PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in London?

mind_philip
24-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I have to move to London in a few weeks (eek) with a new job, and know virtually nothing about which part of the city to live in. As there are so many londoners here I thought I'd ask for suggestions of zone 2 areas of london where 1 bedroom flat rentals are about 600-650 a month, and which are pretty 'quiet'. Any help would be massively appreciated!

owen
29-03-2005, 04:39 PM
heheh southampton is my home town as it happens, so congratulations on getting out! first place i moved to in london was new cross, which could hardly be described as 'quiet'...

it kind of depends where the job is really. zone 2 and quiet, cheap and nice is a toughie- brockley, honor oak and east dulwich is sort of like this, though is in the south east which could be on mars as far as many londoners are concerned....as for north of the river, bits of bethnal green are quietish....good luck anyway.

3underscore
29-03-2005, 06:05 PM
My first thought, as someone who is currently working in London, living out in Kent (but looking to move in) - 600-650 a month I would be more leaning towards getting a flatshare rather than a one bedroom flat.

Interesting to see what other folks say. For me, 95% of my decision will be based around the ease for which I can get to and from work, and what is about me. I am currently toying with Angel (though that is on the Northern, which counts against it) and Swiss Cottage. Mind, next week I will probably completely change my mind.

Backjob
30-03-2005, 02:52 AM
When me and my mate moved to London from Edinburgh I went to East London and he went to South London. I lived in Limehouse, Bethnal Green and Hackney; he lived in Brixton, Herne Hill and Camberwell. He definitely made the better choice - from South London you hop on an overland train and you're at work in 15 minutes. From East London you get on a bus and get there in an hour, if you're lucky. The rents in the South are way cheaper and it's not significantly more crimey (also has better takeaway food and drug dealers). You've also got nice parks and walks and stuff. The cheapest decent 1 bed I could find was near Well St. in Hackney and was 670UKP per month (rents will have gone up since then) so I definitely reckon for 600-650 you should give up on that idea.

I reckon Camberwell has to be the new ripe-for-gentrification spot.

mind_philip
30-03-2005, 03:30 AM
I guess 'decent' is the important word there backjob, something I can't really figure out until I get there. I have heard rumours in the last month or so that the buy to let market is really over-subscribed, probably because of Sarah Beeney. The north/south issue is a big one, as I've never lived in London. My job is right next to T.C. Road tube station, so I'd just like to be able to get there without it taking a ridiculous amount of time in the mornings.
What's the difference in price between coming from zone 3 and coming from zone 2?
Haha I am so fucking clueless about London.
Def. don't want to flat share though, had enough of sharing my space with other people.
Bonus points for correctly interpreting 'quiet' as 'not crimey' though :)

Backjob
30-03-2005, 05:02 AM
'Decent' means victorian fireplace, own garden, aga stove - just the essentials, you know?

martin
30-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Decent 1 bed flat for 650 pcm, ha ha ha ha.......

Try Burnt Oak, it's Zone 4

mind_philip
30-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Martin... exactly why I was questioning the definition of 'decent'...

Grievous Angel
30-03-2005, 02:54 PM
You're looking at flatshares in Angel for that sort of money.

http://www.loot.com/rs6/cl.asp?action=srslt&prc=11016&c1=11016&ctn=Rent+SE+England&mxp=700&mnp=&do=&trd=0&iss=lon&isn=London+only&kyd=&kyp=&total=4826&aty=40&ow=1&pn=11&ps=15&ord=&pcn=presearch%5Cc11016%5Cprc11016%5Cow1%5Cmxp700%5 Cmnp%5Cisslon%5Cdo%5Ctrd0%5Ckyd.xml&cc=&psc_dis=&xpr=0&xp1=0&xp2=0&xp3=0&xp4=0&ad_id=&ss=-1&sms=0

mind_philip
30-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok changed my mind, I don't care which fucking zone its in, and I've got 700 a month. Is there nowhere in London within 40 minutes of TC Road where this isn't a laughable prospect?

martin
30-03-2005, 05:07 PM
It's very hard to answer, sure there are opportunities for good deals but they're not publicised. OK, I saw a one-bed place in West Hendon, very small, 650 a month, communal swimming pool etc - you'll have to be bussing it or using Thameslink though. And what's the point of a swimming pool (which is probably shit) if you hate the area and feel isolated?

Most places can access TCR in 40 mins, unless yr really out in the sticks - it'll be easier to give you areas to avoid - Angel, Old St, Bethnal Green, Islington. Believe me, if these were available at this price, I'd be living in them now. Also, do you really wanna pay 700 and have a restricted social life? You'd be better off getting a mortgage.

NW London has some cheaper deals around Harlesden, etc, but you'll be living in a bit of a dodgy area, sorry I have to shoot off now, but I'll tell you more tomorrow

3underscore
30-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Probably not - London is expensive. Look up North on the Northern Line. Might be some stuff up there, but you are talking zone 3/4. You would be able to get in on tube time 40 mins - but you have to consider the walk to the station, frequency of trains, etc etc

You would have to look out North-away, West-away, cos from anywhere a little South you are seriously going to have to arse about to get to TCR.

Alternatively, and I really think it is wiser, give up on the "personal space" problems and be done with renting with a few people. Or cash up to 1000 and you'll start talking, really.

mind_philip
30-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I need a flat rather than a room somewhere as my girlfriend will be living with me from May onwards.
What is Finchley like? Seems to be decent for transport, and www.findaproperty.co.uk shows quite a few places at around 700 a month...

Backjob
31-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Finchley was Margaret Thatcher's constituency.

It's petit-bourgeois and dull, but crime free and has a reasonable amount of greenery. Large tracts of it are miles away from public transport.

I reckon Camberwell or Clapham are your best bets. Fast overland trains to Kings Cross, which is then just a short hop away from TCR on the northern line or the bus (or you could even walk).

3underscore
31-03-2005, 02:01 PM
You'd do well to find anywhere within budget in Clapham nowadays - full of city types. Rumour has it you need to show a girl your CV in pubs in Clapham to get a date...

mind_philip
01-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I went to Highgate today and liked it, and didn't get laughed out of the letting agencies when I mentioned a budget of 700 a month...

k-punk
01-04-2005, 09:47 AM
This is one of the most ludicrous threads yet to appear on Dissensus...

'No, mate.. you'll need a grand....'

Totally ridiculous scaremongering... I lived on my own in London/ Bromley for the past four years and never even paid 600 quid, never mind more.... I know a number of people who live here on their own, none of whom pay anything like 700 pounds. Jesus, if I had to pay 650 to FLATSHARE, I'd kill somebody, that's crazy...

simon silverdollar
01-04-2005, 10:13 AM
i'd recommend streatham. good transport links into the centre, and it's quiet like clapham but a bit more normal.

3underscore
01-04-2005, 11:19 AM
This is one of the most ludicrous threads yet to appear on Dissensus...

'No, mate.. you'll need a grand....'

Totally ridiculous scaremongering... I lived on my own in London/ Bromley for the past four years and never even paid 600 quid, never mind more....

The point wasn't as such that you would need 1000 k-punk, but thanks for the misquoting. I am sure you can live anywhere in London for any amount of money. The idea of looking for a flat on your own with a low budget is more you find out where your budget puts you. If you name a figure circa 1k, then you can start to name areas that you can live in. I find it works easier in that sense.

Mind, I am someone who isn't keen on spending all my time travelling as I spend enough time at work. Pick where to live and find out the cost. Each to their own.

Rambler
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I haven't got a clue what prices are like for renting single flats since I've never done it, but if you can find things in Highgate for a price you're happy with, then you've probably got a pick of anywhere nice (that isn't populated by trustafarians inflating things a la Islington). Plus, Highgate has an extremely favourable ratio of good pubs compared to Islington: 1/4 vs 0/millions. That stretch coming down the hill between Highgate and Archway, round where the cemetery is, has lots of flats, and if you walk downhill to Archway for your morning tube, it's zone 2 (uphill to Highgate is zone 3).

One tip to save rental costs is to look at areas that don't have a tube on their doorstep. In my experience this can chop quite a bit off the monthly rent for the price of learning a bus number or two, or braving natural light on a train. Places like Muswell Hill, Crouch End, Hackney, Blackheath, do quite well by this I reckon. If you're on time for your train you can get from Blackheath to Charing Cross in about 15 minutes, then just two stops by tube to TCR.

mind_philip
01-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the various pieces of advice... I like both highgate and east finchley, with the latter seeming to be more flush with properties at the moment. Fucking hell though, before I thought about moving there I knew London was expensive, but I had no idea quite how ridiculous it had become... 700 a month gets you a brand new Waterfront apartment in Southampton.

k-punk
01-04-2005, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=3underscoreIf you name a figure circa 1k, then you can start to name areas that you can live in. I find it works easier in that sense. [/QUOTE]

I simply don't know ANY area of London where you couldn't get something for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Specific streets/ blocks within those areas, you might be locked out of. But 700 quid remains a high rent, even within London. Let's keep some perspective.

Omaar
02-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey, just arrived in London Monday - anyone have any further advice on this topic?

any tips on hunting mind_philip?

I think I'd prefer to find a bedsit or a studio; have lived in brixton before and quite liked it there but not sure where it's at there at the moment - last time i was there it was undergoing a bit of gentrification.

Think i'd prefer South.

bassnation
02-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I simply don't know ANY area of London where you couldn't get something for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Specific streets/ blocks within those areas, you might be locked out of. But 700 quid remains a high rent, even within London. Let's keep some perspective.

is this really true? last time i was renting in london (about seven or eight years ago before the housing market went nuts) i had difficulty finding somewhere, even a shit ugly flat with crackhouses next door and a row of tramps drinking cider greeting me every morning as i left the house, for less than 750.

surely things can't have got cheaper and better quality? london doesn't work like that.

maybe you've got good connections mark or maybe its because i couldn't be arsed to get up at five to scan loot every morning.

luka
02-11-2005, 11:21 AM
forest gate
no tube station but thats where i'd go.

Inca March
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
move to leafy s london, get the train into charing x - change at london bridge if there's no direct link...

barter with the estate agent - true - it works, offer em 100 less per month and they'll knock off 50, they can't be bothered turning up again and again to show more people around...

inca - currently livin in a two bed flat, nice block, balcony overlookin peckham rye - 675pcm ahahahahahahaha

owen
02-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Think i'd prefer South.

I would recommend SE8 and (sorta) SE14 and SE4 as a good bet- cheap, lots of stuff going on, easy to get to the centre by overground, not quite as cuntish as east london (yet) tho there is a large contingent of talkers-to-self and special brew wielders (but that's pretty universal). i pay around 300 per month (if not altogether punctually) for one large room with shared kitchen and whatnot...

