Mark Ronson

Woebot

wow this guy is so WRONG

his latest 80s pastiche thing is possibly the worst-looking record i have ever seen. takes everything bad about that era and enshrines it. say what you like - heaven 17 are terrible drek.

i caught a snippet of it on tv (somehow) they were playing on some tv show, and i swear i nearly vomited.

so proud to be producing duran duran's new album. the face of noughties shoreditch grows up and reveals its true inherent ugliness.

gumdrops

his new 80s shtick is terrible. much preferred him when he was doing empty 60s soul style muzak.

dont think hes ever been shoreditch though.

JWoulf

No need to bad mouth Heaven 17. Nor Duran Duran for that matter, what paradise we would be in if pop was still that well made. Ronson however has never impressed me much.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
yeah, he managed to get d'angelo into the studio and somehow made him sound bad.

unforgivable.

but yeah, couldn't help but tap my toes to bang bang bang :confused:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What do people think of Hurts?

It was only a matter of time before one of those Slimelight bands got in the charts. I hate the way they sound in Britain, but it was all over the radio in Italy recently and sounded good there, kinda like it was where it was meant to be.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I have a real soft spot for ridiculous power ballads, but didn't think the Hurts album was any good. As with heaps of this kind of necro/retro stuff, it sounds like they're so caught up in trying to achieve some sound that maybe they forgot to bust out some first rate songs.

Fundamental, what's the connection with Ronson? Just the 80s revivalism?

I don’t know anything about Hurts beyond the album cover and the music, do they position themselves as something more gothy/edgy than, say, the R&B artists who have been doing similarly overblown ballads in recent times?

Maybe Hurts are hitting a slightly different spot than those big 80s sounding slow jams, maybe something like the Mode circa Black Celebration? Although I guess similar enough to the most pompy Pet Shop Boys hits like Heart and It’s A Sin - just the baritone vox make it easy to think of Depeche Mode...

Last edited:

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
bang bang bang is awful. and anyone who's heard other stuff by the dapkings KNOWS that ronson wasn't the source of the vibe and authenticity of that winehouse album...

heard something by hurts the other day that i quite liked, reminded me a bit of this. probably not as good tho.

"so you... you just stand there.. you just stand there.... STAAAND THEEEEERE"

mms

sometimes
bang bang bang is awful. and anyone who's heard other stuff by the dapkings KNOWS that ronson wasn't the source of the vibe and authenticity of that winehouse album...

heard something by hurts the other day that i quite liked, reminded me a bit of this. probably not as good tho.

"so you... you just stand there.. you just stand there.... STAAAND THEEEEERE"

thats very funny
i remember ages ago when he first came out and he made a very bad album with loads of classic nyc rappers

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

quite catchy but not good per-se - the haircut etc is hilarious, he looks out of place, very clean and posh, that shit he's got shaved in the back of his hair is an embarrassment.

Last edited:

gumdrops

he is a very nice, personable, affable kinda guy though. which is prob how he got where he is.

for some reason i like the money/cash in my pocket song he did with wiley.

gumdrops

well that and being rich, well connected, etc etc. but at least hes nice and well connected. rather than an arsehole and well connected.

mms

sometimes
well that and being rich, well connected, etc etc. but at least hes nice and well connected. rather than an arsehole and well connected.

yes he really does come across as being well mannered and pleasant, there are many other better producers that don't have what he has that don't get the exposure though sadly.

Last edited: