PDA

View Full Version : Good and Bad Genre Names

Aww Nein
27-06-2010, 10:39 PM
was thinking about this in relation to "drag" (in my oppinion a very good genre name) and "witch house" (the same genre, but not so good name...)

go here if you have no idea what im talking about
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/7806-ghosts-in-the-machine/

and how it seems that bad genre names tend to stick somtimes, despite or possibly because of their awfulness.

such as
Niche - good name
Bassline - unoriginal to say the least

Uk Funky? thats barely anything as a name
and as for anything with the "intelligent" prefix...

Grime is one of the few that i think is good and has stuck.

any thoughts?

Dr Awesome
27-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Witch House is bad because there's so many other ___ House micro genres.

If they'd called it Witchcraft on the other hand, it'd instantly be better. Grime is also good, as is Drag, because they both conjure up mental imagery. Grit, Trawl, Creep or Sprawl would have worked equally well in parallel circumstances.

I always liked Neurofunk and Techstep*, but then again I'm a sucker for Simon Reynolds. As mentioned elsewhere the boring functionality of Drum and Bass is a bit of a downer.
Wonky was alrite too...

*Note: predated most of the other ___steps.

Aww Nein
28-06-2010, 12:29 AM
i guess i like the drag name especially because (as i think it says in the article) it has conotations of cigarettes/drug inhalation, transvesticism, boredom, and the literal sense of dragging somthing, moving it slowly and inefficiently. which links with the musics sense of stoner psychedelia, the gender-bending that comes from pitching vocals down, the evocation of suburban american malaise and the general gothy horror-ness respectively. and its original also. but yeah creep and sprawl are pretty good.

i guess it has a lot to do withy the genres origins on the internet or from an internet-savvy generation, a fact made completly apparent in a lot of the bands involved using weird typographical symbols and unpronouncable names that wouldnt work were they not in text form (oOoOO and ///▲▲▲\\\ for example). basically its a good name probably because its a result of a couple of people deciding upon it. UK Funky, in comparison, is a name that came out of more a sort of indescision, a music that sprung up before a name and had to basically use parts of adjacent genres to names itself (this isnt to say the music isnt good or course)

i think wonky was an alright name also, i mean it did fit the music and was orignal, despite people possibly being embarressed to say it.

Dr Awesome
28-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Heh, I completely missed the obvious Drag / Transvestism angle.

Ory
28-06-2010, 06:02 AM
aquacrunk works better than wonky, although it's more specific i suppose..

Dr Awesome
28-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Really? I think Aquacrunk seems terribly one dimensional.
Wonky could be a name floated round for years and not seem out of place, but since Aquacrunk directly references another flash in the pan I don't think it'll go the distance - despite any upshots.
Nobody actually liked crunk to begin with either did they?

Mr. Tea
28-06-2010, 09:34 AM
'wanky' (= progressive wonky)

Big Nose
28-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Sublow.

Best name ever.

Sick Boy
28-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I like Hyphy. I like that the word itself is particular to the slang of the artists and their culture and acts as a sort of one-word statement of what they are all about.

Wonky is not a genre. The definition of wonky is still the exact same one that appears in the dictionary.

routes
28-06-2010, 03:31 PM
'swanky' glamorous wanky (cf. progressive wonky)

juanroberto
28-06-2010, 04:50 PM
'wanky' (= progressive wonky)

:):):)

juanroberto
29-06-2010, 04:04 AM
bed-house

when you're clubbing in fabric and you wanna sleep, music that only makes you wnanna sleeeeeepppppppp

Aww Nein
29-06-2010, 11:28 AM
mumblecore - the very indie habit of murmurring though lots of reverb, too shy of your own voice.

Slothrop
29-06-2010, 11:33 AM
'swanky' glamorous wanky (cf. progressive wonky)
I can imagine swears repping that, somehow.

Mr. Tea
29-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a soft spot for spurious made-up genre names, I have to admit. Especially:

'applecore' - an unreasonably wholesome subgenre of metal (Christian hard rock? :eek:)
'precious metal' - this makes me think of some poodle-haired '80s stadium rocker refusing to go onstage because he's sulking over a broken nail
'bleak house' - the most depressing style of dance music ever

Bang Diddley
29-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Acid Jazz - neither acid nor jazz. The name sounded like it would be a really exciting genre. Fail.

craner
29-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Shoegaze was a good genre name, because it was so appropriately slighting. But then a lot of dull Americans discovered Slowdive and adopted it as a badge of honour!

Mr. Tea
29-06-2010, 01:09 PM
'Big Beat' was pretty stupid - like, no other kind of dance music has big beats, oh no siree...

Also, anything prefixed by 'micro-' sounds rather pretentious. What's it even meant to signify, anyway?

craner
29-06-2010, 01:14 PM
And anything prefixed by 'nu' is going to be ghastly.

Bang Diddley
29-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Trip Hop - neither trippy nor hoppy.

I do like sinogrime.

Bang Diddley
29-06-2010, 01:18 PM
And anything prefixed by 'nu' is going to be ghastly.

Except D'Angelo and Badu. Weren't they nu-soul.

Bang Diddley
29-06-2010, 01:23 PM
While were here, does R'n'B (in the modern sense) still stand for rhythm 'n' blues ?

gumdrops
29-06-2010, 01:25 PM
yeah. its just a default term though isnt it. not much blues (unless you count 'singing the blues') or rhythmic excitement in most of the stiff 808/clap-heavy tracks around at the moment.

mixed_biscuits
29-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Tesco

As for made-up genres, pace Mr Tea:

jangle - jungle through a high pass filter
dearth metal - doom-laden songs about the recession
drabstep - dubstep

Mr. Tea
29-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I like Dearth Metal. :)

There are loads of potential '-step' pseudogenres. Pubstep (Chas'n'Dave meet Burial uptown?) and blubstep (emo dubstep), for example.