Rambler
02-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Bartering is the thing. Friends tell me it's a buyer's (renters?) market for rental places in London at the moment - places are getting hard to shift since the buy-to-let boom, so barter away, for cheaper rent, furnishings, bills, whatever.

baboon2004
02-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I live in Brixton, and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be in London. On Victoria Line (best tube line in London), buses to everywhere, leafy and suburban if you choose the right area, own shopping centre (cheap clothes too), good restaurants, bars are a'ite....

Haven't ahd any trouble since I've been there (housemates have, but nothing too serious), and don't find it anywhere near as threatening as somewhere like Hackney.

baboon2004
02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Would never rent my own place in London, but I'm sharing with 4 otheres and paying 350 per month for a room in a huge house. Bargain.

mind_philip
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I live in N8 and pay 780 a month for a big one-bed flat. I can't really offer much advice about S London, as I never looked there...

Herne Hill is nice though, if Brixton is a bit too earthy for you, and has a fast service to Victoria...

Though I have to say, in what world is the Victoria line anything other than the hellish location of some of the worst travelling experiences in my life??? It's crowded, hotter than any other line I can think of, and manages to serve both Finsbury Park and Brixton...

HMGovt
02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Though I have to say, in what world is the Victoria line anything other than the hellish location of some of the worst travelling experiences in my life??? It's crowded, hotter than any other line I can think of, and manages to serve both Finsbury Park and Brixton...

Have they fixed the screeching as it tackles the long bend north of Brixton yet? Only the Bakerloo line is more unpleasant (I find the Bakerloo much hotter and seedier than the rest of the network). Metropolitan line is the best because the carriages are so much bigger.

baboon2004
02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeh, the Victoria Line is absolutely hellish - takes you from S london to N London in a quicker time than any other, and generally stops at the most convenient locations. If you're put off bby mild screeching, you might be best to live somewhere else entirely. Jesus.

As for being more crowded, bollocks. Northern Line is much, much worse. And I've lived in Lodnon for several years and never taken the Metropolitan Line - to most people it's largely irrelevant, given its limited scope...

baboon2004
02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Ah, I see you're in Cambridge. Explains a lot of things, such as the notional grasp of reality.

Melmoth
02-11-2005, 11:36 PM
If you want to be in striking distance of the centre then inner(ish) south east London is cheaper: elephant, walworth, bermondsey, camberwell, peckham, new cross, deptford. Always worth doing a sweep of newsagent window ads in these areas rather than Loot if you have time and energy.

None of them are particularly pretty, but they all have their idiosyncratic charms (says expansively, then slugs from bottle of Buckfast).

baboon2004
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Lol....

He's right, y'know. Peckham is definitely 'up and coming'. Which may or may not be a good thing.

run_time
03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
another thing worth considering is whether your prepared to cycle in to work. Doing this opens up a whole lot of areas which are only serviced by bus (long journey time) and some of these areas are less over run or cheaper because they're not on the tube map. That said, not everyone is up for cycling in the middle of winter

HMGovt
03-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Ah, I see you're in Cambridge. Explains a lot of things, such as the notional grasp of reality.

You're pathologically defensive about your poxy tube line aren't you? Get out and get some fresh air some time, son.

3underscore
03-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeh, the Victoria Line is absolutely hellish - takes you from S london to N London in a quicker time than any other, and generally stops at the most convenient locations. If you're put off bby mild screeching, you might be best to live somewhere else entirely. Jesus.

As for being more crowded, bollocks. Northern Line is much, much worse. And I've lived in Lodnon for several years and never taken the Metropolitan Line - to most people it's largely irrelevant, given its limited scope...

The problem for me is that the Victoria line goes everywhere North of the River I would never need to go.

The Northern Line is busy? Well, it goes through Tottenham Court Road, Bank, London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo - A few people work in those places, so it really is hardly surprising. I mean to say that a tube line always will be busier the more convenient - sensible logic. Personally, I always try to get the overland - all about your preferences.

I wish kpunk were about right now to find me a flat to rent as I have to move, and it is proving a nightmare. Problem is my requirement of locality is on several things, so I can only live some areas. Also, house share visits can be such a pain.

baboon2004
03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
You're pathologically defensive about your poxy tube line aren't you? Get out and get some fresh air some time, son.

Temper, temper. Probably best that you don't live in London given your high degree of sensitivity.

baboon2004
03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
The problem for me is that the Victoria line goes everywhere North of the River I would never need to go.

The Northern Line is busy? Well, it goes through Tottenham Court Road, Bank, London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo - A few people work in those places, so it really is hardly surprising. I mean to say that a tube line always will be busier the more convenient - sensible logic. Personally, I always try to get the overland - all about your preferences.

I wish kpunk were about right now to find me a flat to rent as I have to move, and it is proving a nightmare. Problem is my requirement of locality is on several things, so I can only live some areas. Also, house share visits can be such a pain.

Fair enough.

Re Northern Line - completely agree. I was simply trying to make the same point to those who complained (ridiculously) about the Victoria line being 'hellish'. If that's their idea of hell, then....

Best houseshare option is moveflat.com. Lets you know a lot about the people you'd be moving in with, saving valuable time and stress. If you're prepared to live with others, then that's yer best bet, imo.

owen
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
nothing beats the sheer terror (and alarming regularity) of being on a district/hammersmith & city line train and it inexpilcably either a) suddenly stopping or b) the lights going out. or both.

i think the northern line's ok, really...never quite understood the bad press

bassnation
03-11-2005, 11:26 AM
i think the northern line's ok, really...never quite understood the bad press

i catch it every day - most of the time its ok, but i've seen some near punch-ups in bank recently because they don't stop the bloody train long enough for people to get in and out. as soon as it pulls in there i can feel my blood pressure rising. but 90% of the time its ok.

stelfox
03-11-2005, 12:20 PM
i live in hackney, on a good bus/overland train route in a 2 bed place less than 10 foosteps from the river and the lea valley walk for 700.

captain easychord
04-11-2005, 09:41 AM
i live in hackney, on a good bus/overland train route in a 2 bed place less than 10 foosteps from the river and the lea valley walk for 700.

considering moving to hackney in the spring, my gf works on mare street so it'd be nice and close for her. what's the vibe like?

