it coincided with me getting strong and getting respect from the men, it became very much a part of my self-image. I could do this. So itís so deep, that I just do it because itís part of my self-image.

Now, of course my best friends have told me, ďYou donít need this! What are you proving?Ē, but itís deep

those websites are nuts danny!

baboon2004
23-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I'd say exercise (combined with sleep - not simultaneous though) definitely number one - human beings aren't meant to be sedentary, and yet so many of us spend vast amounts of time that way due to our job and, er, the pub. Personally, even a slight bit of aerobic makes me feel I've got more energy, though I prefer weights cos they're less boring.

I'd also add that psychological factors can be very important, beyond all the physical stuff. Any way you can cut down worrying/let your worries out will give you loads more energy.

Nice cod liver oil mention upthread - proper old school.

Aww Nein
23-06-2010, 10:45 AM
what was it in Requiem for a Dream...

no red meat
no refined sugar
no orgasms

could give that a try.

some of this seemed to help though

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aYmcYm2pqw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aYmcYm2pqw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luka
23-06-2010, 10:47 AM
ive done manual labour all y life. i reccomend that. never work in an office whatever you do. i read in the paper it makes men have bodies like women. pear shaped. big hips and thighs and narrow shoulders. who wants to look like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBVk071N88M&feature=player_embedded#!
this bloke will sort oyu out.

Mr. Tea
23-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Ugh, don't listen to me Craner, I was exhaaauusted this morning for no good reason. Although it could be the heat, I don't sleep well when it's hot and muggy. Blech.

baboon2004
23-06-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEboAJf9UVc&feature=related

goodness, that guy is...in so many ways spot on. Scary.

luka
23-06-2010, 10:52 AM
you liking the jack lalanne babboon!? hahah its good innit

baboon2004
23-06-2010, 10:55 AM
i'm appreciating his straight talking. too little of it around....i think after an hour i might want to kill him, but it's fine now

Mr. Tea
23-06-2010, 11:05 AM
no booze, no fags, no caffine, no late nights, do the things you love...

What if you love booze, fags and caffeine?

I can't help but be suspicious of a barista telling people not to drink coffee, that's like a vegetarian butcher or something, well dodge. "Never get high on your own supply", huh?

luka
23-06-2010, 11:12 AM
becasue caffine makes me shake very badly i find it very hard to carry coffees to people without spilling them. i only stopped 12 days ago. also ive never been one to think before speaking but caffine makes it even worse and terrible things come out of my mouth, usually quite funny but offensive at the same time and thats bad in hospitality work. stopping caffine has stopped the shakes pretty much but im still putting my foot in t on a daily basis....

luka
23-06-2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsTKfUT-RQ&feature=related

heres some exercises i like to do before i eat breakfast

droid
23-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Just do the a bit of regular exercise. I cycle about 28k to work and back when I can, it makes a huge difference. I feel a bit achey, but way more alert, especially in the mornings.

Lichen
23-06-2010, 12:28 PM
never work in an office whatever you do. i read in the paper it makes men have bodies like women. pear shaped. big hips and thighs and narrow shoulders. who wants to look like that.
[.

I work in an office and I LOVE my new body

Mr. Tea
23-06-2010, 12:38 PM
"i read in the paper it makes men have bodies like women. pear shaped. big hips and thighs and narrow shoulders."

That's pretty much the opposite of my body shape, AT THE MOMENT. How long do you reckon I've got before I start to look like this? (http://artofresponse.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bathsheba.jpg)

Lichen
23-06-2010, 12:40 PM
How long do you reckon I've got before I start to look like this? (http://artofresponse.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bathsheba.jpg)

Oh God. It's like looking in a mirror.

DannyL
23-06-2010, 12:58 PM
"."

that's pretty much the opposite of my body shape, at the moment. How long do you reckon i've got before i start to look like this? (http://artofresponse.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bathsheba.jpg)

phwoar

DannyL
23-06-2010, 12:59 PM
those websites are nuts danny!

Funny though! I'm goiing to go to the bathroom now to try and do a one legged squat and fail and fall over.

Mr. Tea
23-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Funny though! I'm goiing to go to the bathroom now to try and do a one legged squat and fail and fall over.

Easier to just sit on the bowl though, right? Generally less messy too.

While we're at it, what exactly *is* a macrobiotic diet? You only eat large organisms, or something? I could go with that... *eyes up rhino steak*

Bang Diddley
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Bump and . . .

I've recently tried moved to a vegetarian diet over the last couple of month, but I never ate a lot of meat anyway, chicken or fish a couple of times a week and I've found that I'm tired a lot more. So it could be diet related tho' I doubt it.

