Cold War Films

craner

Beast of Burden
I got transfixed by homoerotic cop buddy binge Red Heat on ITV4 last night.

In this thread could you please recommend Cold War-related films for me to watch.

crackerjack

Saw Sam Fuller's 52 St Pick-up the other week. Brilliantly shot and acted, tho the McCarthyism is laid on with a shovel.

D

droid

I have a real soft spot for Rocky 4. I particularly love the training montage in which, exiled to a rundown gulag Dacha the plucky American trains using the simple tools of the peasant woodman (winning the grudging respect of his KGB minders in the process), whilst the evil Russian trains in a sterile lab surrounded by scientists, technology and sinister apparatchiks.

D

droid

Ohh Ohh - Firefox! The most outlandish, but least offensive Eastwood cold war flick.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What about Cold War proxy conflicts? I suppose 'Nam films can't be included because they form a sizeable canon in themselves, right?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Watch Threads if you really want to frighten and depress yourself. I can't believe this actually got made. Was it ever shown?

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, Threads is a favorite also. Cold War proxy movies certainly count, nuclear holocaust movies, spy movies...

Lives of Others
Red Dawn

bruno

est malade
i liked rocky in afghanistan, or whatever it was called. it was a deluge (invasion usa, red dawn, etc). i'm surprised no one has mentioned preminger's the human factor, while not great and not as effective as the book it was good, i thought. not to be confused with the human factor starring george kennedy ;)

bruno

est malade
i am only now getting into le carré and have a huge eurospy craving at the moment. sidney lumet's the deadly affair is next on my list, but i would appreciate any recommendations (le carré adaptations or otherwise).

bruno

est malade
Watch Threads if you really want to frighten and depress yourself. I can't believe this actually got made. Was it ever shown?
it was, i saw it on television and it made a huge impression. the nuclear standoff was a very real thing from a canadian perspective, even as a child one could sense it and more than a bit of tension with the united states (and a vague distrust of the nasty russians as portrayed by the above-mentioned films). after threads it all sort of faded away, in my mind at least.

Last edited:

crackerjack

i am only now getting into le carré and have a huge eurospy craving at the moment. sidney lumet's the deadly affair is next on my list, but i would appreciate any recommendations (le carré adaptations or otherwise).

Well obviously you have to watch Spy Who Came In From The Cold if you haven't already.

Stuntrock

Sorry guys, but here's a real good one : Seven days in May

But hold on, here's a really good bad one : Young Nurses in Love

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
^^^

& Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

& Smiley's People
Yeah, the old BBC adaptations are brilliant.

Also, the bit where a younger Smiley (played by Alec Guinness) tries and fails to interrogate 'Karla' (played by Patrick Stewart) is OMG IT'S JEAN LUC PICARD STARING DOWN OBI WAN KENOBI!