Omaar
09-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Anyone live in Peckham? What's it like?

owen
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
i lived in peckham for a year in 2000-1. it's on the apocalyptic side, really. small boys being knifed, huge piles of festering rubbish, vast and terrifying estates, hundreds of 1 shops, that sort of thing.

nice library tho.

Melmoth
13-12-2005, 09:28 AM
i lived in peckham for a year in 2000-1. it's on the apocalyptic side, really. small boys being knifed, huge piles of festering rubbish, vast and terrifying estates, hundreds of 1 shops, that sort of thing.

nice library tho.

Well this is a bit glib. I lived in in Peckham for years and am thinking of moving back. Parts of it are really nice, though stay south of Queens Road. Some of the streets off Peckham Rye, the park that is, are lovely, and around Bellenden Road its completely gentrified. There are some nice restaurants too and the market is dead good.

Omaar
27-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I've been living in peckham for the last 6 months now, and generally have been really liking it. someone was murdered at my bus stop a few monthst ago though.

melmoth: Which market were you were refering to the farmers' market? that is quite good, as is the Library. the south west corner towards east dulwich is thoroughly gentrified now.

There's a lot of good carribean and african food to be had there too.

Anyway, I've had to move out now, and am looking for somewhere new to live. Any more recommendations?

Also, if anyone knows of anyone who needs a flatmate, please PM me!

baboon2004
27-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Anyone got any opinions on Dalston?

IdleRich
27-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I live in Dalston/Hackney. Personally I really like it. For better or worse (better I think) it's become greatly gentrified recently - an organic health food shop on Dalston lane for example - which I guess is inevitable due to it's positioning which leads to overspill from Stoke Newington, Angel and Old Street. Hackney in particular towards Bethnal Green has lots of green spaces and I think it's lovely in summer. Also, loads of good food places, both take-away and eat-in, within a short distance.
On the downside, my friend got mugged on Kingsland Road and I've had two attempted break-ins since I lived here but nothing for a couple of years now (fingers crossed). I guess that's the same anywhere really. Still not on the tube, but I prefer going on the bus anyway so who cares?

John Doe
27-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I live in Dalston/Hackney. Personally I really like it. For better or worse (better I think) it's become greatly gentrified recently - an organic health food shop on Dalston lane for example - which I guess is inevitable due to it's positioning which leads to overspill from Stoke Newington, Angel and Old Street. Hackney in particular towards Bethnal Green has lots of green spaces and I think it's lovely in summer. Also, loads of good food places, both take-away and eat-in, within a short distance.
On the downside, my friend got mugged on Kingsland Road and I've had two attempted break-ins since I lived here but nothing for a couple of years now (fingers crossed). I guess that's the same anywhere really. Still not on the tube, but I prefer going on the bus anyway so who cares?

Gentrification's a mixed blessing. I used to work around Exmouth Market in Clerkenwell about 8 years back and I had this weird experience of seeing the place get gentrified, week by week, before my very eyes. One by one the old shops closed to replaced by galleries selling hand crafted jewellery, smart bars, designer clothes shops, delis etc. While it was great it I fanced an organic tofu bake for lunch, it also lost much of its personality. I must be getting old because I can remeber Notting Hill before it became the nightmare it is today - and it's a shame really when the rough edges get polished off to be replaced by bland, polite (but 'safe') outposts for the urban middle class.

IdleRich
27-06-2006, 03:25 PM
"Gentrification's a mixed blessing"
Of course, that was what I meant by saying "for better or worse". Personally, in Hackney so far I think that the good outweighs the bad but I'm well aware that that balance could change and that other people may very well think differently. You wouldn't exactly have to be a radical to disagree with some of what has happened at Broadway Market or think that there are too many luxury flats being built, nor to feel slightly uncomfortable about the way pubs such as the Spurstowe Arms have shut down and then re-opened with pints costing a pound more than they used to and a very different clientele being courted.

John Doe
27-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Of course, that was what I meant by saying "for better or worse". Personally, in Hackney so far I think that the good outweighs the bad but I'm well aware that that balance could change and that other people may very well think differently. You wouldn't exactly have to be a radical to disagree with some of what has happened at Broadway Market or think that there are too many luxury flats being built, nor to feel slightly uncomfortable about the way pubs such as the Spurstowe Arms have shut down and then re-opened with pints costing a pound more than they used to and a very different clientele being courted.

Yeah, know what you mean. I used to think 'gastro-pubs' were a Good Thing. I now realize I was deluded beyond belief and that they are in fact an epidemic infecting the social body of London. Sure, you can enjoy a good glass of pinot with your pot roast pigeon (or whatever) but what's happened to the days when you could get a bag a chips from the next door chippy and sit inside and watch Gaelic football of a Sat afternoon whilst sipping a sticky pint of warm lager...

