Darkstar - 'Gold' (Official Video)

Benny Bunter

Totally underwhelmed...

If Darkstar didn;t have the previous dubstep/hyperdub connection then no one here would really give a fuck about them would they?

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
absolutely love the original, one of my dad's favourites, he croaks it at my mum when he's pissed...

BareBones

wheezy
Totally underwhelmed...

If Darkstar didn;t have the previous dubstep/hyperdub connection then no one here would really give a fuck about them would they?

i felt the same at first but the more i hear their new stuff the more it grows on me. that two chords tune is really good.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Darkstar's new stuff has inspired me to dig out 'So This Is Goodbye' by Junior Boys from a few years ago

:)

Benny Bunter

What about those Dissensus posters who don't like dubstep?

I don't know, what about em? I don't really like dubstep much anymore either ;)

Putting value judgements aside...

Obviously I was generalising here, but I just doubt this new stuff would have recieved much attention from someone like Blackdown for instance were it not for Hyperdub and the 'Need you' single, cos its outside of his usual remit (nothing wrong with this of course, I'm just sayin'). I suppose you could argue that this is positive, introducing people to new sounds outside their usual listening territory. But I still think that if they'd come out with this sound from the off then they wouldn't be garnering all the attention they're getting. They're quite lucky really as its giving them a platform they probably wouldn't have had otherwise, and this is probably the sort of stuff they've wanted to do all along.

I'll wait until I hear the album before I say more, but I definitely prefer the Need You sound to this new single anyway. Maybe its because I love the Human League so much, and this version definitely pales in comparison if you ask me.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'll wait until I hear the album before I say more, but I definitely prefer the Need You sound to this new single anyway. Maybe its because I love the Human League so much, and this version definitely pales in comparison if you ask me.

Yeah, this remake is a little lame. Vocals and synth lines are way better in the original...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Obviously I was generalising here, but I just doubt this new stuff would have recieved much attention from someone like Blackdown for instance were it not for Hyperdub and the 'Need you' single, cos its outside of his usual remit (nothing wrong with this of course, I'm just sayin').

Yeah totally fair enough. Was just reacting to the idea that "no one here would give a fuck"... cos there certainly seem to be some regular posters in this forum who would be more likely to pick up on a Human League cover band or some moody electronica or whatever ahead of a dubstep record.

I don't like this track much either, btw. I like the video.

I'd also say this Human League cover is a lot better than the Dam-Funk Human League cover I heard yesterday. It's a legal free download somewhere, I think NME are hosting it actually. :p

grizzleb

I like the track but I don't like the way the chorus works. I'd prefer if it went HIGH, LOWER, HIGH, LOWER rather than HIGH, HIGH, LOWER, LOWER. I dunno if that makes any sense but I can't explain it any other way.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Heh, here's that Dam-Funk cover I was talking about. I quite liked Dam-Funk when I first heard his stuff, but the novelty has seriously worn off.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i like gold but the video is bland, i'm sure there's some clever tech things going on but it's still kinda dull to look at. at first i was underwhelmed by the song too cos i liked how randy the orig was, but on a couple of listens i did get to like this version. i think the vocal processing saves it cos the synths and general production are nice but not that interesting. it has quite a seductive mood though.

CrowleyHead

I do think the whole change is a bit much. Really, to go from making some interesting music in the dubstep spectrum, to turning into Thom Yorke's future backing band is strange...

That said, I'll probably get the album and I might like it.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i think too much is being made of this big change, it's still melancholy synths, earnest chord changes and skittery loops .. just this time the snatches of cutup vocals aren't vocoded. it's not as if they've started chucking jazz chords about.

grizzleb

i think too much is being made of this big change, it's still melancholy synths, earnest chord changes and skittery loops .. just this time the snatches of cutup vocals aren't vocoded. it's not as if they've started chucking jazz chords about.
Mores the pity!! haha joke etc