russian spy ring!

petergunn

plywood violin
this shit is fascinating:

American officials said they believed that most of the accused spies had been born in Russia and had been given sophisticated training before resettling in the United States, posing as married couples. They connected with various Americans of influence or knowledge, including a “prominent New York-based financier” described as a political fund-raiser with personal ties to a cabinet official, a former high-ranking national security official, and a nuclear weapons expert.

Richard Murphy, was told to meet an intelligence operative in Rome for a "brush past" meeting, at which he would be handed a fake Irish passport for his onward journey to Russia.

This involved Murphy meeting an SVR (Russian foreign intelligence agency) agent outside a bookshop on a quiet street just south of Rome's city centre.

The agent was to identify Murphy by a copy of Time magazine he was holding, and give him the coded message: "Excuse me, could we have met in Malta in 1999?"

Murphy was to reply, "Yes indeed, I was in La Valetta, but in 2000", before being given the passport.

Criminal complaints filed in U.S. district court Monday read like an old-fashioned Cold War thriller: Spies swapping identical orange bags as they brushed past one another in a train station stairwell; an identity borrowed from a dead Canadian, forged passports of several countries, letters sent by shortwave burst transmission or in invisible
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!
ink; a money cache buried for years in a field in upstate New York.

But the network of so-called illegals — spies operating under false names outside of the usual diplomatic cover — also used cyberage technology, according to the charges. They embedded coded texts in ordinary-looking images posted on the Internet, and they communicated by having two agents with laptops containing special software pass as messages flashed between them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of the women - an attractive, wealthy divorcee still in her twenties, socialite, jetsetter etc. - was on the front of the Metro today. Clearly thinks she's a Bond villainess or something. :D Yeah, the whole thing's great; proper old-school Cold War intrigue, love it.

Leo

one of the couples apparently lived in my town when they first arrived, then moved to a house in the new jersey suburbs when they decided to have kids. EXACTLY like real americans!

STN

sou'wester
I love this.

The story going round is that their spying attempts gathered so little information that they can't actually be prosecuted for espionage.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love this.

The story going round is that their spying attempts gathered so little information that they can't actually be prosecuted for espionage.

Oh dear, how sad - like being caught dealing "drugs" and then let off because all you've got is aspirin and lactose. Well, it's good for them, I guess. But I'd have thought 'intent to commit espionage' would count as a crime?

STN

sou'wester
Yeah, my story does sound a bit beardy to be honest.

As for that Anna Chapman, she can distribute my state secrets any day of the week uh-hur-hur-hurrr.