No seriously, they used to be quite good, but as you say now every second rate boozer seems to be closing, ripping out its sticky carpet, polishing the floorboards, and charging over 3 for a pint of pissy lager. IT MUST STOP!

bassnation
27-06-2006, 07:27 PM
you say now every second rate boozer seems to be closing, ripping out its sticky carpet, polishing the floorboards, and charging over 3 for a pint of pissy lager. IT MUST STOP!

apparently elephant is next on the gentrification list, although having worked there for many years, i have difficulty visualising such a scenario. having said that, if its going on hackney i suppose anythings possible.

the one thing i don't understand about this process is where people go who can no longer afford to live there. when you think about it, its shit really but you can't stop the movement of people, rich or poor.

mistersloane
27-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I highyl recommend Kilburn. It's relatively cheap, zone two, anonymous and not much happens, except for drinking in pubs that haven't been gentrified yet. Fab.

boomnoise
27-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Gentrification. Say it a couple of times; it sounds nice.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the best areas for renting spacious 4 bed places up to 1700 a month.

sufi
29-06-2006, 12:07 AM
me & rewch moved to dalston=gentrified :(

mms
29-06-2006, 07:42 AM
finsbury park is good, it's on the cusp of being gentrified but has never quite got there, the one or two wine bars don't quite work and the popular places are the pizza restaurants and cafs.
its not like stoke newington that got gentrified in parts enormously quickly. Saying that the council tax is incredibly high here, but they do seem to be putting work into stuff like the tube, parks ,there is a new library and there is some kinda bike lock up, so its stuff you can see happening.

john eden
29-06-2006, 08:59 AM
me & rewch moved to dalston=gentrified :(

You local now? Coming to BASH?

sufi
02-07-2006, 08:57 PM
You local now? Coming to BASH?
yeah yeah yeah
damn

baboon2004
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
If I want to live somewhere that is no more than 20/25 minutes by public transport from Canning Town, where should I live?

PS This is not a riddle.

faustus
15-07-2012, 09:21 PM
my girlfriend and my mate's girlfriend have just got jobs teaching in NW and SW respectively, meaning we're looking at sharing a flat somewhere in west london - which is an area i know fuck all about

any comments on the following areas?

harlesden
willesden junction (not green)
acton

or anywhere else around that area. nowhere too expensive/ posh.

baboon2004
15-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I lived in Acton for a while, think it's unfairly maligned. Not the most exciting place in the world and I felt less like I was living in London than I did when living in north or south, but I liked it just fine, used to go to Ealing a fair bit.

NW London has a similar 'not quite in London' vibe to me too. Not that that's a negative thing necessarily. More spacious on the good side, more suburban on the (possibly) bad. Visited some nice areas near Willesden Green recently (my g/f grew up there, a nostalgia trip), not posh exactly, but possibly expensive to rent somewhere from the look of the houses - couldn't be sure.

faustus
16-07-2012, 06:08 PM
thanks baboon

i'm a little sceptical of acton and willesden green and the NW in general cos, as you said, it all seems quite suburban. But then I'm not exactly sure why this would be a problem - I don't go out much, don't care about there being any particular scene.

But I really don't want an area with no shops but supermarkets. Lots of the 'guide to area X' pages say stuff like "easy access to Tesco and Lidl" - as a positive.

baboon2004
16-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Pretty sure there were lots of shops in Acton, lots of Middle Eastern/Iranian ones in West Ealing for sure, and we lived next to a proper Japanese supermarket (there's a Japanese school nearby as i recall). kilburn high road and cricklewood are full of shops too, NW-wise.

baboon2004
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
barter with the estate agent - true - it works, offer em 100 less per month and they'll knock off 50, they can't be bothered turning up again and again to show more people around...

from 2005 - does anyone else have experience of this? sounds like it might be worth a go, at least, though I'm sceptical it'd work....

Has anyone ever lived in the area north-west of Turnpike Lane - Alex Palace, Bounds Green etc?

Local Authority
31-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Ealing and Acton are a world of their world.

comelately
01-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Ealing is definitely a suburb, Acton is borderline but still a lot more Inner London than Ealing. You can get buses into Central London in Acton, you definitely don't get those in Ealing. Acton has London Overground too.

Ealing has posh food, but Acton definitely better ethnic food. Westfield has kind of messed Ealing up, whereas Acton was already messy and proud of it.

baboon2004
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
West Ealing has great Iranian food. I quite liked living in Acton - west London is way out, but transport links to central are fine, as said

shiels
07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I've just got maself a job, working beside Holborn station but have been looking into Brixton for flatsharing.. anyone here lived there? any info appreciated

luka
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
baboon should obviously live stratford/forest gate/leytonstone/ plaistow/west ham is cheaper but not as fun. bow is more expensive and not as fun.

Mr. Tea
08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Bow was cheap when I was living there, but I think we had a pretty good deal on that house.

Why Bow should be an expensive area to live is a complete mystery to me, but you could say that about a lot of parts of London.

baboon2004
08-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I've just got maself a job, working beside Holborn station but have been looking into Brixton for flatsharing.. anyone here lived there? any info appreciated

Not sure it's a great idea... the place is not what it used to be, and seems poised to be the new clapham. i moved out of there two years ago, and I think I got the timing right (by accident, albeit). I hear prices have gone up too, whereas there used to be v cheap (by London standards) flatshares

Luka - i'm confused - you mean for the quality of the food, or in reference to an earlier comment?

Bangpuss
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Tottenham has a lot of warehouses that haven't yet been colonised by the folks who set up live/work studios and all that yarbles in Hackney Wick. Not that I've ever lived there myself, but it seems to be pretty vibing whenever I've been there.

