cryptic crosswords

bobbin

What
recently i've got really into cryptic crosswords. (they're a form of literature, don't argue.) i had to get a book to learn how to do them, but they're wicked fun once you've got a bit of an idea.

anyone else into it, got any tips, favourite papers for it etc?

still haven't completed a guardian, times or telegraph. i almost got there with the guardian the other day, minus three or four clues. (then again on some days it's dead hard, because the setter is different maybe.)

anyway, bring on the tastes and attitudes of a 50-something upper class gent/francis urquhart. i bought a bottle of scotch whisky as well the other week (not bell's).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Cool, I wanted to start a thread about crosswords ages ago but couldn't really think of anything much to say about them other than that I like them. Haven't done one in a while, I must be pretty rusty.

I've written a few myself, will see if I can dig them out and post them up here. They're not super hard but they are properly cryptic and I was really chuffed with some of the clues. I actually found fitting the words into the grid harder than coming up with the clues.

Edit: ha, I bought a bottle of good Scotch the other day too - it had been waaay too long since the last one. Easily the best drug going, I reckon. :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Private Eye clues always make me snigger (because I'm a schoolboy at heart) but I can never solve any of them.

bobbin

What
I've written a few myself, will see if I can dig them out and post them up here. They're not super hard but they are properly cryptic and I was really chuffed with some of the clues. I actually found fitting the words into the grid harder than coming up with the clues.

Edit: ha, I bought a bottle of good Scotch the other day too - it had been waaay too long since the last one. Easily the best drug going, I reckon. :D

pretty impressed by that!

never done a private eye, might try one. guess it's some big setters on a day off, taking the opportunity to be a bit more risque :)

there was a good themed one in the guardian the other week, all tennis stuff but you didn't need to know about tennis to get them. quite clever i thought.

i got a bottle of an cnoc knocked down quite a bit in oddbins. delicious. plus the landlord at one of my locals went all the way round scotland picking up a massive whisky menu. useful!

i heard about this needing getting inside the head of the setter idea. it's not an appealing idea to me, i'd like to be able to approach crosswords more on their own terms.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
pretty impressed by that!

The crosswords or the whisky?

They're on my old laptop, which is knackered although I've left it with my brother who Knows About Computers to salvage the contents of the HD, which I should be getting back tomorrow. So with a bit of luck I'll be able to post them up here pretty soon.

I like the Private Eye crossword - I'd say it's about on a par with some of the less insane Guardian setters. Just about right for me. Oh, and I'd be lying if I said the inevitable smuttiness wasn't part of the attraction too, of course.

Last edited:

bobbin

What
I like the Private Eye crossword - I'd say it's about on a par with some of the less insane Guardian setters. Just about right for me. Oh, and I'd be lying if I said the inevitable smuttiness wasn't part of the attraction too, of course.

will give it a go. sometimes the guardian is fucked up, sometimes the level is quite reasonable i find.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hear me now! Mr. Tea, posting crosswords at 2.30am so, uh, you don't have to.

slide1ed.jpg

slide2ex.jpg

slide3d.jpg

Last edited:

bobbin

What
wow! if i had a printer i would be printing these out and doing them. but i don't :(
the fact that 5 across in the first one is such a gift makes me want to get going :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, like I said they're hardly Araucaria standard. I was quite pleased with 8A on the first one - worthy of Private Eye, I ween. :D

A clue I came up with but haven't used in a complete crossword yet is: 'World summit for First Lady, then a break!' (7). Again, not madly difficult but I like how it works as a clue.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the fact that 5 across in the first one is such a gift makes me want to get going"
Scat right? For some reason I really struggle with cryptic crosswords but I think you're right, if yoiu can get one to start with then it's encouraging and makes you want to get stuck into the rest.

bobbin

What
hahahaha
can't believe you thought the answer could be scat
loser!
(with a one-track mind)

er yeah i believe it's scat as well :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Truth be told, Rich is obsessed with poo, so he was probably just thinking aloud.

Actually, the next clue across has a not unrelated theme...oh dear....

bobbin

What
does guiness give you the runs?

5 down brought a twinkle to the eye of someone who once studied a bit of philosophy.

jenks

thread death
They aren't bad - certainly wouldn't look out of place on the back page of the Torygraph or a Monday Guardian. Some nice anagrams. Also the syntax of the clues is pretty spot on

I have always found the FT ones amongst the most difficult imaginable.