Music sub-forums?

Which sub-forums would you like to see in Dissensus/Music?

• Track IDs: Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Track IDs: No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Audio: Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Audio: No

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Events: Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Events: No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

nomos

Administrator
I've been thinking that, as Dissensus grows, it might be helpful to add 2 or 3 sub-forums to the music section. I'm not sure if this is possible or what Matt and Mark think of this, but here's what I'm thinking:

1. Track IDs (IE "Help. What songs is this?")
2. Audio (links to mixes, rare rips, original music by Dissensus users, etc.)
3. Events

How does that sound, everybody?

Last edited:

Woebot

autonomicforthepeople said:
I've been thinking that, as Dissensus grows, it might be helpful to add 2 or 3 sub-forums to the music section.
It's really good to field suggestions like this. Also I think it makes sense to not start thinking about sub-categories in terms of genres ie "The Grime Forum", like you've done, because thats just counter-productive innit. Would serve to create ghettos.

The problem with separate sub-categories might be that you'd end up with lots of little areas where people wouldn't bother visiting. With ID-ing tracks, invariably reaching out to a small fragment of people posting here, you want EVERYONE, to check out what you're trying to ID. Actually this one doesn't appear to be popular anyway.....

As for the "downloads" section, I'm afraid that may be courting disaster legally (this isnt an mp3 forum...). I guess this opens a whole can of worms, and "the administrators position" probably ought to be that it's not acceptable to post links to downloads. So as soon as I have the time, if you can read between the lines, I'll get round to deleting these posts.

3. Events
There is actually a Calender on dissensus which people are free to put dates and events into. I dont think you need adminitrator privelleges. It'd be cool if people used it, so i guess that covers that one.

I suppose all this may change with time (if the forum grows to an unfeasible size!!!) Thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Thanks for the response. Your points are well taken. I had been wondering about the potential concerns around an audio thread. And I had completely overlooked the calendar, which I see people have started to use.

Cheers

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, I was thinking with events we'd want the chance to comment and discuss them. But the calendar sounds like it gets around this problem.

mms

sometimes
i think the only good sub forum to have would be an overall events forum whether that means art events or music events, all these obsessions overlap anyway.

As for music sub forums, no it's too stiff and boring, some of the best threads are when things go sideways.
as for one for music links and that, defintley not as most links and that tie directly into a discussion.

my two figs and a used lolly pop stick anyway

rob_giri

I can see how the audio sub would be problematic, but if it were solely used for original music then i can't see it going wry. Then again one of the appeals of it would be the sharing of rarities, but like Matt said a large can or worms could very easily be opened.

Maybe this is being a bit silly but i really hate reading about events in other countries when i'm stuck here in Australia. Take that ridiculous lowercase-sound mailing list. All there ever is now are things like 'Hey guys, i've just opened an exhibition in Sacramento - come along if you're around', whereas it (supposedly) used to be a discussion forum about the 'music of Morton Feldman, the writings of Samuel Beckett and the canvases of Mark Rothko'. Don't really know where i'm going with this, all i'm saying is that sometimes events forums can be a little alienating to overseas readers (the bit i hate most about the Wire, reading all the great things that i COULD have gone to see if i were European like all you guys). I wouldn't normally say this because obviously i could cure this ailment and just not look at it, but if you are going to have to choose one of them and not the others, then i think the Audio would be the way to go with certain limitation that can be discussed, the calender as you said appearing to already be in use.
But the Track IDs, i don't know, do we even need that? I can't say i've seen someone requesting a track ID so far, but i suppose it wouldn't hurt, it would encourage it, which is always a good thing

nomos

Administrator
childOftheBlogosphere said:
sometimes events forums can be a little alienating to overseas readers
That's why I figured it would be good to keep event annoucements and discussions in their own area rather than on the main board.

As for Track IDs, we did have one on here. Not sure if it's been deleted. My main interest here was being able to tap the huge musical knowledge at Dissensus to help me identify the odd tune in old jungle or new grime sets. I figured others might like to do the same. Again, on the main board this could get a little messy.

Question for the the Admins regarding audio posts:
If people do want to share music, should they post a direct link to the file on a thread or send people to their own blog/webspace to click a link?

Woebot

Question for the the Admins regarding audio posts:
If people do want to share music, should they post a direct link to the file on a thread or send people to their own blog/webspace to click a link?
(whispers) I wouldnt worry about it too much.....

C

captain easychord

i could take or leave any kind of forum division. i find the best boards are always just free for alls.