Patrick Swayze
08-07-2013, 04:48 PM
London's shit, all the organised crime is done by corporations. Live in Manchester.

luka
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
If I want to live somewhere that is no more than 20/25 minutes by public transport from Canning Town, where should I live?

in response to that

shiels
08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Not sure it's a great idea... the place is not what it used to be, and seems poised to be the new clapham. i moved out of there two years ago, and I think I got the timing right (by accident, albeit). I hear prices have gone up too, whereas there used to be v cheap (by London standards) flatshares

Luka - i'm confused - you mean for the quality of the food, or in reference to an earlier comment?

can you elaborate a bit baboon? i'm assuming you mean it's lost some of its community feel? things change so quickly it's hard to keep track. someone back there saying there's a good buzz about tottenham yet i've a mate from west belfast who scoffed at the idea of even going there. it can be confusing for someone who hasn't lived there before. Obviously i want somewhere accessible til late and cheap (around 400pm would be nice), good mix of people, a good range of cheap places to eat would be great and nice pubs..i'm not put off by "dodgy" areas. what about Stepney Green, Brockley, Forest Hill?

luka
08-07-2013, 08:19 PM
i was in tooting today. that's somewhere i felt i could live. was in balham too but that was very chichi. i have to move house soon so will be thinking about this stuff myself.

Slothrop
08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I'd be worried living anywhere within walking distance of Clapham. You might go there by mistake while drunk or something.

Leo
09-07-2013, 01:06 AM
the essence of every "where to live" discussion: everyone always thinks everywhere used to be better than it is now. :D

baboon2004
09-07-2013, 08:52 AM
can you elaborate a bit baboon? i'm assuming you mean it's lost some of its community feel? things change so quickly it's hard to keep track. someone back there saying there's a good buzz about tottenham yet i've a mate from west belfast who scoffed at the idea of even going there. it can be confusing for someone who hasn't lived there before. Obviously i want somewhere accessible til late and cheap (around 400pm would be nice), good mix of people, a good range of cheap places to eat would be great and nice pubs..i'm not put off by "dodgy" areas. what about Stepney Green, Brockley, Forest Hill?

While Leo is definitely right, then I think in Brixton's case it's getting pretty undeniable. Obviously Foxtons opening their first branch in a neighbourhood is a pretty massive clue as to what's happening, but even before I left two years back, it was becoming steadily gentrified (where gentrification to me means, at least in part, opening services that exclude through price and design large swathes of the community, rather than the good kind of modernisation that improves existing services/opens things up to more people).

Brixton used to be 400pm territory - couldn't say for sure but I very much doubt it now. As to Tottenham, don't be put off -first of all it's a pretty large and diverse place. I personally think Haringey around Green Lanes is a good area (and I think Mr Tea among others would back me up here) - going from your desiderata (is that the right word?), loads of cheap food, great pubs, genuine diversity (as in, unlike Brixton, different kinds of people to be found inside places, sharing space and not just on the street), good access to most places including central (it's on the Piccadilly line, goes straight to Holborn). I've never shared a house there, so not sure what costs there would be for that, but I think it would be reasonable.

@Luka - Tooting is really nice, but I'd never ever live on the northern line (if I needed to take the tube). Hellish in the morning.

Slothrop
09-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Harringay Green Lanes is a great area, although it tends towards friendly and respectable rather than buzzing and edgey. There are useful night buses for going out but you haven't got club nights on your doorstep like you would have in Brixton or Dalston or somewhere. I remember a lot of early morning schleps along City Road to get back to the 341 route.

Everything else about it is great, though.

baboon2004
09-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Equally, if you wanna go out in Dalston/anywhere along the A10, it's fairly easy to get to from there

Stamford Hill is actually quite nice too, thinking about that road.

john eden
09-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Would recommend the Urban 75 forums for Brixton info.

Still a Green Lanes / Stamford Hill loyalist myself.

But Tottenham/Walthamstow are cool too and cheaper.

benjybars
09-07-2013, 09:12 PM
why would you live anywhere apart from Haringey?

the only acceptable alternative is somewhere around Deptford.

Deptford High Street and Green Lanes are the only proper streets in London. fact.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Big up benjy, it's all about the 'gey pride.

sufi
10-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Has anyone ever lived in the area north-west of Turnpike Lane - Alex Palace, Bounds Green etc?I fled unreasonable rent in brixton C2006 (according to this thread!), then left a wake of suspiciously high leccy bills in ganja smelling dodgy sub-lets in Dalston a few years later towards ...

Sunny Palmers Green

beloved of staunchly suburban Stevey Smith (http://www.strange-attractor.co.uk/stesuburb.htm/) it's a good area, well far from anywhere, but with a villagey high street (masses of charity shops & few chains), accessible allotments & decrepit green spaces
http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/7-528x352.jpg (http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/04/17/%E2%80%98shit-london%E2%80%99-photo-of-the-day-strange-bedfellows-palmers-green/)unaware of it's own ironies,
& of course green lanes right through the middle, also New river and the tory mega-brutalism of North Circular, with it's IDP squatter settlements sheltering beneath.
surrounding areas are interesting too - north into pleasantly leafy greater enfield, southgate & so on, east towards edmonton, which is i reckon even more apocalyptic than peckham

shiels
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Appreciate this info everyone.

