Ooh Aah Cantona!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interesting. I'm still not sure whether I like him or not, or on the sensibleness of this idea. Transferring money to more ethical banks or to cooperative-type set-ups, absolutely, but, as someone says in the comments there, targetting retail banks is unlikely to harm the investment banks, no?

Btw:
"In 1995 he was given a nine-month ban after launching a karate kick at a Crystal Palace fan who shouted racist abuse at the former Manchester United star after he was sent off" - what did the guy actually shout anyways? Unless Cantona has some heritage I'm unaware of (quite possible), then, er....

hucks

Your Message Here
Btw:
"In 1995 he was given a nine-month ban after launching a karate kick at a Crystal Palace fan who shouted racist abuse at the former Manchester United star after he was sent off" - what did the guy actually shout anyways? Unless Cantona has some heritage I'm unaware of (quite possible), then, er....

The fan called him a French prick or something. I'm fairly certain th guy then attacked the judge at his own hearing.

So this doesn't seem like the most economically literate idea ever, but it could be quite interesting. I've just finished reading Whoops by John Lanchester (the updated version), where he calls the crisis the biggest missed opportunity ever. And OK the attraction of Eric's idea is very much of the form "Something should be done. This is something. So we should do it" but it's staggering how few articulate alternatives there are to simply propping up the current system (see Ireland for today's example)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The fan called him a French prick or something. I'm fairly certain th guy then attacked the judge at his own hearing.

So this doesn't seem like the most economically literate idea ever, but it could be quite interesting. I've just finished reading Whoops by John Lanchester (the updated version), where he calls the crisis the biggest missed opportunity ever. And OK the attraction of Eric's idea is very much of the form "Something should be done. This is something. So we should do it" but it's staggering how few articulate alternatives there are to simply propping up the current system (see Ireland for today's example)

Ok. I'm sure David Beckham has been called a 'limey asshole' in America/Spain (well, whateevr the Spanish is for it) lots of times, but no-one goes on about him suffering 'racist abuse'. Bizarre writing by the Guardian. Yeah, the guy was in the National Front I believe too, hence to the Guardian Cantona's haranguing obviously becomes racist abuse....

I agree, it's difficult to arrive at something that will rok to scare the banks, so it works onthe level of a gesture. I just don't think storing the cash under the bed is goign to get old very soon...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I agree, it's difficult to arrive at something that will rok to scare the banks, so it works onthe level of a gesture. I just don't think storing the cash under the bed is goign to get old very soon...

I just don't think asking 'the people' to DO anything is gonna work, hence coming up with the inactivity ("just stay in bed for a day") general strike thing instead, I think it's easier for people to do nothing than to do something, so you work around that.

I think it'll be interesting as a first mass attempt to see how it goes. I can't withdraw any more money from the bank though, so alas can't participate.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I just don't think asking 'the people' to DO anything is gonna work, hence coming up with the inactivity ("just stay in bed for a day") general strike thing instead, I think it's easier for people to do nothing than to do something, so you work around that.

I think it'll be interesting as a first mass attempt to see how it goes. I can't withdraw any more money from the bank though, so alas can't participate.

I think the general strike is a good idea, yep.

As to people doing anything, we are talking about France in the first instance, so much more chance than in England!

vimothy

yurp
Hmm, mass cash withdrawals sounds like a good idea for a few seconds, but I'm not sure that intentionally creating bank runs is actually all that clever... Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
My Dad is the spitting image of Eric Cantona. Pre-jungle hair Cantona, that is. A little weird.

Damien

I know this has already been answered but I thought I would chip in with what I immediately thought after reading your question:

that if it's anything like the abuse I used to hurl at David Ginola when he came back to St James after leaving Newcastle then it would something along the lines of 'f*** off you French wanker' :D:D ah the good old days