Mercury Prize 2010

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
The XX album is the only one of those that I've heard, and it's pretty good

Pretty, pretty good :larrydavid:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
i think the only taste it can reflect is some Sunday supplement music critic's. Banal doesn't start to cover it.

Give to Wild Beasts, at least they're trying

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The xx are still great. The rest of those choices...aren't, really. I liked an interview given by the lead singer of Foals, but I can't vouch for their music whatsoever.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
I just don't see the XX thing at all. It's like Slowdive have heard a dubstep record or something - ditchwater dull indie pepped up with some secondhand beats

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's the Young Marble Giants and no worse for that. What I really like about them is that 16 year old goths from Corby listen to them as well as Guardian readers in Hampstead dinner parties, they achieved a truly pan-generational, pan-subculture sound, and should be applauded for it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's the Young Marble Giants and no worse for that. What I really like about them is that 16 year old goths from Corby listen to them as well as Guardian readers in Hampstead dinner parties, they achieved a truly pan-generational, pan-subculture sound, and should be applauded for it.

Yeah, totally. It's an identifiably post-punk sound, and the minimalism is way more adventurous than most indie music out there. Plus, the way their voices intertwine is magical - can't remember the last indie/guitar group where the interplay of male and female voices was so well realised. Let me have a ponder.

?

Leo

Yeah, totally. It's an identifiably post-punk sound, and the minimalism is way more adventurous than most indie music out there. Plus, the way their voices intertwine is magical - can't remember the last indie/guitar group where the interplay of male and female voices was so well realised. Let me have a ponder.

?

i still really like the xx album, for reasons mentioned...plus, they were only bloody teenagers when they made it, which is impressive. they might never do anything of value again, but that first album is a keeper.

haven't heard most of the nominees, although i do like the wild beasts' album. it has an orange juice/associates thing going on with the vocals and songwriting that clicks for me.

e/y

from the list, my favourite was Katy B's album. along with Robyn's triple album last year, one of the best pop LPs of the last few years.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd say Blake would be a virtual shoo-in, ensuring a massive increase in sales for his MORstep (the album rather than the preceding stuff, of course).

Edit:Ah, just saw Katy B. Him or her, or someone else who's been to Goldsmiths or that other place.

Robyn roasts them all, it's true.

Last edited:

gumdrops

actually i really dont know who will win but i doubt katy b will as that album is not at all 'serious' (even with the dubstep cred it has)

ghostpoet is boring as anything so shouldnt win (but might)

e/y

PJ Harvey's album received incredibly glowing reviews from critics, think she will win. her or Adele (who I cannot stand. think it's the contrived 'regular person' image).

eltsac

pj harvey should win it... her album was very very good.

i was hoping darkstar's album would have snuck in there.