I saw that stuff about foxton's and read up on it on that urban75 forum, they do seem like greedy cunts. i'm still gonna try and line up a view viewings in brixton.

i stayed up around finsbury park, manor house area last week and i liked it. i'll check around green lanes too. everyone tells me their area is the best! rep your ends etc.

viktorvaughn
23-07-2013, 03:56 PM
My sister's in Walthamstow and loves it. Enough gentrification for decent coffee and a few places to eat, some nice pubs (The Broadies one is near by) but not loads of nobheads. Good transport links and hackney a 15 min cycle away for weekend pottering.

shiels
26-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Any views on N17 around Bruce grove Tottenham?

luka
26-07-2013, 07:39 PM
grim

Mr. Tea
26-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Great spot for riots, if that's your thing.

shiels
27-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Great spot for riots, if that's your thing.

The place im escaping has 3 days of recreational rioting every July just down the road, would make me feel at home I suppose

Fair enough warning heeded!

Mr. Tea
27-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Ah, I was just thinking "Lol, where do you live, Bel-...", and then looked at your location.

baboon2004
27-07-2013, 10:24 AM
what price range are you looking at Shiels? You might have said upthread but my bleary eyes this morning can't find it

benjybars
28-07-2013, 11:58 AM

yeah man tottenham high street is quality

bit dodgy at night maybe but just cycle everywhere and you'll be fine. probably.

i lost my virginity in N17 so will always have a special place in my heart..

sufi
28-07-2013, 06:14 PM
yeah i'd also say Bruce Grove is not so bad (edmonton is a lot worse in terms of hopeless deprivation and poverty. urban desolation etc)
it has a castle, and some nice old buildings, it's own strong identity, & isn't dominated by chain stores, quick trains to hackney and liverpool st for your hipster moments & easy access to green lanes on the w4 hail & rude country bus

benjybars
29-07-2013, 07:50 PM
ha yeh but that W4 bus requires some STRONG local knowledge of where to hail it from!

HMGovt
08-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Someone from Bruce Grove tried to rob me last night, out here in Groningen. He got up close, had phone in his hand in my pocket but I somehow managed to knock it out of his hand and catch it. Luckily, no knife or gun involved and my phone has no password and all my logins, so this was a close escape.

IdleRich
08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
How do you know he was from Bruce Grove?
Is that the only hail and ride bus in London? It seems like a thing from another time or place.

Local Authority
08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
get ahead of the curve and move to croydon

Leo
09-08-2013, 01:17 PM
tangentially related, thought it was sort of interesting...

How Many Gentrification Critics Are Actually Gentrifiers Themselves?

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2013/08/what-happens-when-critics-gentrification-are-gentrifiers-themselves/6468/

HMGovt
09-08-2013, 07:53 PM
How do you know he was from Bruce Grove?
Is that the only hail and ride bus in London? It seems like a thing from another time or place.

Bruce Grove was part of his pre-robbery pitch, the ice breaker, also being from London.

IdleRich
10-08-2013, 06:17 AM
"Bruce Grove was part of his pre-robbery pitch, the ice breaker, also being from London."
Sounds like the beginnings of a good story there. What's a pre-robbery pitch?

HMGovt
11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Sounds like the beginnings of a good story there. What's a pre-robbery pitch?

First off, Groningen is one of the nicest cities in Northern Europe - compact but busy, more bikes than people, not expensive, soft air and the cathedral bells playing what sounded like a Belgian ravecore medley on Thursday night, but may have just been Bach.

But Wednesday had been a hell of a day, really intense business stuff in Germany, followed by a long drive and torrential rain. So my brother and i found a suitable coffee shop and started a small blaze. I was keen to move on after a bit. This young fella gets up with us and follows us out, chatting shit along the way, checking we're from London, confirming he is "yeah mate, N17, Bruce Grove, Tottenham proper", tries to sell us something we're not interested in there and then, before getting up into personal space and rooting around in my jacket pocket. Nope. So I brought my elbow up sharp and whirled out of range, picking up my phone which I must have jogged out of his had onto the ground behind me. He fucked off pretty sharp after fronting for a few seconds and probably weighing up we're big enough to get the better of him even if he had a knife. He had followed my brother up from the coffee shop, so I reckon it was his iphone he was after rather than my blackberry, but he chose the luckier, hyper-vigilant brother.

benjybars
15-08-2013, 07:01 AM
First off, Groningen is one of the nicest cities in Northern Europe - compact but busy, more bikes than people, not expensive, soft air and the cathedral bells playing what sounded like a Belgian ravecore medley on Thursday night, but may have just been Bach.

But Wednesday had been a hell of a day, really intense business stuff in Germany, followed by a long drive and torrential rain. So my brother and i found a suitable coffee shop and started a small blaze. I was keen to move on after a bit. This young fella gets up with us and follows us out, chatting shit along the way, checking we're from London, confirming he is "yeah mate, N17, Bruce Grove, Tottenham proper", tries to sell us something we're not interested in there and then, before getting up into personal space and rooting around in my jacket pocket. Nope. So I brought my elbow up sharp and whirled out of range, picking up my phone which I must have jogged out of his had onto the ground behind me. He fucked off pretty sharp after fronting for a few seconds and probably weighing up we're big enough to get the better of him even if he had a knife. He had followed my brother up from the coffee shop, so I reckon it was his iphone he was after rather than my blackberry, but he chose the luckier, hyper-vigilant brother.

fuck man that's crazy.. like getting London-mugged but in northern europe.. glad you're ok

i remember being on my own outside charing cross station when i was about 13 (that sounds dodgier that it was meant to..) and this much older kid comes up to me and goes 'oi mate, where you from' and i said 'London' and then he said 'where abouts tho, which bit?' and i told him 'south east london, charlton' and then he proceeded to rob me for a fiver. i always wonder what area i could have said that would've let me off the mugging..

