Kode9 plays Burial - Club to Club 2010

JWoulf

kinda sounds like traditional chinese music. Think Burial might have lost it. btw, anyone remember when burial released untrue (or when his identity got exposed don't remember) he said he had actually made a whole release of very intricate music that he decided to scrap, and instead made untrue in like a couple of weeks?

mms

sometimes
kinda sounds like traditional chinese music. Think Burial might have lost it. btw, anyone remember when burial released untrue (or when his identity got exposed don't remember) he said he had actually made a whole release of very intricate music that he decided to scrap, and instead made untrue in like a couple of weeks?

show us the interview

ThinKing

Page 2:

Burial said:
I had this bunch of tunes for my 2nd album that were dark tunes, and I just scrapped them. I took ages on them. I was worrying, because after my first album I felt a bit of pressure to follow it up. I worked for hours on these tunes, and I was trying to learn these programmes. These tunes were darker, more technical, all the tunes sounded like some kind of weapon that was being taken apart and put back together again.

But then I got sort of sick of them, because I spent so long on them, I was moody about other things. So I wanted to make a glowing record, I wanted to cheer myself up. Instead of doing those dark tunes that took ages and were really detailed, I wanted to make a record fast. Something warm, glowing, junglist and garagey. I was listening to these Guy Called Gerald tunes. I wanted to do vocals but I can’t get a proper singer like him.

So I cut up acapellas and made different sentences, even if they didn’t make sense but they summed up what I was feeling. I love those Foul Play and Omni Trio tunes where it was just the girl next door singing, So I got a lot of those quite low-quality vocals and started to pitch them up and down. You can do it really fast. I sort of did the whole album in about two weeks. Most of it in the final week.

I've always loved that quote about weapon dis-/reassembly and I mourn the scrapping of those tunes.