New Post-Punk Outweighs Old

Woebot

Was in Soul Jazz the other day and noticed that for the first time the amount of records in the nouveau post-punk bin was greater than that in the old/secondhand/reissued bin at a ratio of three quarters to a quarter.

This struck me as some kind of watershed, the ratio was inverted for a long time.

I got to thinking what great records this revial has given us, my list is very scanty and I'd be very interesting to hear what other stuff people can reccomend. My overall feeling is that i've given the genre pretty short shrift when I'm certain there are a lot of good things out there, especially twelve inches.

1) Casual Friday: Black Leotard Front
2) Optimo: Kill the DJ
3) Animal Collective: Here Comes the Indian

?

Backjob

4) The Rapture - "House of Jealous Lovers"

Can't really deny this one... They did fuck all else of note, but.

5) Out Hud - "Never let us speak of it again"

Nice trippy dance-rock I reckon. Good for cycling. Ewan Pearson also likes it.

mms

sometimes
are animal collective really post punk, they have a record out soon with vashti bunyan yoo knoo

dominic

Beast of Burden
can't quite divine what woebot's driving at -- does he mean (1) really good retro sounds OR (2) truly productive returns to past that sound like the future

in the first category, i'd suggest:

(1) dead combo -- excellent guitar feedback -- although they sometimes sound like the worst kind of JMC retreads

(2) electric turn to me -- kinda sounds like siouxsie meets jefferson airplane -- the drummer is brilliant -- if you like drums, get this -- the nico-esque singer is perhaps a drawback

Last edited:

kingofcars

i'm a big fan of the vanishing.
gothy post punk on gsl... loads of fun live (unlike the fucking rapture)

the dfa slant on things in general is a little too tongue-in-cheek for my liking. 'casual friday' is killer, tho.

ryan17

WOEBOT said:
I got to thinking what great records this revial has given us, my list is very scanty and I'd be very interesting to hear what other stuff people can reccomend. My overall feeling is that i've given the genre pretty short shrift when I'm certain there are a lot of good things out there, especially twelve inches.

1) Casual Friday: Black Leotard Front
2) Optimo: Kill the DJ
3) Animal Collective: Here Comes the Indian

?

i think that the definition of post punk is really broad here. i would place optimo as well as animal collective (to a lesser degree) outside of the boundries of post punk. optimo, i feel, hails from much more of a dance background then a post punk one.

Matos_W.K.

I love that Black Leotard Front song, the whole of DFA Comp 2 really, but that one's my favorite thing they've ever released, pretty much.

Woebot

dominic said:
can't quite divine what woebot's driving at -- does he mean (1) really good retro sounds OR (2) truly productive returns to past that sound like the future

....er both obviously! anything thats made in the spirit of nouveau post-punkery.

though we could subdivide it further if that makes you happy dom :)

mms said:
animal collective

yeah i'd agree this stretches the remit a bit. however when i went to the playback of 'here comes the indian' in nyc, arto lindsay was hanging out with them, and it struck me that theirs was very much a post-DNA post-This Heat music. Truly these are the things that i hear in them.

------------

i went to a party for the magazine FACT down the road from where i live (whispers, hoxton) the other day and they played wall-to-wall 'nouveau post-punk' (and i'd include electro-clash in this extremely loose definition) and it was superb.

Last edited:
O

Omaar

That casual friday track is pretty superb. I can't understand how a cowbell struck on every beat can sound so funk. I guess its the context. Its just that it seems to be emanating from the cowbell ...

dominic

Beast of Burden
dare I say it again -- KUDU!!!

just saw them again this evening -- sometimes i think maybe i'm smoking crack -- maybe i together with everybody that i know who has seen kudu and thinks *they're the greatest thing ever* -- maybe we're all too lost in our world to know any better . . . . but then i saw kudu again tonight -- and they can do no wrong -- sometimes things are clear and simple, and it is clear that there is kudu and then there is everybody else -- call them rock n roll, call them junglistic, call them seriously primal -- kudu are set to destroy

and let's face it, americans are too stupid to appreciate what is right before their eyes . . . . and if i were an englishman, i'd be asking how do i sign these people up -- yes, kudu's album is complete and they are UN-SIGNED . . . . partly b/c kudu know how good they are -- they want money, and they want the money now

i'm starting to lose patience -- if you want to know what's good in new york right now, the only answer is kudu

you english people may have the grime scenius thing going -- whatever -- but kudu are genius -- they are the absolute saviours

and i realize that i talk a lot of crap on dissensus -- so fine, go ahead and massively discount everything else i have said on this forum

but if i were an englishman, i'd be wanting to get kudu in my club, on my label, etc, etc, etc

and "no," i have no financial stake in kudu

i'm simply trying to tell you people how it is -- and i'm perhaps slightly drunk at the moment -- but i've just re-read what i've said and i wouldn't take a single word back -- rather i'd repeat every word ad infinitum

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
I just heard this band the A Frames today at work. Splendid stuff. When I figure out more or buy it I'll say more. It's a stripped down post punk hinting on goth....lot's of distorted bass lament with dischordant guitars. It sounds like how gothy people described Joy Division as Goth instead of punks describing it as new punk?? Erm, does that make any sense?? probably not.