Alfons
25-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I'll be moving to Brockley in September. As I'll be working from home we basically went for a place close to my girlfriends school (which is the purpose of the move).

I found it surprisingly hard to find good information on what the neighborhoods are like online. Lots of link spam sites and generic discussion boards with housewife talk about good schools, but not much else. Asked some friends and went for average rents and crime rates basically. Off course I should have consulted Dissensus first...

Anyways, if anyone has Brockley tips, stories or information, would be much appreciated.

viktorvaughn
27-08-2013, 01:45 PM
I'll be moving to Brockley in September. As I'll be working from home we basically went for a place close to my girlfriends school (which is the purpose of the move).

I found it surprisingly hard to find good information on what the neighborhoods are like online. Lots of link spam sites and generic discussion boards with housewife talk about good schools, but not much else. Asked some friends and went for average rents and crime rates basically. Off course I should have consulted Dissensus first...

Anyways, if anyone has Brockley tips, stories or information, would be much appreciated.

Not really a tip but the one person I know who lived in Brockley really liked it.

Alfons
27-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Not really a tip but the one person I know who lived in Brockley really liked it.

Cool, good to hear that, helps the pre-move jitters. Man what a hassle moving is, London better be worth it (I'm pretty sure that it will be).

hucks
28-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Cool, good to hear that, helps the pre-move jitters. Man what a hassle moving is, London better be worth it (I'm pretty sure that it will be).

It's a quiet area. There's a lot of young middle class parents moving there from Hackney cos the houses are bigger/ cheaper and have gardens, but it's on the overground so uts well connected. There's not much to do but New Cross and Peckham are nearby.

mistersloane
28-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Brockley's really nice, my nephew lives there. Meze Mangal is quite a good ocakbsi place, not brilliant but yum, and there's a few nice patty shops, and New Cross is on fire at the moment in terms of pubs and fun nights out, it's the best place in London at the moment.

Alfons
29-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Cool, thanks for the info, sounds like it might be a good fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWwO9N_Q46M

Looking forward to do lots of loafin'

benw
23-09-2013, 10:59 AM
anyway got any tips for places to live in london where you can rent a 3 bed house / flat for 1500 pcm or less - my only real stipulation in terms of area is that it has to be about 1.5hr's from brighton via public transport - so anywhere where you can get one direct train to clapham junction, east croydon, victoria, london bridge would work. would rather avoid changing too many times or taking buses / tube if possible.

mistersloane
23-09-2013, 04:58 PM
anyway got any tips for places to live in london where you can rent a 3 bed house / flat for 1500 pcm or less - my only real stipulation in terms of area is that it has to be about 1.5hr's from brighton via public transport - so anywhere where you can get one direct train to clapham junction, east croydon, victoria, london bridge would work. would rather avoid changing too many times or taking buses / tube if possible.

surrey quays / canada water / rotherhithe (downtown) is still pretty cheap and houses/big flats are around - just did a quick check for you :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Rotherhithe.html?sortType=1&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=3

mistersloane
24-09-2013, 11:21 AM
oh and Alfons if you did move to Brockley there's a record shop/cafe place called Vinyl which you should check out :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinyl/1384791638413451

benw
24-09-2013, 04:07 PM
surrey quays / canada water / rotherhithe (downtown) is still pretty cheap and houses/big flats are around - just did a quick check for you :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Rotherhithe.html?sortType=1&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=3

thanks sloane having a look now

benw
28-10-2013, 11:10 PM
looks like we might have found somewhere in sydenham/forest hill in the end - if the offer goes thru.... whats good around these bits? bars, shops, pubs etc?

luka
29-10-2013, 09:01 AM
the missus works at goldsmiths now so i might well move to new cross.

benw
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM
looks like we might have found somewhere in sydenham/forest hill in the end - if the offer goes thru.... whats good around these bits? bars, shops, pubs etc?

no one?

place is just in between crystal palace park and sydenham wells park so nearby stations are sydenham, sydenham hill, pengem eaast/west, anerley and gipsy hill. so suggestions near any of those would be appreciated!

mistersloane
04-11-2013, 09:30 PM
no one?

place is just in between crystal palace park and sydenham wells park so nearby stations are sydenham, sydenham hill, pengem eaast/west, anerley and gipsy hill. so suggestions near any of those would be appreciated!

I grew up just off Gipsy Hill but couldn't tell you much about any of those areas now. Crystal Palace has a good antiques/second hand indoor market if you're into vintage stuff, but I don't go round any of those places no more, they're nice still tho. Crystal Palace park is the best park in London bar Hampstead Heath.

Oh, if you're walking up Gypsy Hill and you get to Crystal Palace, on the right there's a good Chinese, can't remember the name. Sorry!

benw
04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I grew up just off Gipsy Hill but couldn't tell you much about any of those areas now. Crystal Palace has a good antiques/second hand indoor market if you're into vintage stuff, but I don't go round any of those places no more, they're nice still tho. Crystal Palace park is the best park in London bar Hampstead Heath.

Oh, if you're walking up Gypsy Hill and you get to Crystal Palace, on the right there's a good Chinese, can't remember the name. Sorry!

thanks mate - not a massive vintage fan (bar vinyl) but that might be worth checking out anyway. yeah crystal palace park is 2 mins away so thats a winner!

can imagine we'll spend a fair bit of time in forest hill / peckham anyway. just wondering really what the immediate area is like.