for fear of being a chorus of one

dominic

Beast of Burden
or in the hope that i'll either be confirmed in my enthusiasm, pointedly disagreed with, or told that they're decent or even quite good but not all that i've claimed for them . . . .

in other words, so that we can get a second opinion around these parts . . . .

an opinion other than my ranting n raving at every opportunity . . . .

kudu play galapagos this thursday night -- it's yet another tsunami benefit -- i don't plan on going as i can only go out so many nights a week -- but for others in nyc -- or for certain out-of-towners interested in seeing nyc's best dance music act -- or best psychedelic pop act, or best act w/ some sonic debts to early 80s post punk, etc, etc, etc -- at one of williamsburg's cooler venues -- here's the details:

this thursday at galapagos art space, 70 north 6th street, williamsburg

3.24 8pm $5-$50
no one turned away

Aguacero: lluvia repentina e impetuosa
(Rainstorm: sudden an impetuous rain)

Aguacero is a benefit for the Red Crescent Fund aiding Tsunami victims. Visual and performance artists donate their creativity and sounds to celebrate art, life and music.

How do creative visual artists see our city, our country and our world? Find out as the Trust Your Struggle Collective hosts an exhibition of artwork by local and Bay area artists based on the theme life, through beauty, change, and struggle. The diverse collection of multi-dimensional artwork will include such mediums as pencil drawings, photography, acrylic paintings, multi-media, fabric collages and fashion.

Visual Artists Include: Borish, Corey J. Willis, Marie Hart, Miguel Perez, Romeo Rex, Scott Hoag, Shane Nash

Plus Runway Fashions with 1 Soul Designs, Live music by Game Rebellion and KUDU, poetry by Khalil Almustafa. DJ Scientific spins for dancing from 10-4am.

OF COURSE IF YOU'RE NOT FROM OUT OF TOWN, then you can see kudu every tuesday at nublu ------ yeah the other night was supposed to be their last at nublu, but their run has evidently been extended through the spring season ------- they usually take the stage at around 12 midnight ------ and while nublu is hardly the sort of venue to attract dissensus types, i recommend kudu to everyone at dissensus ------ and whether you regret going or thank the stars, post your opinion here so that i'll cease to be a lone crazy man crying out from the dark ----- and the address is 62 Avenue C b/w 4th and 5th streets (look for the blue light)

dominic

Beast of Burden
redcrescent said:
Any audio/video available?

yeah they have audio clips on their website -- but i don't think their studio productions do justice to their live show -- i.e., live show is RAW, i.e., demonic drums, keyboard effects wherein such effects are either "wet" or rave-y, and rocking howling singing -- and that's it -- no guitars, no horns, or anything else

one of the things that may explain kudu's lack of media coverage is their age -- that is, i don't know their age -- but they're certainly not fresh-faced white kids straight outta art school

plus there's the fact that they're not from the "post punk" scene, even though they've played parties with the likes of !!!

D the drummer is john cale's drummer on other projects (and does a lot of studio work)

and sylvia the singer is evidently a well-regarded jazz singer and bassist in nyc jazz circles

and then kudu is the project that they do together

redcrescent said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the above mean?

i'd imagine that $5 to $50 has something to do w/ fact that it's a tsunami fund raiser -- they'll probably size you up at the door and determine how much they can take you for

Last edited:

redcrescent

Got it. That 'no one turned away' business still has me guessing, tho'.

Do you have the link to Kudu's website? All I get is stuff about the African kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros).
What a beautiful creature!
kudu.jpg

dominic

Beast of Burden
perhaps they've had to turn people away before at galapagos??? i don't know . . . . but it's a pretty cool destination -- they used to (and may still) show films on sunday nights there -- and they have really good burlesque comedy shows on monday nights -- though i haven't gone there since i moved away from east williamsburg several years ago, so can't really say

the kudu link is as follows: www.kudu2u.com

-- and yeah, they're named after the african antelope

dominic

Beast of Burden
again, i'd emphasize that live show is much more dark and raw than the audio clips -- in particular, in the live shows the live drumming is accentuated (i guess that's redundant!), and the whole sound is much more "wet," and the entire feel much more groovy/voodoo/psychedelic -- the audio clips to my ear are far too clean and the drum programming not that impressive (indeed, they seem to forget that their strength is D's actual drumming, not drum programming) -- yet the audio clips should suffice to show that kudu also have a good ear for pop catchiness, in addition to raw power (though the raw power, again, has to be witnessed live)

dominic

Beast of Burden
saw kudu again last night . . . . fucking brilliant . . . . bass higher in the mix than ever before . . . . and yes, i will keep posting on kudu until somebody at dissensus bothers to see them . . . . disagree, agree, correct what i say, whatever . . . . hearing kudu live there are no comparisons, they're that good . . . . so yeah i'll keep doing this until somebody on dissensus and in new york sees them and comments . . . . if necessary, i'll post on kudu every single day of the week -- so please somebody out there go see them and respond