Release for James Blake's 'Limit To Your Love'

wise

bare BARE BONES
Heard this before on a mix he did, thought it was an old track, very nice reminds me of John Martyn or some of the 70s folk funk stuff.
When's I never learned to share coming out? Is it going to be on the album?

Alfons

Way of the future
glad to hear this is getting a release, had been spamming his myspace profile with messages asking about it. Great tune.

benw

If this is the debut single off his vocal lp, which is out on a major label, does that mean the lp will be out on atlas too?

zhao

there are no accidents
groove not universal enough? :rolleyes:

it's not that.

it is rather that this painfully cliched cutesy coy geek emotionalism is simply not held up by the incompetent song writing or delivery.

what's more, this stuff doesn't work in terms of "experimental" laptop sound work, NOR does it deliver on "post-dance" future garage grounds. the dance floor is not just lonely in this case, that i don't mind at all, but rather FILLED with half-assed pretention.

in terms of incompetent embarrassment it is comparable to when that Mathew Dear started singing on his poppy tech-house.

i mean i respect the effort, i admire the attempt to bring "musicality" and emotion and song writing into cold machine music. and kid might develop and mature into something seriously worthwhile, i'm not going to deny the possibility, but as it is now? trust me, in 2 years no one will give a shit.

zhao

there are no accidents
and just an example of what i consider real song craft in the vein of dead earnest, soul-baring voice and electronics... i know it's really unfair because it's like comparing your little nephew's first watercolor to the sistine chapel, but just so it is clear that i'm not dismissing this James Blake on some aesthetic or stylistic prejudice.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

funny a friend of mine saw James Blake last weekend at Berghain and thought it was an utterly gorgeous show, so i've had this argument already :)

FairiesWearBoots

yeah but JB's is a cover tho, so there is already a song structure to work with?

I guess we'll have to wait to see what his original songs are like?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's alright, I mean, I quite like it...but, do people jump on anything that has this guy's name on it? Really bizarre, so overrated.

and...

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It's alright, I mean, I quite like it...but, do people jump on anything that has this guy's name on it? Really bizarre, so overrated.
I have to admit, that's kind of my response.

Or to put it more specifically, I do like the tune, but find the response a bit surprising - would anyone on here genuinely have been more than moderately surprised if they'd heard this on, say, an UNKLE album in the late nineties?