When Burroughs Met Bowie

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Continuing the theme:

http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Appearances/Press/1974/0228/rsinterview/

Bowie: Nova Express really reminded me of Ziggy Stardust, which I am going to be putting into a theatrical performance. Forty scenes are in it and it would be nice if the characters and actors learned the scenes and we all shuffled them around in a hat the afternoon of the performance and just performed it as the scenes come out. I got this all from you Bill... so it would change every night.

nochexxx

harco pronting
all good stuff, i could read this stuff for hours. incidentally my favourite book is this.

162571.jpg

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I didn't even know that existed. As far as I can tell it contains interviews that aren't in the Semiotext collection - is that right? Now I'm pondering whether to spend money on a few interviews (I see that some Semiotext material is in the above)...

nochexxx

harco pronting
I didn't even know that existed. As far as I can tell it contains interviews that aren't in the Semiotext collection - is that right? Now I'm pondering whether to spend money on a few interviews (I see that some Semiotext material is in the above)...

silly me, i linked the wrong book. the book i meant to post about is this one. lots of recorded party conversations between Burroughs and various celebs. i have yet to read the other one :D

51706.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting

just read a review (posted below) at amazon and it says...
"Completists will note that of the 21 interviews collected here, 10 of them do not appear in "Live."

4.0 out of 5 stars Succinct Overview of Burroughs' Meeting with the Press, September 10, 2009
By WaxNostalgic (Nom De Plume) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Conversations with William S. Burroughs (Literary Conversations Series) (Paperback)
Readers who already own "Burroughs Live," a nearly 800+ page colllection of Burroughs interviews, may be hesitant to buy "Conversations With..." But this book is a bit more than a Readers Digest condensed version of "Live."

People just starting to approach Burroughs will certainly be less intimidated by this 226-page collection, and might find it a more appropriate "port of entry." Completists will note that of the 21 interviews collected here, 10 of them do not appear in "Live." While most of these "outtakes" have material that is well-trodden in "Live" and are not essential reading, there are three very strong exceptions.

Both J.E. Rivers and noted Burroughs scholar Jennie Skerl have interviews here that I would consider essential reading for anyone who studies Burroughs' work. These interviews are unique in that they are less 'personality' focused than the others, and conducted by people who are thoroughly well-read in -- and conversant with -- their subject. Why these interviews were not included in the otherwise thorough "Burroughs Live" is genuinely odd.

A third piece, written by Lynn Snowden for Esquire, is more personality-driven and features David Cronenberg as well as Burroughs... Perhaps even more of Cronenberg than Burroughs. It is a less reverential piece, however, and a quite refreshing perspective after reading a great many interviewers fawning all over Burroughs.