I went to Holland and Barrett to see if they could suggest anything and have been trying some ginseng which seems to help. Has anyone had any experience of using any herbal remedies for fatigue or general lull ness ?

alex
12-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I know this going to sound a bit silly but a cold shower always does the trick if I wake up feeling groggy.

baboon2004
12-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Bump and . . .

I've recently tried moved to a vegetarian diet over the last couple of month, but I never ate a lot of meat anyway, chicken or fish a couple of times a week and I've found that I'm tired a lot more. So it could be diet related tho' I doubt it.

Would sem a bit of an odd coincidence if it's come at the same time as changing diet though? Eat more lentils!

mistersloane
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Bump and . . .

I went to Holland and Barrett to see if they could suggest anything and have been trying some ginseng which seems to help. Has anyone had any experience of using any herbal remedies for fatigue or general lull ness ?

When you first go veggie you tend to be really hungry alot of the time - or I was - which means you eat alot of carbs, check what you're eating and make sure your protein and iron intake is good - and don't supplement through vitamin pills, just in your diet. You have to be a bit more concientious. Sorry if you know all this already.

If you're really tired it's probably vitamin D, do a check up at the doctor and they can get you supplements there, or make sure you get in the sun as much as possible. Loads of people in the UK are D deficient.

Bang Diddley
13-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I get through loads of lentils/peas/beans in the form of daal as Mrs D is a veggie. Love that stuff in all its forms. There's so much you can do with them like kofta, dosa, tikki. Im guessing im getting the protein I need.

But like Mr Sloane says im eating more carbs and they do make me feel tired after a meal. I'll chase up the vitamin D link so thanks for that.

mistersloane
13-10-2010, 03:36 PM
I get through loads of lentils/peas/beans in the form of daal as Mrs D is a veggie. Love that stuff in all its forms. There's so much you can do with them like kofta, dosa, tikki. Im guessing im getting the protein I need.

But like Mr Sloane says im eating more carbs and they do make me feel tired after a meal. I'll chase up the vitamin D link so thanks for that.

I'd be surprised if it's not a combination of those, don't buy the vitamin D pills at a chemist though, they're rubbish; doctors have ones that are mega and will be in the doses you may need. Only know all of this cos a mate has been tired for months and just went to the doc and got told, so just relaying the info.

zhao
13-10-2010, 05:26 PM
eat less and eat right.

our bodies need a fraction of the amount of food in a normal diet. about the size of a fist a day is what i have heard, in terms of protein like the tip of your thumb. 99% of the shit we eat only slow us down.

of course the effects will only start to show after maybe a couple weeks, and become more and more apparent as your body purges all the bullshit out the system and transition to new program.

that or do a bump of meth that'll pick you right up too.

Mr. Tea
20-11-2013, 01:44 PM
I have a problem. I'm basically tired all the time while at work. Like, falling-asleep tired. I eat OK, I'm not an alcoholic or a junky, get plenty of sleep, I've even joined a gym. I think a big part of the problem is that desk jobs, even nominally 'interesting' ones, inevitably suck out all your vital forces over time. It's just that some people have a naturally greater resistance to this than others.

craner
20-11-2013, 02:18 PM
After all of these years I have come to the conclusion that the only real reasons behind this are:

1) You are bored (or at least un-enthused) by your life. You can try to hide or hide from this but your body knows. It has been like this for most of mine.

2) Some people naturally have more energy than other people. I may be as inspired and wired as I have ever been but I will never match (say) Margaret Thatcher's pace.

baboon2004
20-11-2013, 03:42 PM
After all of these years I have come to the conclusion that the only real reasons behind this are:

1) You are bored (or at least un-enthused) by your life. You can try to hide or hide from this but your body knows. It has been like this for most of mine.

2) Some people naturally have more energy than other people. I may be as inspired and wired as I have ever been but I will never match (say) Margaret Thatcher's pace.

(2) - That's because she was driven on by the demons of hell. And they have a lot of energy.
(1) - I don't think that's necessarily true; desk jobs are horrendously soul-sucking and entirely unnatural. Also, doing the same thing month after month is counter-intuitive in terms of keeping interest alive: routine kills.

Mr. Tea
20-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I think it's option 1, I mean I have plenty of energy for the things I like doing. I just find it very, very hard to muster the energy for things that don't particularly interest me, which unfortunately is most things I'm qualified to do that someone might conceivably pay me for. It's my own fault, I should have been an academic really but I blew that chance years ago. Even then, the shitty (until you get pretty senior within an establishment/publish a popular book) pay and almost negative job security don't make that a particularly appealing career choice these days unless you are so driven by your field you don't really care about anything else.

