Enter The Void

Shadow Face

shadow face

I desperately want to see this film.
has anyone had the chance to watch it?
(Gaspar Noe's latest effort for those that didn't know)

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah, drugs, tokyo, classic afx, and fucking your mates mum. whats not to like?

certainly looks better than the pointless exercise in gratuitous violence that was irreversible

grizzleb

It's a really crazy film, I have never seen anything quite like it. Glad I got to see it at the cinema, it looks visually amazing. The film isn't an 'ideas' film per se, the images of the neon tokyo kind of act as a metaphor for the movie as a whole - style that punches you in the face without really that much substance. It's so well done technically, some of the shots are ridiculous. The opening sequence is fucking amazing.

gumdrops

awesome film. did drag a little 3/4 through but as a 'pure' cinematic experience, ie barely any dialogue at times, just pure sound and inspired visuals, it was incredibly satisfying, and quite trippy in places, esp the beginning too, which sort of sealed the deal for me. yeah some of the acting isnt amazing and the plot isnt exactly sophisticated, but that was never the point anyway. amazing film. easily one of the best ive seen this year. maybe the best in fact.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really hated it, I like his previous but this was just rubbish, superficial hippie shit. He's ruined getting decent production money for any other film that uses drugs as tropes for quite a while. It was indulgent, the visuals were disappointing, the acting was awful, god, I could keep going. Was such a shame, I was really looking forward to it.

zhao

there are no accidents
hahaha i love it when people who share similar tastes and world views disagree COMPLETELY about a movie.

last real divisive one i can remember was the one about no more children in future england you know the one with dubstep on the soundtrack.

gumdrops

keep thinking i want to see it again but just not got round to it yet. def would be nowhere near as effective at home.

gumdrops

oh, also, the camerawork for this was really quite special (reminded me of some of the stuff park chan wook did in thirst), and the title sequence was great too ;) some of the more repetitively graphic/blatantly out to shock moments i could have done without though.

mistersloane

The title sequence was the best thing about it. Just do a gram of k instead of rewatching it, it'll be more fun, deeper and the visuals will be better.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
It was indulgent, the visuals were disappointing, the acting was awful, god, I could keep going. Was such a shame, I was really looking forward to it.

Am I deaf and blind, i really don't notice the acting. All the characters felt real to me if a little dumb and stoned. I don't really think it was about the acting it was much more about the trip. It gets too long and absurd at the end but heh you got to give him some credit for the death scene, that's genius. The club scenes too were excellently done, really caught the vibe, how many bad club scenes can you think of in movies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I finally got round to watching this and I pretty underwhelmed to be honest. As someone said, the title sequence was awesome, kind of like a twenty-first century update of a Godard beginning, but that was the best moment. The flying camera was cool but some of the computer stuff (the DMT trip for eg) is gonna look so dated in the fairly near future and the sequence with the sperm at the end would have looked dated ten years ago.
I agree as well about the acting; not all the time, but too often for something so ambitious, you were dragged out of any sense of belief by the lack of realism in performances. The emptiness of the characterisation I assume was deliberate as was the triteness of the buddhist stuff but what were you really left with apart from some occasionally pretty stuff to look at? And did it really need to be so long?

"last real divisive one i can remember was the one about no more children in future england you know the one with dubstep on the soundtrack."
Children of Men right?

zhao

there are no accidents
whats not to like?

a better question would have been: why would i give a shit???

there is no other option here than to side with Mr. Sloane.

3 hours of the camera zooming into lights, wandering aimlessly, and meanless shit happening to people i don't care about.

vapid horrible waste of time for all involved. a real disgrace in modern cinema.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think Gaspar Noe is a film maker who really tries to make good and interesting films (lots don't as far as I can tell) and for that he should be applauded - the problem is he's just not capable of reaching what he's aiming for, maybe he'll make a good film at some point in the future if he keeps being ambitious. I met him just before Christmas but I didn't have the balls to tell him what I thought (like he'd have cared) so I'll say it here like the coward that I am.

mistersloane

I think Gaspar Noe is a film maker who really tries to make good and interesting films (lots don't as far as I can tell) and for that he should be applauded - the problem is he's just not capable of reaching what he's aiming for, maybe he'll make a good film at some point in the future if he keeps being ambitious. I met him just before Christmas but I didn't have the balls to tell him what I thought (like he'd have cared) so I'll say it here like the coward that I am.

I think that's what made it all the more disappointing, that there is a great film in him somewhere.
I know people that know him as well and they were embarrassed by this one. He just didn't make the grade on it, it felt like he spent too much of the budget on his own drugs. I loved Irreversible and he's obviously a clever wayward bunny but he really needed reigning in on this project and it just felt like he insisted on doing what he wanted, rather than getting a good editor in.
I also hate his latent homophobia, I didn't mind it in Irreversible but in this one it just felt like a recurring reactionary trope.

mistersloane

It gets too long and absurd at the end but heh you got to give him some credit for the death scene, that's genius. The club scenes too were excellently done, really caught the vibe, how many bad club scenes can you think of in movies.

Death scene was OK, club scene not baaaad, the Fire Walk With Me club scene is darker but yeah I know what you mean. I just wanted it to be GREAT, and it so obviously isn't.

muser

yea from what it looks like he spent a good time in tokyo on another planet, in the vbs interview with him during the shoot he defintiely had the crazed look of someone who had indulged in way to many pyschadelics. Claims were made he hadn't slept for two weeks before they found him aswell.

I enjoyed the film, even though the acting was terrible, there was no plot and it got very boring near the end. Visually it was compelling enough for me to just enjoy just watching it, the use of sound in the film was brilliant aswell. I think its rare these visual fx companies get to experiment so creatively with the technology so I think it was a good thing. The relentless crash scenes were probably the most effective use of "shock" cinema I have ever seen aswell, they were technically brilliant.