zhao

there are no accidents
here is how to succeed in today's dance music industry.

take good indigenous music such as Cumbia, Baile Funk, South African House, Hiphop, UK Funky, or anything else, and:

1. remove any trace of soul
2. take out all the organic groove
3. make mechanical funk-less machine beats roughly in the pattern of original
4. add shitty digital distortion
5. add plenty of stomach churning bass
6. send to Discobelle or Mad Decent
7. enjoy new jet setting lifestyle

Last edited:

ether

remember to garnish with:

1. lumberjack shirts/straight peek hats.
2. east london.
3. dayglo colours.
4. gushing style mag praise.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
name names or STFU :cool: :p

Anyone on Fools Gold records? And all those twats like Fake Blood, Jack Beats etc too, in fact most former turntablists are guilty of this shit.

Zhao, just out of curiousity, why do you spend time on Low Bee if this type of thing annoys you? I just had a gander there and found the most unnecessary remix of all time:

Why these plebs feel the need to make an absolute drivel ridden mix of one of the best club rap tracks of the last few years is beyond me. The track already works in a club you twats!

zhao

there are no accidents

nah... i don't wanna offend anyone directly.

and there are some exceptions of blog-music which is (not mad) decent.

i mean i'm not opposed to the pallette itself, good things can be done with shitty digital distortion. just it's become so formulaic.

however most of it is rubbish. blog-reggae like major laser for instance...

zhao

there are no accidents
are former turntablists doing bloggy shit these days??? this is news to me.

personally, i blame justice. frat electro bollocks.

and then came the blog-cumbia (ZZK) and blog-reggae (major laser), and too much blog-funky to mention (night-slugs might fit in this category but i like a lot of their stuff)

oh shit i just remembered someone said the other night that THERE IS A DOC. FILM ON BLOG-HOUSE?!?!?!

wascal

Wild Horses
are former turntablists doing bloggy shit these days??? this is news to me.

Jack Beats = Plus One (Scratch Perverts) + Beni G (Mixologists)

Fake Blood = DJ Touche who used to be on Wall of Sound

A-Trak = Doing bloghouse w DJ Medhi

Hmm, 12hrs a day practising scratching to impress aging men in big trousers or 1 hour a week knocking up obnoxious rave tunes to play at girl filled, fun, lively dances? What a choice ;)

Last edited:

Webstarr

Hmm, 12hrs a day practising scratching to impress aging men in big trousers or 1 hour a week knocking up obnoxious rave tunes to play at girl filled, fun, lively dances? What a choice ;)

didn't know plus one was part of Jack Beats, I just remember seeing an awful set by Scratch Perverts a year ago.

Alfons

Way of the future
So Zhao are your "mash-ups" (world type music vs. electronic music) intrinsically different from these culture vultures or is it a question of methodology and respect (i.e. the stuff on http://soundcloud.com/djzhao)? Realize its far from the populist blog sound but it builds on similar principles no? Genuine question, and the elephant in the room in this thread imo.

zhao

there are no accidents
So Zhao are your "mash-ups" (world type music vs. electronic music) intrinsically different from these culture vultures or is it a question of methodology and respect (i.e. the stuff on http://soundcloud.com/djzhao)? Realize its far from the populist blog sound but it builds on similar principles no? Genuine question, and the elephant in the room in this thread imo.

to me it is a matter of methodology and respect, and what the end product sounds like. but this is subjective to a degree. what do YOU think? :)

4linehaiku

Repetitive

A-Trak = Doing bloghouse w DJ Medhi

Hud Mo too, though maybe not quite "obnoxious rave tunes". Definitely more girls, fun and lively-ness.

Last I checked Craze was playing Miami Bass.

I'm sure the list goes on.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
gentrification schmentrification

this is all true zhao, you nail the trend well...but these unimaginative half-understanding plebs would not be in a position to abuse this music, if the (lets say) more thoughtful, respectful and dutiful cultural travellers (that's you!) had not brought it to their attention first.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah ok smartasses :p i'm just a broke ass dj who plays the best shit he knows... and mixing it up some.

afrojack. and a lot of those dutch guys. (actually i have wondered what funky heads thinks about that stuff)

someone told me dude gets 5000 euros everytime he plays, in his home town. so he's not a jet setter by choice...

edit: this sound is all trendy signifiers, no substance. i liked it for half a minute before realizing that it's total fucking bollocks. they use one little hooky sound to build 8 minutes of pointless arpeggios and predictable breakdowns around.

compared to so much rubbish, i think nightslugs are people who for the most part do it right, and bring another level to the sound which is pretty damn cool actually.

Last edited:

luka

he pretty much did name names. evreyone associated with discobelle and mad decent. i think thats fair.