I can write, sort of, and I enjoy it. Trouble is, everyone and his dog fancies himself a writer these days. I should write a kids' book, that's where the money is. Well, that and unrealistic BDSM grot for housewives. *shudder*

Edit: sorry, I guess this belongs in the jobs etc. thread.

craner
20-11-2013, 03:52 PM
That's how I felt about it. I deliberately chose not to join academia, because I didn't want a luke-warm life pottering around Early Modern studies dating pale girls with spots and glasses.

Alas, how rash I was in the first flush of youth.

craner
20-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Mr Tea, last I heard you were earning loads of money writing algorithms in Norway and dating a girl with a PhD in David Jones. I can't see what you're moaning about.

Mr. Tea
20-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr Tea, last I heard you were earning loads of money writing algorithms in Norway and dating a girl with a PhD in David Jones. I can't see what you're moaning about.

Haha...well, part of that is still true (the girlfriend part). The earning-loads-of-money part was, to an extent, true. I was in the Netherlands, which is a lot less scenic than Norway. I'm now earning rather less (though still doing OK, I suppose) and living in Oxford, which is also a lot more scenic than the (part of the) Netherlands (I was living in).

I'm just having a whinge really, I mean there are many, many worse jobs I could be doing, and not having a job has lost whatever appeal it may once have held. I'm just not using any of the bits of my brain that are fun to use. Things are dandy otherwise.

luka
20-11-2013, 08:17 PM
i was just standing outside for 11 hours, that was pretty boring, and cold. i want to go to bed now. life is fundamentally boring cos it involves so much repitition.

craner
21-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, why didn't you go back inside?

matt b
21-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I have a problem. I'm basically tired all the time while at work. Like, falling-asleep tired. I eat OK, I'm not an alcoholic or a junky, get plenty of sleep, I've even joined a gym. I think a big part of the problem is that desk jobs, even nominally 'interesting' ones, inevitably suck out all your vital forces over time. It's just that some people have a naturally greater resistance to this than others.

Start doing ridiculous amounts of exercise and then use sitting down all day as recovery.

Mr. Tea
21-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Start doing ridiculous amounts of exercise and then use sitting down all day as recovery.

I've recently joined a gym - tonight will be my third visit. I was cycling every day for work but then the weather turned shitty and I got a car. It's a poor excuse, I know, but barely a day goes by without a cycling death story in the news, and I know that's mostly in London but I'm in Oxford which is hardly without its traffic problems. (To which I'm aware I'm now contributing, of course.)

And I suppose I'm not sucking down bus exhaust while I'm using the reflex pectoral extendifier or whatever...

matt b
21-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I've recently joined a gym - tonight will be my third visit. I was cycling every day for work but then the weather turned shitty and I got a car. It's a poor excuse, I know, but barely a day goes by without a cycling death story in the news, and I know that's mostly in London but I'm in Oxford which is hardly without its traffic problems. (To which I'm aware I'm now contributing, of course.)

And I suppose I'm not sucking down bus exhaust while I'm using the reflex pectoral extendifier or whatever...

You can cycle safely in Oxford all year! It never gets too cold, main roads are wide, although Cowley Road is now a bizarre obstacle course designed by a madman, and there is a critical mass of cyclists, which means that car drivers are aware that students on bikes could lurch in front of them at any given moment so are less likely to hit sensible riders too.

Work really hard at the Gym- do intervals, do spin classes etc.

Go every other day and sitting down at work= part of a structured training regime :)

matt b
21-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh, yeah- as you get into going to the gym/doing more exercise, you do get more energy anyway. Just force yourself to go even when you don't want to.
I've joined a gym for winter too, for what it's worth.

Leo
21-11-2013, 03:29 PM
tea, do you snore? i do -- bordering on sleep apnea -- and it prevents me from getting a good night's sleep even if i go to bed at a decent hour. snoring and screwy breathing patterns cause you to wake up throughout the night so you don't get that uninterrupted deep restful sleep and can feel sluggish/tired the next day.

you
21-11-2013, 11:01 PM

this works^

baboon2004
22-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Oh, yeah- as you get into going to the gym/doing more exercise, you do get more energy anyway. Just force yourself to go even when you don't want to.
I've joined a gym for winter too, for what it's worth.

Def true, that first bit. The way to stop the gym getting boring is, as twee as it may sound, to have some kind of goal of doing something that you can't currently manage. Just going and doing whatever, well that gets really old/boring very soon, cos gyms are inherently boring.

luka
22-11-2013, 07:01 PM
thats a fucking sad sack life. go to the gym and expend energy acheiving nothing then sit down all day.

