Music conferences - any thoughts?

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Winter Music Conference, Amsterdam Dance Event, In The City - do any of you on here that are working in the industry find these kind of things relevant to Dissensus-ish music?

I was at ITC about a decade ago and quite liked it, but I was in more of an indie rock mindset at the time. The panels were great either way though.

The WMC was interesting, but I remember it being more a house and techno thing. Also, the conference itself (i.e. the overpriced panels and workshops) should be avoided at all costs.

Is the ADE worth checking out? There are a lot of people from here that go to MIDEM (it's a French thing) but that's some serious high-level shit - not very much about underground music.

Curious to know your thoughts.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I suppose it was just getting the romantic view direct from the poxy journalists that got flown out but as a teenager would have killed to get to the WMC. All these whispers and rumours of the big heads meeting up and swapping promos. Then we would have to wait until September after Ibiza to get our hands on them. Dream line-ups at night and then sprawled out on the beach all day. Getting slipped a copy of Stardust from some French dude and having a pint with Oakenfold and all that cráic.

The majors aren't keeping an eye on them like they used to and I guess their abit redundant now days with the internet but,
still a good excuse for a party and make the odd connection you mightn't online. I think there was a good few from here at ADE, seemed to get good reports.

The hype(?) with whole Mala/Skream/Shocklee thing a few years back might turned a few more heads stateside but I don't get mixmag anymore so who knows.

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Ah, the romance of the other side of the ocean....

For me the WMC was always a bit boring - it was Ibiza that seemed exactly like you described. Doing drugs off of Sasha's groupies or whatnot.

Now even if there aren't that many bass music-related events, Miami's still way the hell warmer than Montreal in March. All it needs is, say, a RinseFM showcase and I'd probably head down this year.

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Just a little bump now that we're on the edge of MIDEM.

Anyone preparing their French verbs and business cards?