post-'06 dubstep that sounds 06ish

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
That's what I thought Swamp 81's M.O. seemed to be at first, but then I realized after seeing the last three releases that it was basically only Kryptic Minds who were bringing that to the table. I don't even really like Kryptic Minds very much; they're a bit to self-consciously '06-styled dubstep.

I think I remember there being some bits I liked off the Silkie album that were reminiscent of that warm, dubby style, although you don't see much of the stark minimalist stuff so much anymore do you? Skream's Trapped In A Dark Bubble was a cracker for that kind of fix.

What's going on with Loefah? I know he runs that label now, but does he still make tunes himself like he used to?

Leo

What's going on with Loefah? I know he runs that label now, but does he still make tunes himself like he used to?

during that benji b interview from a few weeks back, he said he stopped making beats for a while because he was unhappy with what he was doing, wasn't coming together (even said he doesn't like anything he released after "ruffage"). but he then said he's started again, and in the set of forthcoming swamp81 releases, there was something by "unknown artist" that they kind of implied was his. seem to recall it had a bit of a detroit/808 vibe.

Benny Bunter

06 was a golden year for dubstep and all that, but 06 was also when dubstep started to plod and I'm not sure I'm really down with that any more. Just about the only dubstep thing I can be bothered listening to nowadays is the pre-halfstep era stuff (especially that old hatcha mix that Blackdown unearthed on his blog). Everything else just brings me down.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I really miss proper plod tbh. These days you've got the moshy wobble stuff which is mostly just awful and loads of people doing stuff that's kind of like the serious boys' version of garage or funky house (ie it's got beats you can dance to but it's definitely not fun because that would be a bit girly) and some of that's great, but there's nothing much like the old heavy deep meditational halfstep stuff. Which is a shame, because for my money the thing of being slow and heavy and deep and introspective while still actually being communal dance music was at least as radical and exciting as all the early garagey tunes.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
That Orson release has been one of the greatest surprises for me this year. Thanks to whoever spotted it in that original dubstep thread. I've played it everywhere, and at home every time I mix. Madness is fantastic, really fun track to mix. My only gripe about it is that you can't cue directly from the start.
With the whole 06' thing, I've just been using this time to buy represses and track down tracks off discogs.
System/Molten arrived in the post this morning. As did Toasty Boy - Splash . The various Jack Sparrow bits have a nice kinda "old" tribal vibe too.

atoga

Time Dilated by Matter - Timeblind, same label as that orson:
a bit different but it has the orientalism & heaviness down

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
KM & Youngsta http://boomkat.com/vinyl/300904-kryptic-minds-youngsta-cold-blooded-surge

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Skream gave this away for free recently.

Hybrid/Wasteland are more 06' ish imo, and Dark Light is an old tune, so kinda doesn't count.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I'd be relunctant to reduce 06 = plod/eyes down. This is also the time of skream's ancient memories remix, coki tortured, mala anti war dub & bury the boy.

Phaedo

Distance, Cyrus, Kryptic Minds, VIVEK, SP:MC, Verse, Mala, Calibre, Icicle, Antisocial and plenty of other names are continuing that older darker sound while still keeping things fresh. 2004 -2006 obviously had a special vibe but if you like that older sound there's still plenty of stuff imo.

jimitheexploder

Really feeling that new VIVEK EP, he's on it. I've not enjoyed such a deep set from someone in some time until I heard him warming the place up at DMZ's 4th Bday in Leeds. I just got the mix CD that comes with the wax too, its sounding real nice.

More on this deep vibe at least... Icicle and Orphan101, we've had mixes from them both recently on tha rootah and they keep that vibe rolling in their own way. Those new Pinch bits with Pavel Ambiont http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=PP100 sound good too. LHF remind me of it too but a whole bunch more at the same time.

Client Eastwood

I'd be relunctant to reduce 06 = plod/eyes down. This is also the time of skream's ancient memories remix, coki tortured, mala anti war dub & bury the boy.

Nods in agreement as much as I love the introspective stuff. Hold tight Grevious Angel and Placid for their early dubstep mixes.

Good thread Ill try to check some of the tunes. I'm still feeling the Silkie CD so much. Probably the best set I've bought as I can't afford 12's and vinyl.

Is there other stuff on CD is should look into.