Proper music with guitars and singing and stuff

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So yeah, it's struck me recently that I've become sufficiently wrapped up in all this techno techno techno stuff that, apart from folk and classical, its been ages since I actually listened to any new music that works with songs, 'real' instruments and a reasonably conventional idea of live performance...

What are people into at the moment? Is there anything good that I'm missing?

Leo

- last couple of albums by french band turzi
- new one by k-x-p on smalltown supersound
- health - get color (not that new but pretty good)
- richard youngs - beyond the valley of the ultrahits (a pop album!)
...and looking forward to be upcoming second album from grinderman

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
This will stick in my mind as The Day Trent Reznor Got Props On Dissensus. :D

Is there something I should know?
I'm not the worlds greatest NIN fan (30 something, desperately trying to be edgy and still with it, whatever), but think most of his work his stuff is alright.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is there something I should know?
I'm not the worlds greatest NIN fan (30 something, desperately trying to be edgy and still with it, whatever), but think most of his work his stuff is alright.

Oh, I'm not dissing him per se - I still reckon the first NIN album is good fun in a cheesy sort of way, and the Quake soundtrack is a very solid piece of ambient industrial - he's just not the sort of artist you see people talking about on here very often.

continuum

smugpolice
A mate of mine puts on gigs in Oxford for these experimental noise bands like Nitkowski. Another good band I saw recently at one of these events are Shield Your Eyes >

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
- richard youngs - beyond the valley of the ultrahits (a pop album!)
I've been meaning to check some of his stuff for a while, actually. What else has he done recently that's worth picking up?

Also, I quite like the way 'Ultrahits' seems to be on LP but with free vouchers to get the MP3s - quite a nice way of handling the irrationally like vinyl / rationally get more use from digital dilemma.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
agree they are great live. the drummer is mental

yeah Nitkowski's drummer is insanely good.

Shield Your Eyes are also good.

The guys from Nitkowski put on really good monthly(ish) parties called Spatchcock.
Next one is end of august. they always have lots of good weird shit there.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
funny. I always get the (same) feeling I might miss something interesting in the whole indie/traditional-band/guitar world... but then when I look all seems bland and highly sub-niched with just nuances of differencies between most bands... so yea, recommendations please~

here's some old & new doing their own little thing with a more band-y approach that might be easily overlooked.

no voice but: guitars n drums n bass n techno ?
Elektro Guzzi

also very berlinian.
Hey-O-Hansen
new-ish.
old-ish
can't find 4 Saisons nor L'elephant Cruel which I like most from about a decade back...

And some noise & grunting I found highly entertaining for ~5 minutes.
Quest For Blood (japanese deathmetal with manic flute player...)

c.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
why do something always come tpo mind when you hit submit.

Something from these neck of the woods & criminally underrated imo.
Olmecha Supreme
also worth noting. the huge dude holds the world record in non-stop beatboxing & is a general legend around here.

c.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Finally getting to grips with the new Dead Weather album too, more cohesive now that I'm listening to it the correct way around.

Any fans around these parts?

malcolm

i can't say i actively search non dance music,, there is still albums i listen to from when i was younger.

my contribution to this thread is a band called Beach House -Teen Dream, afaik it was released in 2009 but it's quite good. shoegaze type music.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"new one by k-x-p on smalltown supersound"
I keep reading about this band, got a link for them? Think they are some of the guys who were in OP:L Bastards if I remember correctly, they were pretty good fun.