house of cards

bobbin

What
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cards

i only heard about this series recently, but it's amazing. if you can't get into it because 99% of the characters are tories, then that's silly to be honest.

ian richardson is great in it. and i like the arc of the viewer's relationship with francis urquhart. the revelation of his nature is very well paced i thought. the way that to start with he comes off very charming and even forgivable against a background of rats who largely seem no better. little things are part of it like the way he appears to deplore the racists and anti-semites in the party.

i found the love interest a bit, er, edgy to be honest. i guess that's the idea but i'm glad the program is too tasteful for proper sex scenes!

do any fans think the subsequent series live up to it? apparently the author of the book it was adapted from only followed it up after they made the tv series, which seems like a potentially dubious sign.

grizzleb

Sounds interesting, will try and check out at some point.
I've recently had a renewed interest in classic British TV. Just downloaded a copy of Nigel Kneale's of Quatermass fame's 'Year of the Sex Olympics', it's supposed to be great, prescient and all that shit. Looking forward to getting it watched at the weekend. The Quatermass programs are quality as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Sex_Olympics

bobbin

What
that looks great! quatermass and the pit is one of my all time favourite series.

thinking about renaming this so it's a general 'classic british tv' thread, if that works.

edit: don't think it can be done. never mind. feel free to digress further though.

grizzleb

I watched 'Sex Olympics' last night and I thought it was brilliant. Heavily over-the-top but there were some great performances from the lead males (some hilarious lines delivered in a dead-pan fashion). Highlight was Brian Cox clapping at TV sex like yer Dad watching darts. Highly recommended.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Year of the Sex Olympics is fantastic.
I seem to remember the follow up to House of Cards (To Play The King was it?) was pretty solid but it's so long since I've seen it I can't be sure.