I'm convinced this ought to be the most righteous genre ever conceived: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Chemical_House

Edit: 'flunk' (Jamiroquai/RHCP/Lenny Kravitz)

Amicose
29-06-2010, 02:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_violence

Aww Nein
30-06-2010, 01:01 AM
screamo is pretty good, as is its lesser used alternative "skram", cartoonish panic encapsulated in a genre.

Dr Awesome
30-06-2010, 01:05 AM
While were here, does R'n'B (in the modern sense) still stand for rhythm 'n' blues ?

Rhymes and Booty.

Bang Diddley
30-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Dr A. Oddly enough I always call the Iration Steppars style of dub techsteppas as per your tag.

dave
30-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I like
Ponk = pop punk = blink 182 and such
Rugby Techno = 2 unlimited and other euro stuff that was blazed over sports highlights in the 90s = rugbytechno.com (http://rugbytechno.com)*

*disclaimer: it's my website

owengriffiths
30-06-2010, 10:57 AM
daddy long legs techno. creeping through the speakers

Mr. Tea
30-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech No Prisoners would be an awesome name for a really uncompromising techno night, label or whatever. Sure it's been done though.

I've heard that terrible modern cod-grunge stuff (you know, Staind, Nickleback etc.) described as 'constipation rock', on account of the inevitably angsty/tormented facial expression and vocal timbre the 'singer' is obliged to affect, which generally just makes him look and sound like he hasn't managed to pass solids for about three days.

grizzleb
30-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Nickleback might just be the worst thing ever. I can't imagine the type of person who enjoys such music.

FairiesWearBoots
30-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I think names are bad in general, once you get into naming themes/sub genres within a sound it tends to push
producers/listeners/promoters/Dj's down fixed paths and this becomes divisive and pushes the sound apart, obv example is drum&bass (too many specific bullshit names/sub genres)

Mr. Tea
30-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Nickleback might just be the worst thing ever. I can't imagine the type of person who enjoys such music.

I'd love to be a music journalist so I could refer to them as Stickleback, I mean pretending that's what I thought they were actually called. See also: intentionally confusing Ryan Adams with Brian Adams.

Pestario
30-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I think names are bad in general, once you get into naming themes/sub genres within a sound it tends to push
producers/listeners/promoters/Dj's down fixed paths and this becomes divisive and pushes the sound apart, obv example is drum&bass (too many specific bullshit names/sub genres)

yes but what will all the poor journalists write about???

FairiesWearBoots
30-06-2010, 07:04 PM
lol, price of FLAC's?

I dunno, I understand the need for general names (similar bpm/influences/themes/beat structures i.e 2 step)
but micro labelling does way more harm than good, imo

again I will always come back to some of the seminal sets from Blue Note days when you heard everything in a set and the crowd WANTED to be challenged, when DnB started being labelled it became liquid/neuro funk (I mean WTF?)/ etc etc and you didnt get the range of sounds in sets/nights

I love the fact that there is a very exciting middle ground/meeting point at the moment that cant be named

Big Nose
30-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Drum & Bass is pretty shit imo.

Tentative Andy
30-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I always hoped 'grimstep' would take off for stuff on the borderline between grime and dubstep.

Dr Awesome
30-06-2010, 09:36 PM
again I will always come back to some of the seminal sets from Blue Note days when you heard everything in a set and the crowd WANTED to be challenged, when DnB started being labelled it became liquid/neuro funk

Drum and Bass had been divvied up into subgenres long before Neurofunk and Liquid.
Round these parts people call really techy-heavy type stuff (Limewax, Tech Itch, Cooh, Current Value etc etc) Gash which is a fantastic name.

Mr. Tea
30-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I always hoped 'grimstep' would take off for stuff on the borderline between grime and dubstep.

Alternatively, a style of dubstep popular Oop Noarth.

Bang Diddley
01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Chill Out, it nearly became a genre with all those horrendous compilations, there was a separate section in the local HMV so I guess it qualifies.

Dr Awesome
01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Chill Out, it nearly became a genre with all those horrendous compilations, there was a separate section in the local HMV so I guess it qualifies.

See if they'd called it "Tranquilizer", I'd be much more interested.

gumdrops
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM

i liked grubstep.

Mr. Tea
05-07-2010, 12:23 PM
See if they'd called it "Tranquilizer", I'd be much more interested.

Yeah, it'd be great to see compilations called Audio Xanax vol 3 or whatever. :)

shiels
05-07-2010, 04:20 PM
House, garage, funky, drum and bass, dubstep - all shit

Jungle, 2step, techno, grime - all good

Sectionfive
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
It really has to named after a building or part of building tbh.

atoga
05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
kmt

Mr. Tea
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
It really has to named after a building or part of building tbh.

When my brother and I were kids we recorded a tape of 'shed' music, using the sound recorder function that came free with Windows 95. Well, I say 'music'...

Dr Awesome
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it'd be great to see compilations called Audio Xanax vol 3 or whatever. :)

Ketamine Sundays Vol 5.

Mr. Tea
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Ketamine Sundays Vol 5.

Nah, ketamine is at least potentially interesting (if you like that sort of thing), and kind of enjoyably sinister. Your proper white-bread "mellow beats" chillout dreck is definitely more in the valium/xanax mould. Washed down with a glass of really cheap dreadful chardonnay...

muser
05-07-2010, 09:22 PM
tropical, i kind of like it but it makes no sense to me whatsoever, is it just because their happened to be an option for it on myspace so it got reappropriated?

michael
10-08-2010, 12:43 AM
None worse than "glitch-hop", IMO.

Mind you, what's so awful about it is that it gives away how bad the music is. So maybe it's not bad after all.