Studio 54

rivetrenuck

Dear all, here I am again, asking for more genre/era specific tunes. As always let me first apologise for pigeon-holing all these great tunes. but this time some people might actually disagree with this one.

I was watching a Documentary the other day at University, a BBC Four documentary titled
Once Upon a Time in New York: The Birth of Hip Hop, Disco and Punk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007mw93

Such an inspiring documentary, wished I could have transported myself to that era and just be in the midst of it all, even as a punter.

in any-case, i was particularly taken in by the Disco tunes and the whole Studio 54 scene. i haven't listened to much disco, always tried to get more stuff but always end up with the whole Bee Gees thing.
Some stuff that i accidental came across were Dinosaur L. thing and that was while i was digging up Arthur Russell. but of course their stuff sounds very avant garde, unless that is true disco ?

If anyone is into it, please do give me some recommends so i could get the ball rolling. After watching that documentary (don't know how accurate it is) it almost seems like nightclubs/club life owes its existence to Disco.

Client Eastwood

More later but check out some Larry Levan mixes on deephousepages.com deep dub disco styles. One of the first dj's to use the mix desk as an instrument throwing in additional fx into the mix.

jimitheexploder

There is a well good documentry called Maestro about that era its brilliant. Its a bit of a mission to find in the UK though, it might be on youtube/google video or something though...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
it almost seems like nightclubs/club life owes its existence to Disco.

Pretty much. Certainly introduced the the idea of decent soundsystem + Dj mixing + Drugs = Party
Mancuso and the Loft is the best place to start. Alot of those tracks carried on right through to hiphop and house. I think its tough enough to even try and pigeon hole that sound because they used play all sorts, Eddie Grant to Van Morrison. Forget about the BeeGee, flashing dancefloors and comedy afros for a while.
DJ Cosmo is another good one to check from those days I think.

This thread

Will right more again later.

Edit. Heres Maestro. If yer heading down the Larry route, check West end records,great tunes; he had a big hand in it.

Last edited:

Richard Carnage

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Well if you're being pedantic (like I all too often am), Mancuso mixed for a while and then gave it up in favour of playing full length tracks, all about the selection etc.

By the late '70s Mancuso abandoned audio mixing, beatmatching and pitch-shifting, in favor of an "audiophile" approach to sound reproduction.
;)

It was a separate point anyway. ( disco itself pioneered the soundsystem + Dj mixing + Dru.... idea. )
Disco-disco is top site too

rivetrenuck

god bless youtube!

Another great documentary! Maestro. Loving it!

If only one could listen to these sets by Mancuso. of course it was all about the space and the people. I guess thats whats missing these days. You could do anything crazy or non crazy. nothing is really exciting nowdays except nostalgia maybe?

great information but havent got any decent records yet. will check out them websites.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
There must be a few recordings from Loft kicking around the net somewhere.
He's still going to this day anyway, heres a mix from 08.
Id recommend anyone to follow that guy's soundcloud aswell. Amazing archive of mixes. Some real history lessons in there.