Nicky Minaj

D

droid

Old news to most of you I'm sure, but I have almost no exposure to the charts... WOW! Like Missy crossed with Lady gaga (except good). Bit of a patois thing going on in parts too:

This one has that william twat and is an obvious cash in... but at 2:40 its sublime - and then they bring in the think!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:

Krasner

I think her verse on Monster perfectly demonstrates how awesome she can be. All the big stars sleepwalk through the track then she comes in with about 10 different flows and just destroys it. Amazing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CrowleyHead

Best female rapper since Shante. Undeniable fact. Was battering the hell out of her "Bring Me Up Scotty" mixtape last year.

D

droid

I think her verse on Monster perfectly demonstrates how awesome she can be. All the big stars sleepwalk through the track then she comes in with about 10 different flows and just destroys it. Amazing.

Thats killer. Love the way she fucks with her vocal tone & accents.

nomos

Administrator
the harajuku barbie mixtape has a lot of good bits. her verses definitely have a way of livening up an otherwise dead track (or showing up her host). looking forward to the album, though she's made comments about toning down the weirdness (after 'massive attack' bombed).

this one was in my head non-stop for weeks. (along with the cognitive dissonance of alan thicke's son making strip club anthems.)

sampling STICKY!

Last edited:
D

droid

Thanks Paul!

"ting a ling a ling, school bell a ring" "Dutty wine like Tony Matterhorn" She's all over the dancehall references.

Someone bust Ninjaman out of jail for a duet please!

nomos

Administrator
Someone bust Ninjaman out of jail for a duet please!
:cool: nicki v. wiley non-sequiter battle too

her verse on letting go is sweet

D

droid

Shits all over Eminem here:

D

droid

There's a dubstep tune full of Saxon samples on her mixtape... Lickwood!

computer_rock

I have a crush on Nicky Minaj over here bigger than a monster

nickiminajnickiminaj.jpg

nomos

Administrator
blazin :cool:

petergunn

plywood violin
mad last pass for everyone w/ a crush on minajjjjjjjjjjj...

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?9574-Hot-New-Skool-Babes&p=210051#post210051

i am sorta over her now that she is on one out of every 5 songs on Hot 97... and i think Timberlee does the black valley girl schtick better...

plus the whole "fake butt, fake tits" rumor is sorta a bummer...

nomad makes an interesting comment in the above "new skool babes" thread saying:

"lil kim: nicki minaj ------- madonna: lady gaga"

while on the subway two weeks ago i realized that the correct comparison is:

"lil kim: nicki minaj -------- bruce lee: jackie chan"

this is true, i swear...

BareBones

wheezy
So it seems pink friday follows the standard r&b album template of being 50% fire and 50% meh. The good bits are really, really good though.

Last edited:
D

droid

So it seems pink friday follows the standard r&b album template of being 50% fire and 50% meh. The good bits are really, really good though.

Yeah - disappointing, though that tune was a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Just listened to her album and it's shit. A couple good tracks but the majority is faceless, throwaway, paint-by-numbers radio pop. She seems very confused and maybe a little embarrassed. After all the work she's clearly put in fostering this left field eccentric style and image, it's bizarre that when it came to putting her album together she decided to virtually ignore it completely. Either someone sinister has been whispering in her ear and making her question herself or perhaps deep down she really just wants to be Rihanna. It's a shame because it makes her whole shtick being cynical and contrived a very real possibility.

I think Noz (Cocaine Blunts) summed it up well:
"Pink Friday is total let down. I wish Nicki would've made just one rap album before becoming Fergie"