Cig brands

craner

Beast of Burden
I enjoy smoking. It goes well with booze, which I also like. It keeps you skinny, and looks cool.

But, as has been pointed out, I'm a cigarette whore.

I started smoking Regals. Then went to Marlboro. Then back to Regals. Then to Marlboro Lights. Then, ridiculously, to Silk Cult. Then, even more ridiculously, to Lucky Strike (as if to make up for lost killing time). Then, flambouyently, in a New Romantic Phase, to More lights. Then, in a less New Romantic, but still absurd, Phase, to Mores. Then back to Regals, in penance for absurdity. Then, in poverty, to Mayfairs. Then, in sheer disgust, back to Regal. Then, out of laziness, back to Marlboro Lights. Then, in a swerve towards taste and pulling pretentious women, to Gauloises. Then - in a mad rash of aesthetic extremism - Davifdoff. Then, in a rather pragmatic attempt at balance - Camel Lights. I've currently settled on Stuyvesant, which I rather enjoy for what they are.

What's you brand. Why?

owen

eine nil, bitte

they all essentially taste the same, so this is a question about the aesthetics fag packets. bowie used to smoke gitanes cos they credited the designer on the packet.

my current favourite, which i was smoking in eastern berlin last month while having my heart broken (no, really, this actually happened and isn't just the plot of a dodgy new wave record) is the packet below.

O

Omaar

I ended up settling on smoking Stuyvesant Mild - I think the ones that are not super strong but not super mild. In the UK I smoked .. i think .. golden virginia tobacco? When I started watching new wave films I was into filterless Gauloises. While I hung out with euro-hippies I started smoking drum tobacco. In more civilized company I have flirted with malboro lights, dunhill ... on other ocassions old holborn, lucky strike. I had a pipe at some point which my flatmates bought me thinking I suited one, but I couldn't keep it lit so gave up on it. So I guess I am a fag whore too.

Now I don't smoke anymore except when I am drinking, and I usually just beg off someone. But smoking is now banned in NZ pubs so now I might now only smoke at parties.

Dunhill International of course!
London-Paris-New York

Stale, British, pretentious & overpriced.

Last edited:

rewch

my first love in the nicotine world was camel filters... with the odd digression into sullivan & powell's turkish ovals or benson & hedges special turkish filters... sadly these have been banned by the eu due to excessive tar & nicotine content & some sort of turkish trade issue... they (eu) allow black balkan tobacco but it just isn't the same... forty camel filters a day during my finals & the ensuing expense caused me to turn to golden virginia... which is where i've been ever since... imo all ready rolled tabs apart from the gauloise & camel filter/less department are shite & am with marlowe: 'like a high fog strained through cotton wool'

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I don't like fags, I like Amber Leaf rolling tobacco. Low in nasties, smooth draw.

I don't like that American Spirit stuff though, too dry.

I don't like smoking actually. Gonna quit soon.

craner

Beast of Burden
Does nobody fucking smoke anymore? You weirdos. I like the heavy pull on the lungs. Fuck it.

Currently on Marlboro Blend (silver packet) because I'm half lazy, want to die but not that much.

Avanti. We have months left. Let's make the most of it.

swears

preppy-kei
My dad smoked 40 Red Marlboro a day for nearly thirty years, quitting about ten years back.
I'll smoke Embassy No1s when I'm out drinking, I tend to avoid smoking during the week. One thing I won't smoke is Marlboro Lights, the top choice of wet-blanket student posers.

One weird thing though, whenever I've smoked Regals, I got this weird rash on my hands the next day. Never happened with any other brand.

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
agreed swears. like camel lights. so much better than malboro lights , agreed they just make me feel ill especially towards the end, the cut off point is alot sooner than with most other brands...

N

nomadologist

i used to smoke parliament lights before i got asthma from living in a converted factory. always liked the taste of camel lights, but marlboro lights give me a weird allergic reaction where i get dizzy and lose my breath. most of my friends smoke newports, which are just too heavy for me...

Numbers

pall_mall_new.jpg

I smoke the rolling tobacco though. No prefab for me, thanks!

N

nomadologist

my brother smokes those, so did my italian grandfather

I alternated between drum light and american spirit yellow lately, but appear to have smoked nothing since last Friday. This is some kind of record, which partly explains my recent online antipathy towards critical theory.

HeadwithCigarette-1920.jpg

Head With Cigarette, Man-Ray, 1920

"Let's take the campaign against smoking in the U.S. I think this is a much more suspicious phenomenon than it appears to be. First, deeply inscribed into it is an idea of absolute narcissism, that whenever you are in contact with another person, somehow he or she can infect you. Second, there is an envy of the intense enjoyment of smoking. There is a certain vision of subjectivity, a certain falseness in liberalism, that comes down to "I want to be left alone by others; I don't want to get too close to the others." Also, in this fight against the tobacco companies, you have a certain kind of politically correct yuppie who is doing very well financially, but who wants to retain a certain anti-capitalist aura. What better way to focus on the obvious bad guy, Big Tobacco? It functions as an ersatz enemy. You can still claim your stock market gains, but you can say, "I'm against tobacco companies." Now I should make it clear that I don't smoke. And I don't like tobacco companies. But this obsession with the danger of smoking isn't as simple as it might appear."- The Slovenian who smokers love to hate."

SMOKING BAN.

We're all doomed.

Who's for or against and pourqoui

The ban will, of course - at the level of reducing dependence on smoking/passive smoking, the ostensible pretext - back-fire, as it already has in Ireland, where the blanket restriction on all indoor public smoking was first introduced three-and-a-half years ago. What's happened there? Smoking among teenagers, for instance, has since increased by - estimates vary - between ten to twenty percent. Not only has it led to the privatization/sanitization of smoking, but also of the related pub culture, pubs shutting down, being converted into vacent anti-septic apartment blocks, as a sad private "home drinking" becomes normalised. Underlying all of this is the - pomo - discourse of victimisation, the predominant one everywhere in the West: Everyone is a victim, if not of smoking, then of something else, a feeble reduction of the subject to the status of put-upon victim. And underlying this extremely narcissistic notion of personality that Z outlines above, is a reactionary intolerance of the other's enjoyment. [Intriguing too that in the U.S., despite the "war on drugs", the biggest agricutural crop today is not wheat or corn but ...

... marijuana].
Marijuana%20in%20truck.GIF

BTW, Mr Craner, is this chap related to you?

Inventor: James Craner. Device and method for treatment of hand involved habits. US Patent Issued on January 7, 1997 .

"This invention relates to a device and method for cessation of hand-involved habits. In particular, this invention is utilized to aid in smoking cessation ... The invention consists of form-fitting barrier placed on the hand of a patient. The barrier is made of a fabric which is generally form-fitting and moves with the hand on which it is placed. The barrier is preferably in the form of a glove wherein the second and third digits (fingers) are substantially inseparably joined together and webbing connects the third and fourth digits (fingers) and the fourth and fifth digits. An insert portion of the barrier reduces the ease of contact between the connected second and third digits and the first digit (thumb)."

It's New! Yuppie Give-Up-Smoking Fashion Accessory
straitjacket.jpg

[Important: For maximum effectiveness, Wear At All Times.]