Grime-Soft Cell connection?

Karl Kraft

Somebody alluded to this just once on thier blog (I think Simon Reynolds), and I was really curious to read anything more. Was this discussed in any depth among the blogs or ILM? I can't seem to find anything. Thnx

mms

sometimes
i dunno but i do recall hearing a 2 step version of tainted love plus ages ago scare dem did a riddim based around them

appleblim

yeh it was 'joy' by mark ruff ryder weren't it? stalwart of the strictly underground label....

heard that loads on the pirates at the time, and with lots of mcs chattin over it

nomos

Administrator
Yeah I've got two versions of that. I think both are Mark Ryder and MC Vapour. One is labelled "Joy" and has a chorus. The other is a rip from Force FM and it's more freeform with no chorus, just the "check this out sample." It's labelled "Muffins."

nick.K

gabba survivor
from the BBC

Soft Cell singer Marc Almond is in a "stable" condition in hospital after a motorcycle crash in central London.
The singer was injured after he was pillion passenger on a bike that collided with a car near St Paul's Cathedral on Sunday. Both he and the rider were taken to hospital. Almond had emergency surgery and is being treated in intensive care.

rob_giri

ah Reynolds always makes those ridiculous connections, always to great hilarity. His Dizzee Rascal-Sylvian's Japan for instance. Brilliant

Karl Kraft

Thanks, I did catch that 2 step version of tainted love, pretty good from what I remember.
I dont see the comparison as ridiculous, the reason I was interested was because I had made a vague connection myself, sonicaly that is. I don't mean the vocal style or lyrics, not much chance of shout outs to Mark Almond (get well soon btw) from Dubzilla etc..I imagine, but the music. Also made a connection, just as bizzarely, with Dancehall.
Would love to read anything anyone else has to say who might have more insight into sonic parrallels.

mms

sometimes
i hear early human league in some of the tracks, not so sure about soft cell personally, although the track is obviously massivley popular, but that's cos its great.

blissblogger

it was

never meant as anything but a whimsical and most tenuous link
-- i found some marc almond quote with him harping on about beautiful losers and decadence and sleaze, where he said something about the importance of that little bit of grime
-- his fan club is called Gutterhearts -- this struck me at a time when the mcs were always going on about gutter this and sewer that

labrat

hot on the heels of love
during the early Harcore days I was in the Wigan Pier nightclub. I went for a wee,and low and behold someone had dropped a tape .Health and safety wasnt a priority back in the day so i picked it up and took it home....on listening it was fine (beltram,human resource,la style etc) but after the toonz some sonicly
astute Wiganer had taped Being Boiled .I was v impressed.