Mr. Tea
22-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I suppose not all of us have the luxury of standing outside in the cold for 11 hours at a time.

m99188868
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Not to alarm you unnecessarily, but what you describe sounds like a burn-out. I'd see a doctor. Don't wait years like I did.

Mr. Tea
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Not to alarm you unnecessarily, but what you describe sounds like a burn-out. I'd see a doctor. Don't wait years like I did.

I've heard of this phenomenon but I'm buggered if I can think of what, exactly, could have burnt me out. I mean, I'm hardly a workaholic. It's actually improved a lot over the last few weeks, which could be something to do with joining a gym and could be complete coincidence.

I also use an antihistamine most days, typically cetirizine, which is apparently one of the 'drowsy' ones. I'd always dismissed this as one of those things that happens to people who can get an appreciable high from aspirin but I'm going to try a different one anyway, see if that makes any difference.

@Leo - I do snore sometimes, very occasionally loud enough to wake myself up. But as a rule it doesn't disturb my sleep, I don't think (just my girlfriend's, haha).

luka
06-12-2015, 06:31 PM
I've restarted my push up routine but it's harder cos I'm 2 or 3 stone heavier. With my new fat body I can do 8 on a good day. Im gunna practice every day and hopefully get to ten by 2016.

luka
06-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I was also distressed to discover I can only do 1 pull up whereas ten years ago I could do 12

luka
06-12-2015, 06:34 PM
I have also just done 7 days without drinking but dont feel better for it. Maybe I need another 7?

luka
07-12-2015, 09:53 AM
HEY GUESS WHAT GUYS I JUST DONE 10 PRESS UPS!!!!

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I have also just done 7 days without drinking but dont feel better for it. Maybe I need another 7?

I assume you mean "another 7 pints".

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 02:44 PM
HEY GUESS WHAT GUYS I JUST DONE 10 PRESS UPS!!!!

I have this idea of myself that I'm not terribly fit and probably drink too much and all the rest, but yesterday I rowed 13 km in an hour, without a pause, maximum resistance setting, no warm-up or anything. And I don't even feel bad today, just got a bit of a blister from the handle. Weird.

luka
07-12-2015, 03:15 PM
That sounds impressive. Ive never been on a rowing machine. I think the idea is to do it regularly?

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
That sounds impressive. Ive never been on a rowing machine. I think the idea is to do it regularly?

I go once a week but usually do the rower for only 10 or 20 minutes at a time and then do other stuff. I always think of your comment about being like a rat running in a wheel after driving to work, sitting down all day and then driving home, but I just don't want to have a heart attack when I'm in my 40s.

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Which happened to my grandfather and bumped the (not-so-)old fella off.

luka
07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Well if you have to sit down all day you have to do a bit of exercise or you'll turn into a hermaphrodite I read it in the evening standard

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Well if you have to sit down all day you have to do a bit of exercise or you'll turn into a hermaphrodite I read it in the evening standard

I remember that comment, too. And if it's in a newspaper it must be true!

luka
07-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Set down in black and white

Mr. Tea
07-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Their headline the other day was "TURKEY SHOOTS DOWN RUSSIAN JET", and I thought "Fuck me, I thought the fat useless cunts couldn't even fly".

luka
20-10-2017, 07:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxbczPbYWa0

cwmbran-city
07-12-2017, 06:30 PM
after getting everything left/right & below my meat n 2 veg crushed in a car wreck, doing 3years of rehab physio, local national parks are proving sanctuaries of exploration, walking, absorbing scenery, wildlife, improving mobility & keeping fit, tunes when appropriate, few j's when appropriate

fuck the gym....the outdoors & clean mountain air pushing your route times are the preferred options

add the seasonal spectrum of changing vistas an colour ranges, a decent pair of boots & a jack russell, voila

CORP$EY
22-03-2018, 03:35 PM
I've restarted my push up routine but it's harder cos I'm 2 or 3 stone heavier. With my new fat body I can do 8 on a good day. Im gunna practice every day and hopefully get to ten by 2016.

What are you on now - 200?

luka
22-03-2018, 06:24 PM
i havent done any all winter or done anything at all. i keep saying i'll start again cos im feeling puny.
ive never got much past 10. maybe 14 tops? always end up stopping any time i reach that limit and not
going back to it for months and months. pathetic really.

Mr. Tea
22-03-2018, 07:21 PM
i havent done any all winter or done anything at all. i keep saying i'll start again cos im feeling puny.
ive never got much past 10. maybe 14 tops? always end up stopping any time i reach that limit and not
going back to it for months and months. pathetic really.

Smoke some PCP and you could be doing 800 or 1000 in a session. I mean, if it works for Raekwon it can work for you, right?