I like the bad later albums

connect_icut

I was just listening to Flow Motion by Can - and rather enjoying it! I also have a penchant for the latter-day Jonathan Richman albums...

Anyone else out there have favourite albums made by artists in the autumn years of their careers, when they were generally considered to be past their best?

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
the later Richman albums are fantastic..

I love Vegas Elvis more than Sun Elvis.

There, I've said it.

And I prefer Husker Du after Candy Apple Grey, not Zen Arcade.

connect_icut

Ha ha! I thought this thread would capture at least one person's attention. Anyone else game?

the later Richman albums are fantastic.

I'm surprised how many people are prepared to 'fess up to liking these. To me, the first album and early demos are fine but the later stuff is the real Jonathan.

And I prefer Husker Du after Candy Apple Grey, not Zen Arcade.

That's a good one. Warehouse is easily my favourite Husker Du album.

Oh and I should probably mention that I prefer Beggars-era Fall to Rough Trade-era Fall. But then I prefer Beggars-era Fall to just about anything.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Def agree with teh Warehouse point.
The Love Movement is my favourite Tribe album. Weird that both TLM & Beats Rhymes & Life are both considered the falling off stage of their career but also have sacred cow dilla all over them

connect_icut

Def agree with teh Warehouse point.
The Love Movement is my favourite Tribe album. Weird that both TLM & Beats Rhymes & Life are both considered the falling off stage of their career but also have sacred cow dilla all over them

I like Beats, Rhymes & Life okay but I've never heard The Love Movement. How about the later Gang Starr albums? I thought Moment of Truth was alright. But then I always preferred Hard to Earn to Daily Operation, which seems to be a slightly controversial opinion.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
roxy_music_avalon.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
at risk of losing my industrial noise cred, have to say that i enjoy the later more lyrical and narrative Neubauten albums more than their earlier and rougher sound.

but far as can goes nothing beats Future Days. and while some of the 80s disco stuff can be amusing (the pool party song), it is generally wince inducing...

Benny Bunter

at risk of losing my industrial noise cred, have to say that i enjoy the later more lyrical and narrative Neubauten albums more than their earlier and rougher sound.

Good one, so do I. All about Silence is sexy and Perpetuum Mobile. They were amazing live around this period too, just as intense as in the old days but in a different way.

zhao

there are no accidents
just as intense as in the old days but in a different way.

compositional dynamics... i'm a firm believer of building up the tension until it becomes, not almost, but actually, unbearable, and then, to quote that one guitar dude losing it on the airplane, unleashing the fucking fury. :D

but of course constant stream of noise is good too for other occasions...

gumdrops

love movement is very underrated. in my personal top 3 tribe albums. never liked moment of truth much - thought the ownerz was much better.

luka

ever since i declared hard to earn to be the best gangstarr album its been an acceptable opinion to hold. the love movement on the other hand is beyond the pale. 5 hail marys. kneeling on broken glass. im very fond of kool g raps 4,5,6 though...

gumdrops

yeah 456 has take em to war and money on my brain. his last good album i think, before he kept going on and on about boring mafioso stuff.

Last edited:

crackerjack

if youre floundering... midnight mauraders is the best ATCQ album.

Damn right. If you think Love Movement is the best Tribe album you shouldn't be listening to Tribe, you should be listening to Little Brother or Slum Village.

yeah 456 has take em to war and money on my brain. his last good album i think, before he kept going on and on about boring mafioso stuff.

And Fast Life ft Nas - I'd post it up but it's only remixes on YouTube.

Also Iron Flag and Blackout 2.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I thought 'The Ownerz' was pretty shite, personally - Guru had REALLY lost it by that point and I didn't even think the beats were that good. I love 'Moment of Truth'.

I haven't ever really listened to much Kool G Rap but I like this one off 4,5,6

The only Kool G Rap album I've ever owned was the really boring one about Mafiosi. I bought it in the days before I had the internet and so had to rely on the oxford HMV selection.

luka

guru had lost it when momenyt of truth came out in my opion, i was embaressed when i heard it.... amazig beats tho

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I bought 'Moment of Truth' about a year after I got into hip-hop, I wasn't aware that Guru had fallen off really. I remember he wrote into Hip Hop Connection magazine complaining that they'd given him a separate rating to Premier in the review.

I still think Guru's great on 'Betrayal' (feat Scarface) though. That's probably my favourite tune by them.

Once again though I have to admit I haven't actually listened to a lot of their old stuff.

gumdrops

moment of truth is when i thought he fell off.

kool g rap had this one album of outtakes around the time of 4,5,6 that had some pretty good stuff on it, though what era it dates from i dont know.

used to love this one -

if you can tolerate the sexism, this is also g rap in his prime. must be mid 90s ish -